Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone used Contabo?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone used Contabo?

Hello,

I have never seen anyone talk about Contabo on LET, their VPS's are very cheap so I'm wondering if there is any negative sides to it?

Back in 2013, just after they renamed their company I had their biggest dedicated server but left because DDoS turned in to a big issue and people were able to take down their whole datacenter with attacks. I have also heard they nullroute customers for 2 days.

So can anyone tell me something about them? are they overselling or is their offers legit?

Thanks.

Comments

• @Wicked said: Anyone used Contabo?

@TarZZ92 was/is a user AFAIK!

Thanked by 1Wicked
  • trvztrvz Member

… so I'm wondering if there is any negative sides to it?

Yes.

• dreadiscooldreadiscool Member
    edited April 2016

I'm given to understand that a lot of the Hackforums DDoS-for-hire services (booters) use them to send out attacks. They're silently becoming the next Ecatel

Thanked by 1Wicked
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@Wicked said:
    have never seen anyone talk about Contabo on LET

how about using the search bar in the upper right corner?

https://www.lowendtalk.com/search?Search=contabo

Thanked by 1bersy
  • @trvz said:

… so I'm wondering if there is any negative sides to it?

Yes.

Wow, thanks.

@Falzo said:

@Wicked said:
    have never seen anyone talk about Contabo on LET

how about using the search bar in the upper right corner?

https://www.lowendtalk.com/search?Search=contabo

I was referring to the time while I've been a member.

• I have their smallest VPS plan (the VPS M) since some time (at leas a year) and I'm happy about it, though I'm not hosting anything remotely mission critical.

I had some downtime a while ago, but it was due to a faulty node. Contabo moved the VPS to a different node and everything was fine since then.

@dreadiscool I'm a little concerned about your message, can you point me to any evidence about booters going to Contabo? Thanks

Thanked by 1Wicked
  • FalzoFalzo Member

@Wicked said:

which should be one year now regarding to your profile, right?
    the name contabo has been around here definitely more then once or twice in this time...

so just a lame excuse. don't try to justify your sloth! :-P

• @Falzo said:

@Wicked said:

which should be one year now regarding to your profile, right?
    the name contabo has been around here definitely more then once or twice in this time...

so just a lame excuse. don't try to justify your sloth! :-P

Don't you have anything better to do? Just sad to see how you're all Sherlock Holmes over this.

You do realize a company can change, that's why I'm looking for input from people who might be a customer now.

And I see you did your homework, member for a year now but looking over my posts you can see my account became active this month.

• @quicksilver03 said:
    I have their smallest VPS plan (the VPS M) since some time (at leas a year) and I'm happy about it, though I'm not hosting anything remotely mission critical.

I had some downtime a while ago, but it was due to a faulty node. Contabo moved the VPS to a different node and everything was fine since then.

@dreadiscool I'm a little concerned about your message, can you point me to any evidence about booters going to Contabo? Thanks

Thanks for the input :)

• still have 1 vps with em (the original E3 based one) and still going strong.

here is a benchmark http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/3064101

• @TarZZ92 said:
    still have 1 vps with em (the original E3 based one) and still going strong.

here is a benchmark http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/3064101

Thanks appreciate it :)

Still interested in the whole DDoS situation, might just email them :P

• Run as fast as possible . They are heavily oversold.

• Stay away !

• If you see on Hackforums, threads often pop up about Contabo being used to launch DDoS attacks. I don't go on their often other than to keep an eye on what the kids are doing, but Contabo pops up here and there. It's pretty much leaked information that some of the largest DDoS-for-hire services on HF (e.g. vDoS) use Contabo as their attack servers

• dreadiscooldreadiscool Member
    edited April 2016

Page 2 of the "Botnets, IRC Bots, and Zombies"
    http://hackforums.net/showthread.php?tid=5248918

For those of you that understandably don't have a Hackforums account

@Wicked @quicksilver03

• FalzoFalzo Member

@Wicked said:
    Don't you have anything better to do? Just sad to see how you're all Sherlock Holmes over this.

come on, you could seriously have done some research for yourself esp. as you first stated to NEVER have seen anything around here.

I am always interested in fresh reviews about providers for sure, so that simply wasn't my point.

and contabo can't be that bad if they are preferred for running DDOS bots and such, as a hacker you wouldn't want any downtime while attacking, right? ;-)

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited April 2016

Their performance is fairly good.

Cons:
    1) Only written cancellation (letter)

2) You dont have a 100mbits flat. If u use 60mbits on avg they restrict you to 10 mbits.

3) No ddos tolerance. Meaning if you get ddosed you will sooner or later have a problem with them. Not only that they dont offer ddos protection but also that your service will be pending for suspension.

• elgselgs Member
    edited April 2016

I had two servers with them without heavy use. Their support is pretty impressive, fast, nice and helpful. I don't see any problem with their servers.

• inthecloudblog said: Run as fast as possible . They are heavily oversold.

Nonsense. my benchmarks prove otherwise, now i ask you it, want oversold goto CAC

• Ympker said: Only written cancellation (letter)

Wrong, you cancel in the control panel, it's extremely easy

Ympker said: You dont have a 100mbits flat. If u use 60mbits on avg they restrict you to 10 mbits.

if you use it constantly for 5 days only that happens.

Ympker said: No ddos tolerance

why should they tolerate that?