Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Minimum Specs for Solus Master
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Minimum Specs for Solus Master

HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider
edited February 2013 in General

What would be the minimum requirements of a SolusVM Master, can't seem to find it anywhere. Also do you guys think its a good idea to have your master on a Xen VPS?

Comments

• agoldenbergagoldenberg Member, Host Rep

You can run it on as little as 8GB of RAM but as with any other kind of server, the fewer the resources the fewer the machines you can host.

CentOS 5/6 doesn't use a whole lot of RAM.

• @agoldenberg said: run it on as little as 8GB of RAM

implys you need 8gb ram

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

@agoldenberg said: You can run it on as little as 8GB of RAM but as with any other kind of server, the fewer the resources the fewer the machines you can host.

CentOS 5/6 doesn't use a whole lot of RAM.

8GB? I thought it would be much lower :s like around 2-4

• @agoldenberg said: You can run it on as little as 8GB of RAM but as with any other kind of server, the fewer the resources the fewer the machines you can host.

I don't believe he is looking to host VMs on the master, just the SolusVM master that communicates with the slaves.

• If you don't plan to have any VM on your solus master and only want to use it as a controller, you could get away with using 1gb of ram and 20gb of disk space. It depends on how many OS templates you have.

@CVPS_Kevin said: I don't believe he is looking to host VMs on the master, just the SolusVM master that communicates with the slaves.

^ that

@DamienSB said: If you don't plan to have any VM on your solus master and only want to use it as a controller, you could get away with using 1gb of ram and 20gb of disk space. It depends on how many OS templates you have.

Yeah thats what I thought, I was thinking of getting a DDoS protected XEN or KVM VPS for this

• 512mb with 10gb of space would be fine on xen. just create dummy files for templates with zero size to save space on solusvm master.

• The specs needed really depends on how busy your database is. For our master we have a dedicated box for it with no VMs, on an E3-1230 with 2x drives in HW RAID1 and 16GB of RAM. It's already overkill for our needs but as our database is quite busy at times so we want to leave a little wiggle room, and this master box will suit us for a while as it leaves lots of room for future growth.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

1GB RAM is safe.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

I I use a DigitalOcean SSD VPS with 1GB RAM and 20GB of disk. It's more than enough!

• I have a 1GB Box with BuyVM

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Mine is a simple 1Gb box at Hostigation.

Most likely going with a 1gb BuyVM for this

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Are you all saying that your SolusVM master is in a different datacenter/provider than the servers from which you are provisioning from?

Maybe a different DC isn't that weird if latency isn't a big deal, and I suppose it has to happen for those who have multiple locations...but on a VPS provided by another company...?

• eLohkCalbeLohkCalb Member
    edited February 2013

If you have no plans to store the OS images on the master, it'd take very little space, and it'd run nicely with 256MB of RAM. However to be safe, just make sure you can upgrade the plan along the way.

• What's wrong with you all, we use 256MB openvz and usage never goes above half.

• "Hey guys, we'll try be the edgy little cunts we are and run SolusVM with 64MB RAM! Oh boy, I can't fucking wait for something to blow up and we're screwed!"

Seriously? Re-think your business.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited February 2013

@GetKVM_Ash yup 256MB is what we run our solus on, planning to move all the internal stuff on to a box soon.

Had too many disasters with VPS Providers.(Last time sandy took out our master, without a recent backup and it had to be rebuilt).

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited February 2013

@murky who are you referring too?

• edited February 2013

@Jacob said: Had too many disasters with VPS Providers.(Last time sandy took out our master, without a recent backup and it had to be rebuilt.

Backup backup backup

• @ShardHost FTP Backups are put on a shared account, which I completely forgot that HostGator issued me a new IP Address, and when the time come and I checked the directory. Oh shii..!

• @GetKVM_Ash said: What's wrong with you all, we use 256MB openvz and usage never goes above half.

You need more at times, e.g. when adding a tonne of IPv6 :p

• I've never had any problems adding ipv6 pools :p

• PiDudePiDude Member
    edited February 2013

We run our Solus master on a 1GB VPS, but it never uses more than 256MB usually.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@GetKVM_Ash said: What's wrong with you all, we use 256MB openvz and usage never goes above half.

Exactly the same, openvz 256mb ram. Does its job.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

Our Master is currently consuming around 2GB of RAM on a KVM box (around 10-12 slaves are connected to it). All our internal stuff are hosted on Dual quad xeon with 16 gigs of RAM.

• @DamienSB said: It depends on how many OS templates you have.

This.

Realistically, SolusVM can run on as little as 256 mb of ram. Size reducing MySQL config + replacing the current httpd with nginx (they have a script on their wiki), it really doesn't need much. Just PHP.

If you get more than 20 gb of templates, you should look into ways to reduce your impact. I'm working on switching our KVM infrastructure from ISO's to PXE boot... for OpenVZ and Xen you can have an init script that pulls the bulk of everything on first boot.

• We using a 4 VMs in an Raid10 GlusterFS setup to provide a ha environment for our templates and isos. We don´t host any templates on the solusvm master. So we need only two VMs with 20GB space and 512MB RAM. Both VMs are hosted on a DRBD nodes to provide a fail-over mechanism.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited February 2013

512MB Gigenet Cloud works ace, creating empty files for templates/isos so only use few gb disk space on master.