Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone using cloud.net?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone using cloud.net?

They have lots of locations starting as low as $4/month but they dont look very active. Any experience with them? I dont want to buy 10 servers and in 6 months have to find new ones because they are closing.
I know they are part of OnApp but I dont know how serious they are about their side-projects.

https://www.cloud.net/

Comments

• jimaekjimaek Member
    edited April 2016

Most locations dont even have the Centos7 template. They are stuck at 6

• Cloud.net is a division of ONAPP and use the OnAPP federation. WIth onapp federation you can activate new region selling space from other members.

Idea is good, but at the moment i think the project is too unripe for main reasons:

• Limited features
    • Providers join/leave federation with only 30 days notice
    • Template are different between region, most of the providers share only old templates.
    • When you get an issue you need to contact onapp that will contact remote provider to a fix, this can cause delays in fixing.
    Thanked by 2Dylan bersy
  • ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2016

jimaek said: Most locations dont even have the Centos7 template. They are stack at 6

Hi!

We supply London region. If there is anything missing for you in London give me a shout, I'll do my very best to coordinate with Cloud.net to solve your problem.

Idea is good, but at the moment i think the project is too unripe for main reasons:

That would be because you have your own marketplace ;-)? NB also reliant on OnApp Federation ? Not nice to comment negatively on your competitors @matteob. It's biased regardless and you should made the OP aware that this is the case.

• It's been a while since I used them. I had some $5 UK (softlayer) servers for about a year. The network was great at first, then slowly degraded over time. The server performance itself was pretty good. The panel was very lacking for features we have come to expect from providers these days, with little to no progress being made.

It could have been great, but it seems they didn't have enough dedication/manpower put towards progressing things. Some of this may have changed, as it's been over 6 months since I cancelled the servers.

• @Clouvider said:
    That would be because you have your own marketplace ;-)? NB also reliant on OnApp Federation ? Not nice to comment negatively on your competitors @matteob. It's biased regardless and you should made the OP aware that this is the case.

No is not my competitor, but my supplier. For our marketplace we used onapp federation and we're partially leaving them for that reasons.

For example:
    -Template are different between region, most of the providers share only old templates.
    On some region we not had debian 8 or Centos 7 and there is no way to request it

• Most of the time vm creation failed due to lack of resource. Only way is refund customer or moving to another location

• We received 30 days cancellation notice for one region with active customer on it

• 2 of our region ceased without prior notice

As you can see there is no way to do a good and stable business.

edited April 2016

No @matteob thats not right. OnApp federation is your supplier, but Cloud.net is your competitor. We don't discuss federation here but Cloud.net

https://www.domflow.it/market.php Is clearly competing with Cloud.net. That's why I said that your opinion is biased and you failed to disclose it while negatively commenting on the mentioned competitor.

Federation is a tool. It's your choice who you choose as suppliers, you should vet them and make your decisions. Federation is not making them for you. It just enables you. You tend to change suppliers frequently as well. In same manner as suppliers can leave, buyers can too, and we have some common experience here as far as I know.

You can also have a private zones subscribed And individual agreements and individual SLAs signed with the supplier tailor made to your requirements. There are many options available and you can secure yourself if you feel the need to.

Hope it clears a few things.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

For once, I will side with @matteob on this. OnApp federation (and any kind of federation TBH) is not production ready, at least by default. If you need to sign individual contracts with each supplier, federation isn't useful anymore.

It's OnApp which should likely demand more with the contracts, but this was probably relaxed to get more suppliers/locations on board.

Anyway it's nearly always better to go direct, specially with "accessible" locations (Europe, US, parts of Asia, etc...). I don't understand why would anyone go with federation for those, even if the setup was really great.

Thanked by 2bersy matteob
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2016

I tried the Italy location a while back it was absolute trash, running a very old version of Xen 3.x which was probably very exploitable.

I was able to get WAY more info from the host node than I should have been able to get and they had memory ballooning enabled and it was clearly over provisioned as my Ram changed with every reboot.

I cancelled it within 48 hours.

That was one of the very cheap locations though, I imagine the SL locations are significantly better.