Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking again -- shoot me!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking again -- shoot me!

MichaelDiggsMichaelDiggs Member
edited May 2016 in Requests

Well, I did tell myself I would never try out any services through here but what do I have to lose by just looking at the offers. I've finally found my managed VPS service and I'm very happy with them. The last two unmanaged providers weren't too good. I was given blacklisted IP addresses right from the start and couldn't even send one email out using the SMTP server. Basically their entire network was blacklisted, oversold to the point where speeds dropped considerably and nothing could get done.

I'm looking for a Linux KVM solution that will enables me to rebuild the VPS with different templates. Since this would be a dev box I want it unmanaged. I really don't want to deal with DDOS attacks on a daily basis just because your IP pool is dirty. If you have the slightest hint you can't keep your IP's clean and off blacklist's then please be up front with me. I'd cancel without hesitation.

I'd love a fast VPS, but unfortunately never used one before. 1Gbps port doesn't mean much since I'll only get 2-3MB/sec out of it since the oversold nodes are all shared running through that one port. I do wish my managed VPS had cheaper unmanaged VPS's but they do not and this project is all coming out of my own pocket, so I have to be frugal. Probably would need to STAY AWAY from Colo Crossing too. That's a breeding ground for hackers DDOS attackers just waiting to brute force my password all day. And a good place where marketers try to send out so much marketing/sales email it blacklist's the service. Don't need it, don't want it.

If you have a solid network with preferably 1Gbps port, 2GB ram, 100GB space, user can change the template and reinstall the OS back fresh again, maybe SSD's and an SMTP server that can actually send some email that would be great. I don't know if LowEndBox is the right place for me, since all the services I ever had on here went down the drain, but I'm trying at least one more time.

I also don't want to be offered a 1Gbps port and then can only download something at 2MB/sec max. I understand you need to sell, sell, sell, sell, but I'm not afraid to cancel, cancel or cancel either. Just want to play it straight up and tell me what you have and what options and we can talk.
Thanks

Comments

• timnboystimnboys Member
    edited May 2016

I can offer you delimiter space or other space on my other nodes though I have to ask all sales queries must be done through my blesta on a sales ticket for auditing purposes.
    Actually I don't oversell and don't want to since I use my own service as well and want it to be fast for me and other customers as well lol(I actually have very fast gigabit port speed on delimiter I could give you a speedtest of a windows vm I am running on it for myself but I don't want to expose the ip's out in public for security reasons.
    Please open a ticket at https://cubedata.net/client/plugin/support_manager/client_tickets/add/1/

• edited May 2016

@MichaelDiggs said:
    I'd cancel without hesitation.
    I'm not afraid to cancel, cancel or cancel either.

If I was a provider, I wouldn't touch you with a 10 foot pole.

• No offense, @MichaelDiggs but you are approaching this wrong, what you need to do if the speed is important to you is review what networks that peer well with your ISP so that you have a route with low latency and high throughput. This is why when posting offers they post looking glass and other information so you can test.

Now, this is not to say if you pick the bottom of the barrel cheapest options that you are not going to be put on an oversold node, the reality of the situation sounds like your budget is not enough to obtain a service with the service level agreement/expectations you are wanting. If it is too good to be true, then it is. If you are seriously expecting 1Gbps port, 2GB ram, 100GB space within the $7 budget here and not be on an oversold node, then you have lost your marbles. Especially with these large storage deals on 1Gbps shared. The more space you have, the more liable you are to use it, the more bandwidth you will likely use, the busier the node and the slower the average throughput. People doing it properly even with 10Gbp or maybe bonded gigabit still run into abuse on occasion I am sure.

Back on point, you need to do some research to find what peer best with your provider, find a place that has a test that constantly has low ping and high throughput (hopefully your max) from their network test. Now this still isn't a guarantee, but this will help with your speeds a lot. Next, up your budget,if you expect dedicated gigabit that you can max all the time, you should be looking to spend appropriately and possibly look at some larger providers who have been doing this longer and have a smaller oversell ratio (Ramnode, Prometeus, GetKVM, Leaseweb, etc). Prometeus has a good storage line in NL if I recall, this may fit your needs for example, but may be outside the budget of $7.

Lastly, you should always be willing to work with your host/provider and you should always open a ticket and work with them and attempt to fix issues you may have before canceling service, especially if you have any intentions of asking for your money back. Not doing so is considered rude and in some cases disrespectful, how can you fix what you don't know it is broken? Not all providers are known for having 1-2 hour responses to support in the unmanaged sector either, remember to set your expectations correctly when you do ticket using an unmanaged product.

my 2 cents

Cheers!

• WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Normally the network port is shared with the rest VMs on the node and you don't get a dedicated network port per VPS (if you don't know that info, than you need to get definitely managed service), if the network is very important to you than get a dedicated server.

• I've tried to work with my last two providers for about 30 days before I gave up. Gave them root access and said have at it. I must of went through 15 different IP addresses on one of them because that was their only solution. If your entire IP Pool is blacklisted, which is basically found out I really had no choice to not renew with them. I never mentioned I dropped their service right away either. I gave both providers over 30 days to get things taken care of and they just couldn't do it. One provider was ChicagoVPS. Was very happy to get rid of them. I think I gave them 2 months of tickets. I happened to have WHM on that one and they would never renew it for me, but I would pay for it. Drove me nuts. Then there was INIZ. I called them the Blacklisted hole. Every IP address I was given, even on the very first day I would stick it in the blacklist search page and it would come up on most of the pages. Forget about sending any mail with that provider. I did hear Ramnode is really good. I'll need to investigate a little further.

• MichaelDiggsMichaelDiggs Member
    edited May 2016

Oh, GlobalRegisters who had to leave a comment for no apparent reason took it right out of context like most people do to make that user sound bad. Here's the whole statement. So I guess you'd stay with a VPS that has DDOS attacks all the time and all their IP's are blacklisted? Is that correct?

I really don't want to deal with DDOS attacks on a daily basis just because your IP pool is dirty. If you have the slightest hint you can't keep your IP's clean and off blacklist's then please be up front with me. I'd cancel without hesitation.

• VereloxVerelox Member

We can happily do this for you in Netherlands at 1Gbps with clean IPs, but on a rotational HDD, not SSD. Here's the output of downloading CacheFly's 100mb test file:

[root@localhost ~]# wget cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    --2016-05-02 06:21:55--  http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net... 205.234.175.175
    Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net|205.234.175.175|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: “100mb.test”

100%[============================================================================================================>] 104,857,600  100M/s   in 1.0s

We'll be happy to give you a free trial first so that you can evaluate the service. You may feel free to drop me a message if interested and I'll be happy to set you up.

• MichaelDiggs said: Basically their entire network was blacklisted, oversold to the point where speeds dropped considerably and nothing could get done.

Don't chose the ones that are like that.

Some people would find that obvious, but apparently you don't. There are many ways to know which ones to chose. One particularly obvious one is to look at the price, another is by checking their reputation.

• Have you taken a look at the top provider poll?

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul
  • Why would you even try ChicagoVPS? It's like saying ColoCrossing has perfect, clean IP space.

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

RamNode.