Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Install Windows on any Wholesaleinternet preconfigured server using QEMU-KVM - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Install Windows on any Wholesaleinternet preconfigured server using QEMU-KVM

13»

Comments

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

rmbell said: I've followed this process and Windows 10 installed fine, however I think I'm missing the proper network driver as I couldn't RDP in after reboot. The box is a Online XC 2016, which is their custom hardware. Seems to be an Intel NIC, but does anyone know the correct driver to use for the XC 2016 with Windows 10? Thanks so much!

Could you find out what the NIC is? Boot into rescue mode if needs be.

• rmbellrmbell Member

$ lspci | egrep -i --color 'network|ethernet'

00:14.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I354 2.5 GbE Backplane (rev 03)

• edanedan Member

@rmbell said:
    I've followed this process and Windows 10 installed fine, however I think I'm missing the proper network driver as I couldn't RDP in after reboot. The box is a Online XC 2016, which is their custom hardware. Seems to be an Intel NIC, but does anyone know the correct driver to use for the XC 2016 with Windows 10? Thanks so much!

Online.net using DHCP so we can leave the network as is.

rmbell said: 00:14.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection I354 2.5 GbE Backplane (rev 03)

The driver link perhaps https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/59679/Intel-Ethernet-Controller-I350-Series

• rmbellrmbell Member

After trying a few drivers from that page, it looks like the winner was: Intel® Network Adapter Driver for Windows® 10.

So for anyone else trying this with Online's new hardware line, just grab those drivers, extract them, then use task scheduler to run the "BDsetup.exe /s /nr" command.

Thanks again for this great guide edan!

Thanked by 2edan ikkizenho
  • @rmbell said:
    After trying a few drivers from that page, it looks like the winner was: Intel® Network Adapter Driver for Windows® 10.

So for anyone else trying this with Online's new hardware line, just grab those drivers, extract them, then use task scheduler to run the "BDsetup.exe /s /nr" command.

Happy to hear that you've managed to get it working.

Could you please detail how to extract and create the scheduled task? I'm having some issues on these steps.

Thanks!

• rmbellrmbell Member
    edited July 2016

@ikkizenho said:

@rmbell said:

Happy to hear that you've managed to get it working.

Could you please detail how to extract and create the scheduled task? I'm having some issues on these steps.

Thanks!

I used 7zip to extract the PROWinx64.exe file, and then the setup is located @ "PROWinx64\APPS\SETUP\SETUPBD\Winx64\". As for scheduling the task, there are plenty of guides for that https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748993

Thanked by 1ikkizenho
  • ikkizenhoikkizenho Member
    edited July 2016

@rmbell said:
    I used 7zip to extract the PROWinx64.exe file, and then the setup is located @ "PROWinx64\APPS\SETUP\SETUPBD\Winx64\". As for scheduling the task, there are plenty of guides for that https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748993

Yeah, that's what I've tried. I created the task and rebooted into normal mode to allow it to boot bare-metal and install the driver, but the network never started to work.

Booted back to rescue+kvm and could see the task ran several times, but the server never started answering to pings. Firewall was already turned off, both for domain, private and public, and I tried stopping the windows firewall service too. No results.

If you can take a look at my task schedule settings to see if I missed something it would be really helpful. They are available at: http://imgur.com/a/QHcBo

Another thing: I extracted the files to the user Downloads dir (C:\Users\username\Downloads). That could cause any issue on file permission?

Also, I used the "Intel® Network Adapter Driver for Windows® 10" version 21.0 (Latest), from 5/20/2016. Is that the same that you used?

Thanks!

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

Would a video tutorial help?

Thanked by 1ikkizenho
  • @hawc said:
    Would a video tutorial help?

If possible, it would be perfect :D I'm not familiar with the Task Scheduler so probably I did something wrong when setting up the task

• I have the Kimsufi ks4c with the 82579v adapter. I have installed Windows 2012r2 MSDN edition to the hard disk using the technique described in this tutorial and can now happily boot up and reboot when using QEMU, and connect using RDP once it has booted.

I believe that I need to add the networking driver using the method described in the posts on page 2 of this thread, so a video tutorial would be helpful to me too.

As would any other pointers :-)

• hawkjohn7hawkjohn7 Member
    edited July 2016

for simple install just using command line with inf driver on windows

pnputil.exe -a *.inf

• @hawkjohn7 said:
    for simple install just using command line with inf driver on windows

pnputil.exe -a *.inf
    > 

This didnt seem to work for me.

• edanedan Member
    edited July 2016

ikkizenho said: If you can take a look at my task schedule settings to see if I missed something it would be really helpful. They are available at: http://imgur.com/a/QHcBo

When creating the task there are a few options like "Run whether user is logged on" or "Run whether user is logged on or not". You need to tick "run with highest privileges".

Perhaps the task scheduler fail to run the setup? why it failed?

If you set the password than Windows will ask you to entering the password at startup and the task scheduler seems won't run because the user not logon yet so you can disable the password and make it auto login. Yes we set to autologon but if we connect using RDC we still need to entering our password so it safe.

