Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Max VNC resolution
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Max VNC resolution

nsnadellnsnadell Member
edited February 2013 in Help

I have a KVM LEB (512 RAM) running Ubuntu 12.10. I added lxde for periodic VNC use mainly just to surf the web.
I realize adding a GUI to a server makes it less secure.

When I connect to the VNC (using X11VNC as the server), the max resolution I can choose is 1024x768. I did a bunch of googling and there is a lot out there about using xrandr to add a new resolution. But, when I do a "xrandr -q", it states the max resolution is 1024x768. I assume this means I can't add resolutions greater than that, even with xrandr. Is that correct?

If so, is this a limitation of my VPS provider? KVM? Would an OpenVZ container work better?

Am I way off?

Comments

• I don't see how adding a GUI by itself will make your server less secure, but anyways;

• No, I seriously doubt it's your VPS provider or the fact that it's KVM.

Last time I used VNC on ubuntu (a long time ago), I installed 'vnc4server' and just ran 'vncserver -geometry 1920x1200', and it will start & run at 1200p.

• Start the server with the "-geometry 1024x768" (or other resolution) flag

• WintereiseWintereise Member
    edited February 2013

I realize adding a GUI to a server makes it less secure.

Not exactly. If you're going to use VNC, please do the world a favor and employ a SSH tunnel to do it. VNC is a plaintext protocol, which means your password is transmitted un-encryopted.

Look into NX / NXRDP otherwise for some basic security. All management interfaces should be firewalled to you as well.

• By default no VGA is enabled on KVM guests, it's a flag when you start a KVM processor or config file

• Yeah I'm trying to figure that one out to set in SolusVM so he boots back up with a better emulated video.

• Did you try

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Card0"
    Driver "vesa" < Change it to that from Cirrus if that's what was there previously

• @SimpleNode - Using vncserver with the geometry flag worked. I was trying to use x11vnc since you can easily setup a vnc server associated with a https address.

@murky - Using the geometry flag with vncserver worked, as stated above, but using it with x11vnc just stretched the 1024x768 screen. It doesn't actually use a better resolution.

@Wintereise - I was looking into guacamole, although it didn't want to connect to the vnc. I'll explore other server side options, because running any application outside of Chrome isn't allowed. The Chrome Secure Shell extension has a bug on Windows that messes up port forwarding, at least local and dynamic. I've had a ticket in for months, but it probably isn't their top priority.

@FRCorey - I appreciate all of the help through the support tickets. Setting the driver to vesa actually caused the lxde processes to not start. There wasn't a driver line in there previously. I guess I could try Cirrus and see if x11vnc likes that, but otherwise I'll have to stick with vncserver.
    Also, I wasn't trying to imply it was your fault, but the xrandr -q output max of 1024x768 kept throwing me off....

Now I just have to figure out if I can run the vncserver java through a very specific port using https.

Thanks everyone for the help.

• @nsnadell Why not use noVNC for a web interface? http://kanaka.github.com/noVNC/

• @murky Apparently I don't have the skills to get that to work either. Tried it using x11vnc and vncserver with the built in noVNC web server or just running on a subdomain through Apache. I get a connection time out. Debugging doesn't really show me anything useful.