Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who is the best Tier1 transit provider (Level3, Telia,NTT,GTT, Tata, Sprint, FT,DT)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Who is the best Tier1 transit provider (Level3, Telia,NTT,GTT, Tata, Sprint, FT,DT)

Who is your fav Tier1 transit provider? (Level3, Telia,NTT,GTT, Tata, Sprint, France Telecom ,Deutch Telecom)?
Please excuse cogent or hurricane from the discussion!

Number Uno
  1. Level345 votes
    1. Telia
      53.33%
    2. NTT
      31.11%
    3. GTT
        4.44%
    4. Tata
        6.67%
    5. Sprint
        0.00%
    6. France Telecom
        0.00%
    7. Deutch Telecom
        4.44%

Comments

• RyanDRyanD Member

There is no best carrier, only the best for a specific prefix.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • Overall?

• AshleyUkAshleyUk Member
    edited May 2016

@netirons said:
    Overall?

Depends where your going from, where your going too, who your connected to, how congested that particular peering point is e.t.c

A blend of all the above with proper routing would be the best, no single home network will cover you with good general performamce to everywhere.

• matteobmatteob Barred
    edited May 2016

For my opinion and my needs Level3 is the best we have found in term of connected network and security service. For the support their not the best if you not buy some additional costly service with builtin SLA.

NTT is also good carrier, good route, never congested and fast support replies. Security team is very responsible and price is awesome, but they have limited optional features.

If your judge is only on routes there is no one best. Some are better in Europe, some in U.S. etc.

I see in these months CogentCo growing well. they can be considered inside a bgp enviroment.

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2016

Depends a bit on what location your customers will come from. Some carriers have better routes to Asia and vice versa. On top of that you'll only have benefit of that if the ISPs in that country are connected to transit carrier "X".
    Start with looking at network maps and looking glasses to give you an overall idea about the network of transit carrier "X".

There is unfortunately not such at thing like "one" good transit. You'll always have to combine a few to have decent routes to any ISP.
    Quality wise I have good experience with NTT and Telia. TATA has quite good routes to the Asia region.
    GTT has a great network as well, but their customer support is just horrible.
    Level3 is O.K. to but they know their prices, especially with lower volumes.

• rds100rds100 Member

10 or 5 years ago i would say Level3. But even they started degrading. Nowadays i would prefer a good tier2 with a good and open peering policy instead of a tIer1. The whole tier thing is flawed anyway.

Thanked by 1rm_
  • LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

@rds100 said:
    10 or 5 years ago i would say Level3. But even they started degrading. Nowadays i would prefer a good tier2 with a good and open peering policy instead of a tIer1. The whole tier thing is flawed anyway.

Level3 has gone a bit downwards since they acquired Global Crossing somewhere 2011/2012. But overall their network is stil O.K., they're just quite expensive when you compare them to other carriers.

• matteobmatteob Barred

Not forget that on jun 2014 Level3 brought Tw telecom. So now level3 is l3 + GlobalCrossing + twt

• Need background info on what you're doing and where you're doing it otherwise it's endless name dropping