Make sure to execute the setup not just once, under settings, tick "If the task fails, restart every:"

• @edan said:

ikkizenho said: If you can take a look at my task schedule settings to see if I missed something it would be really helpful. They are available at: http://imgur.com/a/QHcBo

When creating the task there are a few options like "Run whether user is logged on" or "Run whether user is logged on or not". You need to tick "run with highest privileges".

Perhaps the task scheduler fail to run the setup? why it failed?

If you set the password than Windows will ask you to entering the password at startup and the task scheduler seems won't run because the user not logon yet so you can disable the password and make it auto login. Yes we set to autologon but if we connect using RDC we still need to entering our password so it safe.

Make sure to execute the setup not just once, under settings, tick "If the task fails, restart every:"

Tried all of this, again. The task run correctly on bare-metal, as I can see on time of execution log after I restart back to qemu-kvm, but driver never appears to get installed.

Do you know where else I could look? There is any place where I could see a log of SetupBD run?

• edanedan Member

ikkizenho said: Tried all of this, again. The task run correctly on bare-metal, as I can see on time of execution log after I restart back to qemu-kvm, but driver never appears to get installed.

Do you know where else I could look? There is any place where I could see a log of SetupBD run?

If you know the .INF file you can use (stated at first post).

pnputil.exe -a c\yourdriver.inf
  • guyz92guyz92 Member
    edited March 2017

Thanks!

It works well for installation for Microsoft Windows Server 2016 on Dell Optiplex 755 with Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 with 4GB RAM hosted by WSI.

Created a script to set "Enternet 2" to static IP with 1 minute Interval. Once the Network Driver is installed correctly, the Task Scheduler will try to set the static IP again.

All I have to do is to wait for ping response from the server.

1. First use "parted" to create 2 partition.
    2. Mount sda2 and upload the installer.
    3. Run the installer via portable QEMU-KVM.
    4. Complete the Windows Server 2016 Installation.
    5. Create a bat file for setting the IP address to "Ethernet 2"
    6. Add to Task Scheduler with 1 minute repeat internal.
    7. Disable Firewall.
    8. Enable Remote Desktop Protocol.
    9. Shutdown the "QEMU-KVM".
    10. Reboot the machine physically.
    11. On Client PC, run a ping monitor to detect machine is connected to the Network.
    12. Remote Desktop to the Server and disable the Task Scheduler created at Item 6.

Optional : Expend your Hard Drive with Disk Manager.

• What if the server doesn't support virtualization? I bought one and the CPU is C2D E7300. Can I still install windows?

• guyz92guyz92 Member

@emilevìrus said:
    What if the server doesn't support virtualization? I bought one and the CPU is C2D E7300. Can I still install windows?

It is possible by changing the qemu command to run with software acceleration.

remove "-enable-kvm" and replace "-cpu host" with "-cpu qemu64"

This method allows me to install Windows on KVM VPS without the hosting company permission.

• Need help to install Windows 10 x64 on a server with Intel Core i7 4790 with 16GB Ram and 2x1TB HDD. This server is from a different provider.

The only rescue option available is SystemRescueCD x64. I followed the guide posted here. When I execute /tmp/kvm, I get following output

root@sysresccd /root % /tmp/kvm-ok
    INFO: /dev/kvm does not exist
    HINT:   sudo modprobe kvm_intel
    INFO: Your CPU supports KVM extensions
    KVM acceleration can be used

So I used following command to boot without kvm

/tmp/qemu-system-x86_64 -net nic -net user,hostfwd=tcp::3389-:3389 -m 4096M -localtime -cpu qemu64,+nx -M pc -smp 2 -vga std -usbdevice tablet -k en-us -cdrom /mnt/windows.iso -hda /dev/sda -boot once=d -vnc :1

Now the problem is, in VNC Viewer I can only see the initial Windows logo and thereafter no progress at all. Can anybody figure out where I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

• @AlanDS said:
    Now the problem is, in VNC Viewer I can only see the initial Windows logo and thereafter no progress at all. Can anybody figure out where I am doing wrong?

Nothing. Without the kvm module loaded, it's slower than molasses. Give it several hours.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • Hmmm... anyways I was able to install Windows 10 using myhken's template. All is well now.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@AlanDS sudo modprobe kvm_intel

• @netomx said:

I tried that command and it thrown some error.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@AlanDS said:

@netomx said:

I tried that command and it thrown some error.

what error?

• I can not get my system to work on the network that is my problem vnc viewer will work just I can not connect after creating a script

@AlanDS said:
    Hmmm... anyways I was able to install Windows 10 using myhken's template. All is well now.

• biohanbiohan Member
    edited December 2017

Hello. I want install Windows 2016
    Where get a drivers for:
    How install drivers?

Ethernet controller: Mellanox Technologies MT27500 Family [ConnectX-3] Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit Network Connection

• Thank you for this information, i am trying to do this but don't able to succeed i will try what you share and hope as per comments i will be able to that

• AtotAtot Member

i tried to install however always error and can't boot to OS

• GuyPGuyP Member
    edited August 2019

vps:/tmp# wget -qO- /tmp http://notfor.pro/content/files/vkvm.tar.gz | tar xvz -C /tmp
    gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
    tar: Child returned status 1
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    vps:/tmp#