Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to anti abuses behind NAT?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to anti abuses behind NAT?

WorldWorld Veteran

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to know something about how to anti abuses behind NAT?

For example:A customer bought a NAT VPS and did some abuses,how can the VPS provider find him?

Comments

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited April 2016

Basically NAT gives the Outbound Packet/Connection a Port which links to the internal LAN IP, you could easy track things back if someone fucks up.

• World said: I'd like to know something about how to anti abuses behind NAT?

What kind of abuse you got?

Neoon said: you could easy track things back if someone fucks up.

So NAT VPS/VPN not a safe way as advertising? :)

• @fitvpn said:
    So NAT VPS/VPN not a safe way as advertising? :)

It is a safe way of advertising.

No one said that you must be doing illegal things on the VPN. You wouldn't get into trouble for legitimate usages.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2016

you just add another v

simple.

• theroyalstudent said: No one said that you must be doing illegal things on the VPN

Same question. Who sort out and consider legal or illegal things you do on your VPS/VPN?

Its VPN,since its encrypted there any traffic control?

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

Same as a regular VPS.

• These cheap $2,5 Yearly NAT VPS/VPN instantly designed for some kind of abusers who don't want to be tracked. So you anyway get it.

edited April 2016

@fitvpn said:
    These cheap $2,5 Yearly NAT VPS/VPN instantly designed for some kind of abusers who don't want to be tracked. So you anyway get it.

• @Neoon said:

@fitvpn said:
    These cheap $2,5 Yearly NAT VPS/VPN instantly designed for some kind of abusers who don't want to be tracked. So you anyway get it.

Facepalm. Is @fitvpn some kid at the other side of the screen trolling, or is this thought 100% legit from him lmao

• @fitvpn said:

What kind of abusers? Please justify.

My usage of these NAT VPSes is for running and testing self-hosted things, like haste-server. (a list of nice stuff you can host on these small VPSes here)

These VPSes are useful if you're using it to create a mesh network for servers with Tinc, as it can have a dynamic routing table (in switch mode) and the most optimal routes would be used.

The 20-port (+1 for SSH) limit is fine, but the inability to use port 443 for HTTPS (or even port 80) is frustrating, but you get what you pay for. Just waiting patiently for this to be implemented one day.

Anyway, I got all these locations for < $4 USD/mth, and I'm pretty happy about it:

https://marv.pw (just a page for myself cause I can't remember my server hostnames)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2016

Neoon said: NAT gives the Outbound Packet/Connection a Port which links to the internal LAN IP

Point is, most (or all) of these NAT VPS hosts most likely do not log these connections, and if you ask the host which internal IP has connected to some outside IP 3...5...7 days ago at some specific time of day, they simply won't be able to tell.

@rm_ said:

Neoon said: NAT gives the Outbound Packet/Connection a Port which links to the internal LAN IP

Point is, most (or all) of these NAT VPS hosts most likely do not log these connections, and if you ask the host which internal IP has connected to some outside IP 3...5...7 days ago at some specific time of day, they simply won't be able to tell.

Well, theoretically its trackable, i thought that most Providers do it to prevent Abuse.

But they will for sure, if more people abuse it.

• theroyalstudent said: Facepalm. Is @fitvpn some kid at the other side of the screen trolling, or is this thought 100% legit from him lmao

Yea, what next? Spanking a bit? :D

• For stuff like outbound DoS or SSH brute forcing nodewatch will send alerts and log the conntrack table, but for stuff like DMCA's for torrent downloads it's a bit harder to catch who did what unless you just look who was running a torrent client at the time and narrow it down.

For inbound connections you can just look at who owns what port.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I have 14 day logging on all services that are strictly forbidden,not much detail, Just enough to be sure.

So I can track an abuse report to a person in seconds, I get significantly less abuse as a whole on the NAT servers to be honest, probably because it requires a few more brain cells and effort to setup initially.

• b6688b6688 Member

Hi @theroyalstudent @fitvpn @AnthonySmith,

With regarding this comment:

The 20-port (+1 for SSH) limit is fine, but the inability to use port 443 for HTTPS (or even port 80) is frustrating, but you get what you pay for. Just waiting patiently for this to be implemented one day.

Sorry for asking the stupid question. Just want to know how the NAT VPS work if I setup the LEMP Server into the box.

How do I access my website?

http://www.mywebsite.com

Or instead of direct Port 80, I need to access custom port 6789 like

http://www.mywebsite.com:6789

Thanks You for your comments. At the moment, I only have IPv4 and IPv6 box. Never try the NAT VPS before.

