Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup.eu first impressions for Root Server M SSD iv6
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup.eu first impressions for Root Server M SSD iv6

nfnnfn Veteran

Hi,

These are the first impressions regarding Netcup. I signup with them a few days ago and as a non German costumer, the first payment was made by bank transfer ... this is a good measure that allow them to avoid some nasty costumers.

I have to say that they reply to emails very fast within they working hours and they are very friendly. Never needed support other than some minor questions.

The control panel is complete, but need a full English translation.

We are able to use the usual linux/windows images, you can install from Netinstall images provided by them or upload your own isos, qcow2 or raw images.

These are the usual benchmarks for "Root Server M SSD iv6" little monster :)

# php bench.php

--------------------------------------
|        PHP BENCHMARK SCRIPT        |
Start : 2016-04-26 14:42:59
Server : @
PHP version : 7.0.5
Platform : Linux
test_math                 : 0.274 sec.
test_stringmanipulation   : 0.378 sec.
test_loops                : 0.288 sec.
test_ifelse               : 0.153 sec.
Total time:               : 1.093 sec.

# python speedtest_cli.py
{...}
Testing download speed........................................
Download: 752.36 Mbit/s
Testing upload speed..................................................
Upload: 166.83 Mbit/s

# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
Benchmark started on Tue Apr 26 15:34:55 CEST 2016
Full benchmark log: /root/bench.log

System Info
-----------
Processor       : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2670 v3 @ 2.30GHz
CPU Cores       : 2
Frequency       : 2297.338 MHz
Memory          : 5988 MB
Swap            : 1457 MB
Uptime          : 1:36,

OS              : Debian GNU/Linux 7
Arch            : x86_64 (64 Bit)
Kernel          : 3.2.0-4-amd64
Hostname        : 

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
---------------------
Your public IPv4 is x.x.x.x

Location                Provider        Speed
CDN                     Cachefly        87.2MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US         Coloat          17.7MB/s
Dallas, TX, US          Softlayer       15.4MB/s
Seattle, WA, US         Softlayer       12.8MB/s
San Jose, CA, US        Softlayer       11.5MB/s
Washington, DC, US      Softlayer       21.6MB/s

Tokyo, Japan            Linode          7.54MB/s
Singapore               Softlayer       10.2MB/s

Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net         73.6MB/s
Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb        56.3MB/s

Disk Speed
----------
I/O (1st run)   : 495 MB/s
I/O (2nd run)   : 901 MB/s
I/O (3rd run)   : 912 MB/s
Average I/O     : 769.333 MB/s

Geekbench 3: http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/6248198

I have to say that I'm very happy with the performance and the price is phenomenal for the specs we get!

Thanked by 1Wicked

Comments

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2016

Seeing how this is not a dedicated server, but just an 11 EUR VPS, I'm not sure if you chose the right website to astroturf your shit post this "interesting and insightful review".

• Nice root server bro

Thanked by 1nfn
  • nfnnfn Veteran

@rm_ said:
    Seeing how this is not a dedicated server, but just an 11 EUR VPS, I'm not sure if you chose the right website to astroturf your shit post this "interesting and insightful review".

Do you have any useful comment to make or just this stupid paragraph?

Thanked by 1JerryReeves
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2016

nfn said: Do you have any useful comment to make

If you are really so dumb that you need this explained, 11 EUR is way more than the $7 price ceiling for LET, so your "review" is nothing more than an attempt to circumvent the rules by advertising for a product (complete with an ordering link) which otherwise would not have the right to be posted here. Considering that your review is basically just a piece of useless all-positive b/s, it's hard to not suspect some sort of connection with the provider or some monetary incentive that you might have for posting this.

• nfnnfn Veteran

@rm_ said:

bla bla...

Man, you are so dumb and blind it hurts :)

So now we " customers " can not leave a comment because children get upset ? If you have any questions just flag me to the moderation and I'll be happy to prove that I have nothing to do with Netcup!

Move on ...

• bersybersy Member
    edited April 2016

rm_ said: 11 EUR is way more than the $7 price ceiling for LET, so your "review" is nothing more than an attempt to circumvent the rules

That rule applies to providers in Offer section only as far as I can see.

