Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storage VPS required
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Storage VPS required

hawchawc Moderator, LIR
edited April 2016 in Requests

Hi all. Looking for a storage VPS for nightly backups from my Proxmox machine at OVH GRA.

1) I want around 500GB of space or so (I was going to use OVHs backup but its too slow)

2) It needs to be quick too and from OVH GRA.

3) No OVH, Online or Delimiter (after their little flipout earlier)

4) Ideally gigabit (inbound mostly)

5) Not that keen on Time4VPS due to their restrictions on IO and speed

I look forward to seeing your suggestions. I want to spend as little as possible, but have the ability to scale up storage as and when I need too.

Comments

• cociucociu Member

traffic/mo ?

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

cociu said: traffic/mo ?

>

Around 5 or so TB (once again, with the ability to scale as needed)

• bersybersy Member
    edited April 2016

Prometeus storage pool looks quite flexible.

HostHatch 2TB BW after that 10 Mbps or $3/TB, Backupsy's additional BW is way more expensive.

You probably have already used Fiberoute.

Thanked by 1harisp

@bersy said:
    Prometeus storage pool looks quite flexible.

You probably have already used Fiberoute.

Yes I have, wouldn't mind something with Fiberoute again.

• bersybersy Member
    edited April 2016

hawc said: Yes I have, wouldn't mind something with Fiberoute again.

We are summoning @infinity then…

@harisp and @AshleyUk might have some spare space on their DE storage nodes too.

Thanked by 1harisp
  • LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

Assuming an OpenVZ based would work for you, I (LiteServer) might be to help you out with a plan from our storage line.

If a VPS is not really a required, you can always look around for a backup provider that provides you remote storage over rsync/sftp/anyotherprotocol. But with ~500GB of data, that's probably price wise not interesting enough.

Really, I am just looking for a 500GB or so NFS target that I can feed into Proxmox and say "dump backup here".

• @time4vps has roughly 300mbps usable inbound from every one of my European vps+dedi looking glasses.

If your backup utility can be tuned to match a 300-400iops write pattern , you'd have a very cost-effective solution.

Thanked by 1time4vps
  • FalzoFalzo Member

if OVZ is good enough I'd recommend waiting until mid may when @AshleyUk probably will chime in with a new offer on LET and some stock of his storage special.

otherwise may have a look directly at hetzners storage boxes from https://www.hetzner.de/ot/hosting/storagebox/bx20 - only 2 TB though, but as far as i remember you are able to scale directly from their control panel and it supports nfs OOB

I somewhere posted transfer rates between OVH and such a storage box, probably search for bx20 or something like that here at LET if interested ;-)

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

hawc said: 5) Not that keen on Time4VPS due to their restrictions on IO and speed

Hello, if you dump single file backup, then you will not likely hit IOPS limit (400). Try us, we have 30 days money back guarantee.

• @time4vps said:

hawc said: 5) Not that keen on Time4VPS due to their restrictions on IO and speed

Hello, if you dump single file backup, then you will not likely hit IOPS limit (400). Try us, we have 30 days money back guarantee.

Wasnt your iops limit on storage boxes 75~100...or I am mistaken..

• time4vpstime4vps Member, Host Rep

noaman said: Wasnt your iops limit on storage boxes 75~100...or I am mistaken..

It was long time ago, yes. Now it's solid 400.

• @time4vps said:

noaman said: Wasnt your iops limit on storage boxes 75~100...or I am mistaken..

It was long time ago, yes. Now it's solid 400.

:-)
    Well I will soon buy one...as this was the thing holding me back...

Tip:

Next time you create the new post for offers...do write that you have updated it...as there will be many like me who don't know this :-)

Cheers

Thanked by 1time4vps
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran

Internal OVH port speed will be much better than outside provider.

@WebProject said:
    Internal OVH port speed will be much better than outside provider.

Not on their backup servers, I also want something not inside OVH incase.