Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Incremental Changes between two or more servers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Incremental Changes between two or more servers

CasterCaster Member

Scenario :
Have 3+ server when i make changes in server 1 and within a time frame or so the other server has the same changes made / new files.

I looked at RSYNC but couldnt get much info about how should i do.
If anyone can shed some light on this, it will be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Comments

• telephonetelephone Member
    edited April 2016

Caster said: when i make changes in server 1

In this scenario are you using one master and pushing changes to slaves? If yes, then harness your inner Google-fu and look into more examples of rsync.

• MunMun Member

Unison. Bit torrent sync. Syncthing.

• +1 for Syncthing.

Thanked by 1Caster
  • It's not clear if it's just files you want copied, or commands run as well. If the latter, look into configuration management tools. If you can't figure out how to use those tools (or rsync itself) hire someone who can either teach it to you or do it all for you.

• dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited April 2016

syncthing, lsyncd are 2 such things that will automatically sync/push changes.

There are many others depending on how you want it to sync and if you want it to be automatic or manually initiated

Thanked by 1Caster
  • thanks everyone syncthing is what I was really looking for.

• drendren Member
    edited April 2016

rsync can sync any files with deltas, e.g.

rsync -avz -e ssh [directory] [email protected]:[directory]

Thanked by 1Caster
  • I have a project I've been working on that requires 10 servers in different datacenters to be in sync. I'm using csync and it's pretty great.

Thanked by 1Caster
  • @OnraHost_Zack said:
    I have a project I've been working on that requires 10 servers in different datacenters to be in sync. I'm using csync and it's pretty great.

Thanks Zack for mentioning csync. I have used it in past and its great tool for doing file sync between 3 servers and more. But i am looking for database sync too and csync corrupts db on the test I done. Any idea with that ?

And how you sync 10 at once ?

• @Caster said:

@OnraHost_Zack said:
    I have a project I've been working on that requires 10 servers in different datacenters to be in sync. I'm using csync and it's pretty great.

Thanks Zack for mentioning csync. I have used it in past and its great tool for doing file sync between 3 servers and more. But i am looking for database sync too and csync corrupts db on the test I done. Any idea with that ?

And how you sync 10 at once ?

The best thing I can think of is a Galera cluster, however I've never used Galera across more than one DC.