• @b6688 said:

Sorry for asking the stupid question. Just want to know how the NAT VPS work if I setup the LEMP Server into the box.

Thanks You for your comments. At the moment, I only have IPv4 and IPv6 box. Never try the NAT VPS before.

At InceptionHosting, you have this:

Add domain and you will be able to access.

At DeepNet Solutions, there's a script to set it up (but it's gone for now it seems).

LEMP should work great on it, as long as it isn't as memory intensive as WordPress.

• b6688b6688 Member

@theroyalstudent

Thanks you for your information. Yes, your sin1.marv.pw work fine but test.marv.pw fail to load the page.

InceptionHosting have a great interface to configure the domain name. Great. I will give it a try when I have spark time.

Maybe you can show me your benchmark for your NAT VPS and the location. Thanks a lot. I will be use it for PHP script.

• @b6688 said:
    @theroyalstudent

Thanks you for your information. Yes, your sin1.marv.pw work fine but test.marv.pw fail to load the page.

test.marv.pw was a test for something. Removed the DNS record at Cloudflare a few hours ago but haven't done so on the VPS Admin. Not an issue with the NAT VPS so yeah :)

InceptionHosting have a great interface to configure the domain name. Great. I will give it a try when I have spark time.

>

Maybe you can show me your benchmark for your NAT VPS and the location. Thanks a lot. I will be use it for PHP script.

I wouldn't recommend running large PHP frameworks on it, small scripts should be fine, though!

My node is a KVM in Singapore, Singapore and I got it from LittleHappyCloud (sub-brand of InceptionHosting for KVM NAT VPSes). Stock is no longer available, see the recent KVM NAT VPS thread for more details.

// to be updated with bench when done.

Thanked by 1b6688
  • gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

@theroyalstudent said:

@b6688 said:

At InceptionHosting, you have this:

Add domain and you will be able to access.

At DeepNet Solutions, there's a script to set it up (but it's gone for now it seems).

LEMP should work great on it, as long as it isn't as memory intensive as WordPress.

The script is disabled for maintenance. If you need a reverse entry, simply submit a ticket to our support team.

Regards, David

Thanked by 1b6688
  • b6688b6688 Member

Thanks @theroyalstudent @davidgestiondbi,

I understand how it work now and will give it a try.

Please continue with your discussions with anti abuses behind NAT.

• @b6688

Sorry for the delay.

System Info
    -----------
    Processor   : Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU           E5620  @ 2.40GHz
    CPU Cores   : 1
    Frequency   : 2400.082 MHz
    Memory      : 112 MB
    Swap        : 127 MB
    Uptime      : 15 days, 23:09,

OS      : Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS
    Arch        : x86_64 (64 Bit)
    Kernel      : 3.13.0-24-generic
    Hostname    : sin2.marv.pw

Speedtest (IPv4 only)
    ---------------------
    Your public IPv4 is PREMIUM

Location        Provider    Speed
    CDN         Cachefly    4.44MB/s

Atlanta, GA, US     Coloat      1.43MB/s 
    Dallas, TX, US      Softlayer   1.17MB/s 
    Seattle, WA, US     Softlayer   1.72MB/s 
    San Jose, CA, US    Softlayer   1.79MB/s 
    Washington, DC, US  Softlayer   694KB/s 

Tokyo, Japan        Linode      367KB/s 
    Singapore       Softlayer   65.9MB/s 

Rotterdam, Netherlands  id3.net     1.18MB/s
    Haarlem, Netherlands    Leaseweb    1.39MB/s 

Disk Speed
    ----------
    I/O (1st run)   : 251 MB/s
    I/O (2nd run)   : 345 MB/s
    I/O (3rd run)   : 289 MB/s
    Average I/O : 295 MB/s

• b6688b6688 Member

Thanks @theroyalstudent

Look great for the disk speed.

• @b6688 said:
    Thanks @theroyalstudent

Look great for the disk speed.

Yes, but note that you're usually sharing the same disk with hundreds of people, so if you use too much IO for a sustained amount of time you will get your machine suspended & you will have to usually explain why your usage is so high.

If you're going with InceptionHosting, Anthony is pretty lenient about it as long as you do your best to resolve any issues on your side. Of course don't take it for granted tho :P

As for DeepNet, almost the same. They're relatively nice people.

(speaks for why I have quite a few nodes with LES hosts)

DeepNet:

InceptionHosting (just asked for two nodes to be merged into one!):