Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Software TO eat 100% CPU - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Software TO eat 100% CPU

2»

Comments

• If you want to check how much cpu you can eat, you should also benchmark it somehow. You might eat 100% cpu but if you get throttled, you wont see it without benchmarking it.

• MadMad Member
    edited April 2016

I'm too hungry, let me eat some CPUs.

It's better if you contact directly the provider, most of them tend to suspend the service due to CPU abuse based on a fixed percentage.

• edited April 2016

@teamacc said:
    If you want to check how much cpu you can eat, you should also benchmark it somehow. You might eat 100% cpu but if you get throttled, you wont see it without benchmarking it.

That's a great point.

Make sure they don't throttle the CPU after some time has elapsed instead of the hard cut.

• How long before we get a "host deleted my production server hosting my million dollar cat picture business because of high CPU" thread?

• elgselgs Member

What's wrong with for(;;);

Thanked by 1windytime90
  • @elgs said:

We are talking Windows not 'nix.

• elgselgs Member

@globalRegisters said:

@elgs said:

We are talking Windows not 'nix.

int main(){for(;;);}

I believe this should compile on Windows.

• windytime90windytime90 Member
    edited April 2016

@elgs said:

I prefer
    while(true);
    for infinite loop. It makes code easier to read (my point).

Thanked by 1elgs
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

windytime90 said: Actually, no. I will not act like this. I have just purchased the ssd-vps from ovh but I don't know if I use up to 100% cpu, will I get banned. So I am looking for a way to test. Lol

what?

What the **** is wrong with people these days....

Thanked by 2windytime90 Radi
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    what?

did you notice people actually trying to help him do that.

• AnthonySmith said: what?

Hi, what is your point? I prefer practical, so what's wrong with it?

Sorry, next time you are near my part of the world, please feel free to come and shit on my doorstep and then bang on my door demanding some toilet paper.

• windytime90windytime90 Member
    edited May 2016

@AnthonySmith said:
    Sorry, next time you are near my part of the world, please feel free to come and shit on my doorstep and then bang on my door demanding some toilet paper.

I see that you are only the impolite person here. How old are you?

• Adobe Flash

Thanked by 1windytime90

35, pretty sure I'm not.

• @windytime90 said:

AnthonySmith said: what?

Hi, what is your point? I prefer practical, so what's wrong with it?

You're using a VPS, resources like CPU and network aren't dedicated to just you, but shared between a pool of users. If you wanna use 100% of resources you're better off getting a dedicated server for cheap from Kimsufi or SoYouStart (OVH subbrand).

Imagine, if every VPS has "one core", if you assume it's dedicated, then 200+ people on one hypervisor would require... 200+ cores! Isn't that crazy? Therefore such resources like CPU are shared, as not everyone will need full resources at any point of time.

@theroyalstudent I was kind of hoping that did not need to be explained, haha.

not to mention the peoples time you are wasting that then need to deal with you and the issues you may cause, but who cares right? as long as you get what you want.

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    @theroyalstudent I was kind of hoping that did not need to be explained, haha.

Was hoping for someone to have explained it earlier on in this thread, but everyone seems to be encouraging doing cont. benches on the VPS or running crap to burn up the CPU. ZZZ. OP doesn't know that too, it seems.

not to mention the peoples time you are wasting that then need to deal with you and the issues you may cause, but who cares right? as long as you get what you want.

+1, this is why we can't have nice product listings. One day VPS companies will have to put in "1 shared and NOT dedicated core" instead of "1 vCore"...

• theroyalstudent said: You're using a VPS, resources like CPU and network aren't dedicated to just you, but shared between a pool of users. If you wanna use 100% of resources you're better off getting a dedicated server for cheap from Kimsufi or SoYouStart (OVH subbrand).

Imagine, if every VPS has "one core", if you assume it's dedicated, then 200+ people on one hypervisor would require... 200+ cores! Isn't that crazy? Therefore such resources like CPU are shared, as not everyone will need full resources at any point of time.

Thank you for your point. I know all that things. I think you misunderstood my point a little bit.

1. I know that resources are shared, and in some specific viewpoints, providers are overselling. The overselling ratio is different among providers but it's actually overselling. People now are overselling things and speak offensive words to customers when they ask?

2. There are two ways to deal with users who use too much resource (in your terms): 1- Ban them. 2 - Cap them. I think you are choosing the option 1.

3. I have sent ticket to OVH asking about how much resource I can use, will I be capped when I use over xx% of CPU, blah, blah. But they replied "You can use as much as you want, as long as your usage doesn't affect other users.". This is very unclear answer and I have to test by myself. If I got banned or capped, it's OK. No complaint, just know the answer. I am testing for a bigger thing.

@AnthonySmith: You are older than me and you are "provider" but I don't know why people at that age can speak like that. Thank you for teaching me.

edited May 2016

Yep, I am human as well though :)

I see what your getting at, I just don't agree with the way of 'testing' it, you already know you don't need a dedicated core or you would not be using a VPS to begin with.

I happen to agree with the 'as long as it does not affect others' way of dealing with it, for example I use 60% over 24 hours avg, but if its not a busy node using 400% for 24 hours may not impact other users so I probably wont do anything about it.

So the limit is an in principal limit, that's actually very flexible for users, if you want a pre determined amount of CPU time set within rigid terms then just get a dedi, they are cheap as chips these days anyway.

My initial understanding was that you want to just abuse things to see when they react, as a host that annoys me, now I see its more because you cant get a clear answer, I still don't agree with it but I would instead say if you really 'need' that answer, you should not be using a VPS to begin with.

I put my inner 15 year old to bed and answered it seriously this time.

• emgemg Veteran

@windytime90 has already stated that he/she opened a ticket with OVH, asking how much resource could be used. Although it isn't explicitly stated, I assume that @windytime90 also asked how OVH would react if resources were abused. I have two comments:

• I am not a provider, but if I were OVH, then the instant that @windytime90 abuses the VPS, I would immediately "ban" @windytime90's account and cancel the VPS without refund. This is because there would be no question that the abuse was deliberate (since a ticket was opened to ask the question) and the abuse was initiated with a full understanding that it would have an impact on other innocent OVH customers whose VPSs are on the same node. Those customers never signed up for, nor approved, @windytime90's abuse "testing." They wish only to use their VPSs in way that consumes their fair share of the common resources, without unfair or adverse impact to the other VPS users on that node.

• I do not blame OVH for equivocating on how much resource consumption constitutes abuse. VPS nodes are complex systems. There are countless ways to abuse them while remaining under specific usage limits, especially if the specification covers only CPU usage. I have a lot of benchmarking experience in my past, and have seen many tests where unexpectedly low performance was measured due to unusual, unanticipated dependencies that appeared in complex systems.

Thanked by 1windytime90