Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Strange ping/DNS problem
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Strange ping/DNS problem

MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
edited February 2013 in Help

I'm having a ping/DNS resolution issue with a new VPS that I can't wrap my head around. When I ping any invalid domain . . . it somehow resolves to the IP below. The hosts file is clean.

Anyone have any ideas?

ping fhieemfdafqqr.com
PING phx2-ss-5-lb.cnet.com (216.239.120.187) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from phx2-ss-5-lb.cnet.com (216.239.120.187): icmp_seq=1 ttl=243 time=83.2 ms

cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4

dig fhieemfdafqqr.com
;; QUESTION SECTION:
;fhieemfdafqqr.com. IN A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
com. 872 IN SOA a.gtld-servers.net. nstld.verisign-grs.com. 1361336869 1800 900 604800 86400

;; Query time: 2 msec
;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
;; WHEN: Wed Feb 20 08:08:44 2013
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 108

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2013

Sounds like when I get a 404 at home I just get a bunch of ads (because the $130/m isn't enough for my cable company). Maybe it's rerouting that dns on the host node for a little extra cash? What's a traceroute look like?

• Private tunnel time to your own resolvers. Fixes any messing around.

• You're missing some output from dig, namely the header. Can you provide that?

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited February 2013

add a search domain to /etc/resolv.conf

Example:

search d3vm.net
    nameserver 10.10.10.101
    nameserver 4.2.2.1
    nameserver 4.2.2.2
    nameserver 4.2.2.3
    nameserver 4.2.2.4

It's likley your search domain is set to "com" so when you ping a random non existant .com domain it's going to *.com.com.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited February 2013

@jarland @jbxl

That was my thought, but this is a reputable provider, and I have another VPS with them at the DC that is not doing this.

Traceroute is as expected.

Interesting, I just wget'd fuyfdgadu.com and got this:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">

Metasearch Search Engine - Search.com

<...>

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Well if you visit the IP that's what you see

• @dmmcintyre3 said:

add a search domain to /etc/resolv.conf

Spot on, many thanks!!

• @dmmcintyre3 said: It's likley your search domain is set to "com" so when you ping a random non existant .com domain it's going to *.com.com.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too now.

• @Microlinux said: That was my thought, but this is a reputable provider, and I have another VPS with them at the DC that is not doing this.

I misunderstood. I thought this was an issue with your home ISP hijacking DNS.