Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Host to Host VPS backup/mirror like drive image
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Host to Host VPS backup/mirror like drive image

raihan0888raihan0888 Member
edited February 2013 in General

Which vps platform(openvz,xen,kvm) is easy to transfer/backup like drive image.

Someone setup my vps with some application,conifguration,hardening,securing then I need to backup that vps in remote location before re-edit any setting.

Can you guys please tell how i backup that vps and able to reuse in my laptop or any other same platform vps?
My concern is that,BAckedup vps working in other vps for changing ip address?

Comments

• If it's OpenVZ, just asking to host to provide a vzdump is very easy and getting the same or another host to restore on new vps from that is also very easy.

• EvixoEvixo Member
    edited February 2013

It's a bit harder when you don't have access to the node itself (which is common when you have a VPS). You can ask your host for backup of a LVM snapshot so there's no downtime needed. That's how we create backups.

• OpenVZ would be easier for the host

• CVPS_LucCVPS_Luc Member
    edited February 2013

Openvz is the easier way to doing it and it don't require a lot of work for the host. Only few simple steps.

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

can't you use SolusVM "quick backup" feature?

"Quick backup allows you to create an image of your virtual server and have it delivered to you within your virtual server."

soluvm quick backup

• The easiest way is to ask the host for a backup of the VPS. If you want to do it yourself from inside the VPS, on KVM you can boot the Clonezilla ISO and backup the VPS disk to a file on a remote VPS target. Then, restore the backup on another KVM VPS or on a virtual machine on your PC. Its very like drive image. You may need to adjust the configuration on the restored VPS to match the new IP address.
    Clonezilla is open source, so you can ask the host to add the ISO to solusvm control panel.