Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CentOS 6 Update-Only Repo !
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CentOS 6 Update-Only Repo !

SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
edited December 2011 in General

Hello,
I've been working on a CentOS 6 Update-only Repo off lately, Mainly to provide the latest builds / releases of applications for CentOS 6,

The "Project" is hosted on a VPS sponsored by VMPort. I would also like to add that the project is no way near complete, As everyone knows, a CentOS or any other OS repo is huge, and hosting one needs loads of storage, If any "Provider" can contribute a VPS, PM me :)

The Repo Currently contains only 32bit updates, 64bit updates will be added in soon (maby 1 - 2 hours later)

It currently contains 452 RPM's (Will update with more soon)

Link to the repo :
http://servphp.org/centos/

You'll have to update your /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Base.repo with this repo to get it working :)

[update]
name=CentOS-$releasever - Updates
baseurl=http://servphp.org/centos/6/updates/i386/

Thanks !

Comments

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2011

Repo is down for update now :) adding in more apps :)

**EDIT **: Its online now, 32 bit full repo is there :)

• Doesn't CentOS have their own repo servers?

• @drmike said: Doesn't CentOS have their own repo servers?

Most likely updated versions that aren't in the CentOS repo.

Yup, its got all the latest stuff in it :)

• @SpeedBus said: Yup, its got all the latest stuff in it :)

How often is it updated?

edited December 2011

^^ daily, I've setup a cron for it :) it emails me the latest stuff which is available and it updates itself :)

• I'm sorry, I really don't see the point of this, can someone explain it for me? If you wanted to create a repo, why not mirror CentOS, but to create a limited repo that is not rpmforge or epel quality seems redundant, if you want more current packages, run Scientific Linux.

edited December 2011

thanks for the suggestion, for now the php, mysql and apache are all upto date.
    I'll mirror a few other repositorys too and update the packages here with those. is the scientific linux repository 100% compatible with centos ?

• @SpeedBus said: is the scientific linux repository 100% compatible with centos ?

Yes and no, SL is a distro like CentOS is a distro, without the drama, that strives to be 100% binary compatable with RHEL

hmmm...so they'll work with centos ?
    im just confirming as im guessing that the repository will be really huge :)

• @SpeedBus said: so they'll work with centos ?

Yes and no, CentOS/RHEL/Scientific Linux is all RHEL for a simplistic understanding.

CentOS has some major drama going on and has fallen very far behind RHEL, while Scientific Linux lacks these problems, and therefore is much more current in respect to RHEL. All will always be very far behind the latest greatest version of any package, and for good reason, stability. Security updates are very quick to be released, but stability is their goal here, if you want to run bleeding edge, run Arch.

• @miTgiB said: I'm sorry, I really don't see the point of this, can someone explain it for me?

Gets babes. :)

• @drmike said: Gets babes

If you mean kids, mine are teens now.

• @miTgiB said: If you mean kids, mine are teens now.

Replenish the herd. :)

I'll setup 2 more branches -
    testing (something between latest and stable) and latest (untested)

so we'll have 3 branches :
    stable
    latest
    testing

• Don't know ab0out others but I equate latest to stable.

edited December 2011

@drmike : Hmm.. I was thinking of :
    Stable (Older but works always)
    Latest (New, Tested)
    Testing (Latest, No Testing Done)

Update : Stable repo updated, adding testing branch now.

New homepage for the repo ! http://servphp.org/centos-repo.html

• NickMNickM Member
    edited December 2011

You may want to include some actual information on the repo homepage. Where do the packages actually come from? Do you compile them yourself, or is this a mirror of some other repo? Where should bugs be reported? What makes your repo better than remi or EPEL?

What if there's a security vulnerability in the packages you're distributing? Are you going to patch them yourself, or will they have to wait for... well, whoever your upstream is, to patch them? Heck, how would someone even find out there's a vulnerability? Do you have a mailing list that one can subscribe to to get security bulletins related to these packages?

These are all pretty important questions that I would have if I came across your repo's homepage, especially since its software that you didn't write.

edited December 2011

@NickM : I don't compile them my self yet, will start soon once I add in the latest packages this week.

I'll be adding a bugtracker for this project too. I'll add a blog to address the security
    issues.

EDIT : The BugTracker has been added with the category "ServPHP CentOS Repository"
    here : http://servphp.org/bugtracker

All bugs can be reported there :)

I'll add the blog soon.

• @NickM said: You may want to include some actual information on the repo homepage.

cough cough

Hmmm, that sounds familiar.

Updated the repo :)