Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need Help on Picking a Dedi
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need Help on Picking a Dedi

gruBgruB Member
edited April 2016 in Help

Greetings,

Long time lurker, so fresh meat to tear apart :)

I'm currently trying to figure out the best solution for a dedi as I'm in the market. I'll try to be as detailed as possible so if you need more info please let me know.

I'm working on a couple personal sites which use Wordpress (no off the wall plugins), xenforo as a forums, and been playing with nodebb. For obvious reasons, I cannot use shared hosting (nodebb), and I really would like my own dedicated resources (no noisy neighbors)

So I'm looking for a dedi that can handle a couple Wordpress sites and the above software. Granted these sites haven't seen the light of day, so traffic will be low but want to make sure I have something that down the road will handle 100+ users online concurrently if I'm lucky.

-No need for management (this has been covered)
-control panel not necessary as I'm trying to keep all resources avail.
-US location central to east coast
-SSD drives prefer 2 for raid option
- 1Gbit port
- Budget no more than 75/mo (lower better but be able to handle heavy traffic at times.

I've also thought maybe splitting resources on a couple VPSs MySQL/mail/and website but again, from my understand VPS is kinda still shared but with less crowd? I've seen certain restrictions no load xxx mins/hours so I'm not real keen on running the risk if I get spike in traffic.

I've looked around other websites and when it comes to ram or chipset So I have no idea if I'm picking something overly powerful or not enough.

Hopefully I can be guided in right direction with a few recommendations.

Comments

• You tried to reliablesite? their servers are excellent and there prices from $ 69.00

Thanked by 1gruB
  • gruBgruB Member

@jason25 said:
    You tried to reliablesite? their servers are excellent and there prices from $ 69.00

I have yes. Ive looked at wholesale and ovh/sys but again, im not really sure what type of server to grab spec wise.

• I'd be interested to know more about what resources you're looking for on the machine (CPU, RAM, etc). From the brief explanation you've provided, you may be better off cost wise putting your stuff on AWS. You can utilize their Reserved Instances option to lower your costs for EC2 and RDS.

1 x 4GB RAM, 2 x vCPU (t2.medium): $26.28
    HDD Space is charged at $0.10 per GB-month of provisioned storage for General SSD
    1 x 4GB RAM, 2 x vCPU (db.t2.medium) RDS (MySQL): $39.42

The only added cost to this is bandwidth, which is charged at $0.09 per GB after the 1st GB of transfer (which is free) for outbound traffic. Inbound is free.

• gruBgruB Member
    edited April 2016

@confluxtech said:
    I'd be interested to know more about what resources you're looking for on the machine (CPU, RAM, etc). From the brief explanation you've provided, you may be better off cost wise putting your stuff on AWS. You can utilize their Reserved Instances option to lower your costs for EC2 and RDS.

1 x 4GB RAM, 2 x vCPU (t2.medium): $26.28
    HDD Space is charged at $0.10 per GB-month of provisioned storage for General SSD
    1 x 4GB RAM, 2 x vCPU (db.t2.medium) RDS (MySQL): $39.42

The only added cost to this is bandwidth, which is charged at $0.09 per GB after the 1st GB of transfer (which is free) for outbound traffic. Inbound is free.

I guess that would be my question. Trying to figure out the best RAM and CPU.

For example if I go for e1230 32gig RAM will this allow me to run a few sites and leave room to grow? Or is this too much of an overkilll

I see all different types of specs on let's say reliablesite, OVH/SYS, WholeSaleInternet, and delimiter on their site, just not too sure which one to choose. I was trying not to get one which I'll have to upgrade a couple months down the road but allow current specs to last me a bit of wiggle room.

That's another thought I had maybe get a couple VPSs and offload a few resources.

• confluxtechconfluxtech Member
    edited April 2016

@gruB : Most dynamic websites when run on low-end dedicated or VPS type systems will bottleneck with their database. Going the AWS route, you can offload the database to Amazon RDS (MySQL) which has pretty good performance. I run ~22 different sites (all different platforms, a lot of WordPress, some custom applications, a CRM, etc) on an 8GB physical machine with a 4-core processor and I offload the database to RDS - I get great performance on everything.

I'd think for what you're after, AWS may be a great option for you, while being able to keep costs under control. You can start with a small EC2 instance and re-size or move to a bigger one later as needed. That's the beauty of AWS.

Thanked by 1gruB
  • Well, dont think you need a dedicated server for that. But still, for future growth and prevent the hassle of upgrading, going the Dedicated way is a good option.

For your usage (keeping enough room for growth), an E3 higher than 1230 v2 with 16/32 GB of memory and a couple of SSD in RAID 1 (120/250 GB depending on your space requirements) should be enough for quite some time.

Thanked by 1gruB
  • gruBgruB Member

@Junkless said:
    Well, dont think you need a dedicated server for that. But still, for future growth and prevent the hassle of upgrading, going the Dedicated way is a good option.

I know I'm probably over killing it now :) just looking to keep my stuff under 1 roof and all resources mine so I don't mind spending a little bit more.

I do appreciate all the help!

• Check your inbox I have sent you an offer within your budget :)

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

@jason25 said:
    You tried to reliablesite? their servers are excellent and there prices from $ 69.00

We actually have some very aggressive specials right now for $39/mo.

http://www.reliablesite.net/dedicated-servers/detail.aspx?server=intel-xeon-e3-1230v3&promo=Xeon50&amount=50

• I don't know any US located company with so cheap prices, but you can always choose a good KVM VPS for guaranteed resources. You can always choose vultr or digitalocean.

Anyway, if you want a dedicated server in Europe, you can check webtropia.com or servdiscount.com , there have very cheap dedicated servers. Their support is slow, but their services are very good and you don't need any support.