• ZweiTigerZweiTiger Member
    edited April 2016

@rm_ said:

If you are really so dumb that you need this explained, 11 EUR is way more than the $7 price ceiling for LET, so your "review" is nothing more than an attempt to circumvent the rules by advertising for a product (complete with an ordering link) which otherwise would not have the right to be posted here. Considering that your review is basically just a piece of useless all-positive b/s, it's hard to not suspect some sort of connection with the provider or some monetary incentive that you might have for posting this.

Not really agree with you. @nfn showed us a a benchmark , first impressions.

Not really know whats your problem?

And i think this thread is useful but your comments are totally useless.

Here is my thread:

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/72927/netcup-eu-root-server-ssd-reviews-monster-deal

And i think it was useful for somebody. Maybe he saw my thread and ordered a server and now he is happy.

--

I am a happy netcup customer too.

Thanked by 3nfn Ympker Inglar
  • nfnnfn Veteran
    edited April 2016

ZweiTiger said: Maybe he saw my thread and ordered a server and now he is happy.

Yes... it was a great help to make my decision.

• Very happy with netcup and that since about 6 months :)

• FalzoFalzo Member

I can reliably confirm that @nfn isn't here for advertising. look at his thread before, where he has been searching for an alternative to ovh vps.

from this we discussed some options via PM (hetzner esp.) and than he decided to try netcup first. mods are welcome to look at our conversation if there are any concerns...

so after all he is just telling what his well choosen title is saying.

besides that I can add, that tempted by our conversation I also ordered one of their root-servers (posted a benchmark to that thread of @ZweiTiger already) and can confirm that the support was very helpful indeed.

nested virtualization wasn't available even on request, so I wouldn't keep it and guess what, netcup even offered me to cancel the service free of charge (before paying the invoice) as part of a 30-day satisfaction guarantee!
    can't exactly tell if and how they handle such things for non-german people though.

after this would definitely recommend them ;-)

Thanked by 2bersy nfn
  • Are that dedicated cores? Because I want to host minecraft on it

• ShadeShade Member

Netcup is really good! Never had a single problem with them. Network and Server Uptime 100% for months...

• FalzoFalzo Member

@emtecro said:
    Are that dedicated cores? Because I want to host minecraft on it

their page is telling dedicated from root-server M, at least the newer one @nfn has got and not the older models which are on clearance sale. benchmarks looks very promising too.

besides that most bigger businesses in germany don't really have rules on cpu usage as this probably would be shady at least in terms of german laws. and if they do they would probably make it clear by adverstising something like fair usage or simply limiting it technically anyways...

just read through the german AGB (ToS) and found this:

Betreiben von Serverdiensten , die eine besonders starke Rechnerlast verursachen; dies gilt nicht bei dedizierten und virtuellen Servern

which states that you are not allowed to run services which cause high load but this does explicitly not apply to dedicated and virtual servers.

so go ahead and max it out as you like.

• nfnnfn Veteran

Thanks @Falzo

• To be honest i actually enjoy these posts, don't really care about this whole $7 LET rule. Do you think everybody on this forum only need $7 boxes?

Will put in a order to test, but do they offer other payment options then PayPal and bank transfer? Would prefer paying with my credit card directly.

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • @nfn
    Thanks for this review -- looks better than my "Root-Server Happy 2016" that costs the same. What is the Difference actually with SSD iv6 ?

• @mehargags said:
    @nfn
    Thanks for this review -- looks better than my "Root-Server Happy 2016" that costs the same. What is the Difference actually with SSD iv6 ?

Happy 2016 only got virtual cores not dedicated

Thanked by 1mehargags
  • WickedWicked Member
    edited April 2016

I actually ended up with php-friends.de's vServer M SSD (2 CPU-Kerne, 4 GB RAM, 80 GB SSD-Speicher, 100 MBit/s-Anbindung) - 10,99 EUR

They had 4,9/5 out of 80-90 reviews on a german site. Support was also faster then Netcup and they don't seem to be so strict. Also big plus; 100-200 gbit ddos protection.

Cons:

• Everything is in german

• Only 2 TB traffic included(i think)

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but does anyone have some experience with these guys? :P

• @Wicked said:
    I actually ended up with php-friends.de's vServer M SSD (2 CPU-Kerne, 4 GB RAM, 80 GB SSD-Speicher, 100 MBit/s-Anbindung) - 10,99 EUR

They had 4,9/5 out of 80-90 reviews on a german site. Support was also faster then Netcup and they don't seem to be so strict. Also big plus; 100-200 gbit ddos protection.

