Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does KVM cost more than OpenVZ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why does KVM cost more than OpenVZ?

onedosfanonedosfan Member
edited April 2016 in General

I'm new to the LowEnd world so please forgive my ignorance.

In general, why does KVM cost more than OpenVZ? Many times, it's double or triple the cost of OpenVZ servers with similar advertised specifications.

Comments

• I'm no expert on this, but I believe it is because KVM is dedicated to each user, while OpenVZ can be oversold, and all the users share the resources.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

OVZ has way less overhead since it's just a glorified jail and overselling is easy.

KVM can be over provisioned too, but it's more a matter of overhead since you need to fully virtualize the environment for each server.

Simply said, you can put more customers/load per server with OpenVZ than KVM.

You should also consider that for many reasons, OpenVZ shouldn't be considered production ready for many tasks, but this is a different matter.

Thanked by 1sugeng
  • @onedosfan said: why does KVM cost more than OpenVZ?

Why Dedicated Server cost more than VPS?

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • BradBrad Member

@budi1413 said:

@onedosfan said: why does KVM cost more than OpenVZ?

Why Dedicated Server cost more than VPS?

Now you're just comparing apples to oranges.

• 2 major reasons.

1. KVM comes with higher overhead, which means it will use up more resource under exact same condition.

2. With KVM you have dedicated memory space, while in OpenVZ you share the memory. So it's possible that same software / libraries in different OpenVZ containers can share the same memory page, and thus save a lot on memory consumption. With KVM it's much harder to share memory pages, and thus waste more resource.

Oversold is not that important as you can always over commit your memory allocation in Linux (there is a kernel parameter that controls how to over allocate memory), no matter it's OpenVZ or KVM, or even on VMware ESXi.

Thanked by 1MrPsycho
  • Which type of VPS has higher disk and network IO overhead?

OVZ seems staying at Kernel 2.6 too long, not sure if docker is the next big things in container hosting.

• @david_W said:
    docker is the next big things in container hosting.

With docker the goal is to automate deployment not to isolate you from your neighbors. Granted OVH tried to do it, but the beauty of Docker is having your containers work together not trying to secure them from interfering with each other or the host.

• @elwebmaster said:
    With docker the goal is to automate deployment not to isolate you from your neighbors.

That's why I am not sure at this point yet. If docker will adopt more isolation, it may going to take over OVZ one day.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited April 2016

OVZ works fine for the most stuff you run, but as @Nyr said, its just a "Jail".

Some programs like Syncthing were able to crash the OVZ Node/ result in Kernel Panic.

As far as i know, the issue is now patched but that could happen with any other program also.
    While Syncthing was running fine on KVM and Dedicated Servers.

• onedosfan said: Why does KVM cost more than OpenVZ?

Why taxi cost more than city bus?

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

With KVM, the provider is basically pricing it based on your "maximum" usage while with OVZ, the provider is pricing it based on your "average" usage. Unless you really need KVM for a specific reason, just go with OVZ from a provider that you know won't oversell to the point of there being problems. That way you're billed for average usage, but you can technically still use all your disk and RAM without the provider saying anything about it - because you'll just be part of the average.