Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner Vs Online.net - Which one should I choose?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner Vs Online.net - Which one should I choose?

pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep
edited May 2016 in General

Hey,

I'm looking to move my personal media server again, and I need some opinions.

I started with Worldstream, but the server was unstable and lost connectivity every couple weeks. I moved to OVH, went through a couple of their boxes, wanted something more powerful and decided on Online.net mWOPR 2015 SSD (Which is a absolute beast)

Now that I never go above 10% cpu avg and I have a 200+ user plex host running off it. So can't justify the cost.

I've been looking at dropping to a ~50euro monthly budget and wanted to try a new provider (Online wont give me free setup on the one I wanted)

I was looking at Hetzner's auctions and have decided on one I like, but want to check with the combined wisdom of the community to tell me if I'm making the right choice or whatever.

Tks

Proof of plex: http://grab.by/OYpg

Poll not found

Comments

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

I'd go with Hetzner, tho.

Thanked by 1pbgben
    • I'd go with Hetzner too.

Thanked by 1MikePT
    • +1 for online.net

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Both are fine.

• 420420 Member

Hetzner, cos Dedibox XC 2016 out of stock :v :v

• ivankivank Member

Hetzner still instantly null-routes you if you get DDoSed, right?

• VbroVbro Member

Online.net really good but setup fees are too high. I don't know SYS truly unmetered or not.

Try https://www.soyoustart.com/en/essential-servers/

https://www.ipserver.su/en/prices/cats/view/id/2

• chonkchonk Member

Hetzner has a good network, but they don't have DDoS protection. Also for shared hosting server, if one of client website got malicious software and send spam, you're in trouble with abuse department.

Hetzner also have server bidding, which is great. Without setup fees, you can find good servers with good specs.

Online.net have some good servers and they have basic DDoS protection. Also they have KVM IP access. But they have too high setup fees. (Hetzner have much higher setup fees when you want to order new servers)

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Im sticking to OVH for hosted services, but looking for low cost system for personal stuff, voip, private TS, plex etc.

How are they with light torrenting?

• 420420 Member

@pbgben said:
      Im sticking to OVH for hosted services, but looking for low cost system for personal stuff, voip, private TS, plex etc.

how about wholesales ?

@420 said:

@pbgben said:

how about wholesales ?

As in USA? Im looking for EU atm

Thanked by 1Lee
    • 420420 Member
      edited May 2016

@pbgben said:
      As in USA? Im looking for EU atm

Yep USA, for EU maybe you can try i3d. net/deals .
      one of my friend using them about a year now and he say never had any problem.

• drdrakedrdrake Member

@pbgben said:

Does OVH have 1Gbps network? I am only seeing 250mbps.

• @Arjon said:

@pbgben said:

Does OVH have 1Gbps network? I am only seeing 250mbps.

1 Gbps, with 250 or 500 guaranteed

• ovh

• WickedWicked Member
      edited May 2016

https://www.worldstream.nl/special Very good network, used them a few years ago and would go back if they had DDoS protection. Nice location and staff too.

But if it has to be Online or Hetzner I would probably go with Hetzner if it was for personal use.

• FalzoFalzo Member

Wicked said: https://www.worldstream.nl/special Very good network, used them a few years ago and would go back if they had DDoS protection. Nice location and staff too.

pbgben said: I started with Worldstream, but the server was unstable and lost connectivity every couple weeks.

probably doesn't match up well ;-)

+1 for hetzner auctions. you can cancel the service within first two weeks without paying anything, so you can easily try for yourself.
      only if you fear ddos attacks and don't want to be nullrouted in case of such incidents go with someone else.

or wait for the next online.net special - but probably no one can tell you when this might happen ;-)

Bit the bullet and went with Online again,

Dedibox MD 2016

Thanked by 2vimalware Rhys
    • AshleyUkAshleyUk Member
      edited May 2016

@pbgben said:
      Bit the bullet and went with Online again,

Dedibox MD 2016

Seems like you was lucky and ended up on a non congested top of the rack switch.

Have seen their speeds vary massively between racks just down to your friendly rack neighbours.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member
      edited May 2016

Even after their amsix upgrade my download speeds from Germany are bouncing between 3-10mb/s, but if I put the server behind CloudFlare I get the full 12mb/s I usually get.

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

Online.net . Everything is great, the only disadvantage is that they don't have IPv6 rDNS and additional IPv4s cost a lot.

• RhysRhys Member, Host Rep

@4n0nx said:
      Online.net . Everything is great, the only disadvantage is that they don't have IPv6 rDNS and additional IPv4s cost a lot.

:: ~ 1 » host 2001:bc8:39ad:1:feed:face:dead:beef
      f.e.e.b.d.a.e.d.e.c.a.f.d.e.e.f.1.0.0.0.d.a.9.3.8.c.b.0.1.0.0.2.ip6.arpa domain name pointer help.lux.melted.me.

Online.net offer IPv6 rDNS.

Thanked by 14n0nx
    • 4n0nx4n0nx Member

MeltedLux said: Online.net offer IPv6 rDNS.

ohey is that relatively "new"?

Just checked my panel and it says "To enable reverse DNS delegation you must set a minimum of 2 name servers. You can have a maximum of 5 name servers.".

Soo.. do I have to set up my own DNS server and set rDNS there? ,_,

Thanked by 1Rhys
    • rds100rds100 Member
      edited May 2016

4n0nx said: Soo.. do I have to set up my own DNS server and set rDNS there? ,_,

http://dns.he.net

And yes, DNS delegation means pointing the zone to your name servers.

Thanked by 3Rhys 4n0nx Spacedust
    • 4n0nx4n0nx Member

@rds100 thanks! Now to figure out he.net and then how to set it up myself.

Is there a reason why online.net wouldn't just let their customers set it in their panel, just like they let customers set IPv4 rDNS?

• rds100rds100 Member

@4n0nx i don't know what kind of subnet online.net is giving you, but if it's /64 - there are 18446744073709551616 possible hosts in it. Perhaps they don't want someone to try to push so many records to their (online.net's) databases / name severs.

Thanked by 14n0nx
    • ButtersButters Member

@AshleyUk said:
      Seems like you was lucky and ended up on a non congested top of the rack switch.

>

Have seen their speeds vary massively between racks just down to your friendly rack neighbours.

My kidechire :)

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Do you enjoy being sworn at in foreign languages? Do you enjoy lackluster support that aims to blame the customer as much as they can? Do you enjoy being falsely accused of DDoS? If so, Online.net is the host for you.

• notgodnotgod Member

Hetzner's not bad, but if order in auctions, recommended 3 hard to build Raid5 or 2disk build Raid1 to keep data safe, because they are very old hard drives. i have try it last times, has much this problem https://www.google.com/search?q=Hetzner+bad+disk

• lootloot Member

Sworn at in foreign languages? Did online.net go full Swahili in the past few weeks?