Cons:

Sorry for hijacking the thread, but does anyone have some experience with these guys? :P

phpfriends are awesome, too :)

Thanked by 2Wicked mehargags
  • @Wicked said:

Cons:

Not better , just different.

Netcup own a datacenter is there any english site for php-friends?

• @ZweiTiger said:

Not better , just different.

No don't think so, but support speaks very good english. And Google Translate did the job when ordering, was no problem.

PHP-Friends use https://www.first-colo.com/

• FalzoFalzo Member
    edited April 2016

@ZweiTiger said:

@Wicked said:

their site says:

Sollte es sehr oft zu einer Überschreitung von 2 TB im Monat kommen, setzen wir uns mit Ihnen in Verbindung. Es erfolgt keine Abrechnung des Traffics oder eine Drosselung Ihrer Anbindung ohne Sie kontaktiert zu haben.

which means if you are often using more than 2 TB per month they will contact you about it. yet they do not charge overage or limit connection without contact.

sorry, no first hand experience yet. that 100Mbps on their smaller servers isn't that much tempting at all ;-)

no english page I am aware of, but if you have further question I can try to find you an answer ;-)

regarding DC I can tell from their page that php-friends seem to colo their own hardware with First Colo aka and accelerated IT in Frankfurt...

@Wicked maybe you can post a geekbench? would be very interesting indeed and could you post the outcome of something like

grep flags /proc/cpuinfo |uniq

• @Falzo said:

@Wicked maybe you can post a geekbench? would be very interesting indeed and could you post the outcome of something like

grep flags /proc/cpuinfo |uniq

Will do a benchmark once I get the server, they told me "yes of course" when I asked if I would get the server before the weekend if I sent them a screenshot of the bank transfer.

But don't think thats gonna happen.. So I will have to wait.

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • @Falzo said:
    regarding DC I can tell from their page that php-friends seem to colo their own hardware with First Colo aka accelerated IT in Frankfurt...

First-colo and accelerated are two differnet companys/dc's. PHP-Friends normal hdd vservers are still at accelerated, the new sdd servers at first-colo. first-colo has by far the best ddso protection in germany if you compare em with voxility, link11 or webtropia

• FalzoFalzo Member

@Butters said:

>

First-colo and accelerated are two differnet companys/dc's. PHP-Friends normal hdd vservers are still at accelerated, the new sdd servers at first-colo. first-colo has by far the best ddso protection in germany if you compare em with voxility, link11 or webtropia

yes you are right. I probably lost track and mixed it up just from my memory like those plusserver/hosteurope or myloc/webtropia/servdiscount holdings...

sorry for that and thanks for clarifying!

• They use SolusVM and it's mostly in English.

@Falzo

System Info

Processor : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz

CPU Cores : 2

Frequency : 2400.000 MHz

Memory : 3953 MB

Swap : 0 MB

Uptime : 21 min,

Arch : x86_64 (64 Bit)

Kernel : 3.13.0-74-generic

Hostname :

Speedtest (IPv4 only)

Your public IPv4 is

Location Provider Speed

CDN Cachefly 11,4MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US Coloat 2,13MB/s

Dallas, TX, US Softlayer 8,35MB/s

Seattle, WA, US Softlayer 7,36MB/s

San Jose, CA, US Softlayer 7,84MB/s

Washington, DC, US Softlayer 6,59MB/s

Tokyo, Japan Linode 5,70MB/s

Singapore Softlayer 7,46MB/s

Rotterdam, Netherlands id3.net 11,3MB/s

Haarlem, Netherlands Leaseweb 11,4MB/s

Disk Speed

I/O (1st run) : 2 GB/s

I/O (2nd run) : 622 MB/s

I/O (3rd run) : 1 GB/s

Average I/O : 208.333 MB/s

Speedtest.net

Testing from First Colo GmbH ()...

Selecting best server based on latency...

Hosted by Vodafone DE (Frankfurt) [100.73 km]: 2.295 ms

Testing download speed........................................

Download: 95.39 Mbit/s

Testing upload speed..................................................

Upload: 236.38 Mbit/s`

Thanked by 1Falzo
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@Wicked said:

thanks, network speeds look reasonable for 100 MBps ;-)

can you tell us which cpu flags are available on the guest (see my post above grep from /proc/cpuinfo)?