Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Dedibox MD and LT !
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New Dedibox MD and LT !

SpacedustSpacedust Member
edited April 2016 in General

Finally something new:

Dedibox LT 2016     Xeon E3 1245v5  32 GB DDR4 ECC  3 x 250 GB SSD  1Gbps   39.99 €

https://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-lt

Dedibox MD 2016     Xeon E3 1245v5  64 GB DDR4 ECC  3 x 500 GB SSD  1Gbps 54.99 €

https://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-md

Setup 60 €

They've got probably Samsung PM871 256 GB and 512 GB SSD drives.

Comments

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited April 2016

Who wants 3 SSDs? I would understand 2 or 4, but 3?
    The only option then is RAID-5 or RAID-1 with one spare or a RAID-0, which makes not much sense for me (or better: my usage pattern). Well, who cares...

Thanked by 1rds100
  • rds100rds100 Member
    edited April 2016

I understand why people want to have 2 SSDs in their server. I also understand why people want to have 4 SSDs. But 3? Why?

edit: @Amitz was first :)

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • AmitzAmitz Member

I mean, really... Let's forget their flaky network for a second - the price itself (even with the setup fee) is okay for the hardware. But that 3 drive decision must have been another of Arnaud's brainfarts that he sometimes has at night.

Thanked by 2Kris vimalware
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

My guess is because 4 would be too expensive, and 2 is too few. :)

• RAID5 is perfectly fine with SSD's, but not with HDD's.

• You can also use RAID0 ;)

• At least this hardware is SuperMicro and is able to install CentOS 6.7 ;)

• dedicadosdedicados Member
    edited April 2016
  • 60 EUR setup fee? Money for nothing and the chicks for free?

• ehabehab Member

@Spacedust said:
    They've got probably Samsung PM871 256 GB and 512 GB SSD drives.

can you confirm this?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Well, they have still network issues, now even the Google Uplink is usually about 90-95% Load, they should fix these issues first.

NL is daily at 100% usage for some hours and your ping spikes from 10ms to 70ms.

Lets wait until you ping google and get 70ms.

Thanked by 1boernd
  • akhfaakhfa Member

What do you choose, dedibox LT or Dual Xeon 5639 ($50) in wholesaleinternet and what is the reason? The usage is for web hosting that dual E5420 cannot handle mysql load.

• it's SATA3?

• @akhfa said:
    What do you choose, dedibox LT or Dual Xeon 5639 ($50) in wholesaleinternet and what is the reason? The usage is for web hosting that dual E5420 cannot handle mysql load.

Besides the location, MySQL prefer higher single thread performance

Thanked by 1akhfa
  • @akhfa said:

Why not go for some more reliable provider then WSI or Online.net if the intended use to host client's sites ?

Thanked by 1akhfa
  • fxffxf Member

The checkout process is nearly misleading. Opting out of the Business Class LSA (an extra 35€/mo) marks your "RPN" network speed to 100Mbps. Apparently that speed is just for the second network card, the other has the 1Gbps connection.

Would nab this but christ, I'm too flaky for the 60€ setup fee to be worth it.

• akhfaakhfa Member

@Junkless said:

@akhfa said:

Why not go for some more reliable provider then WSI or Online.net if the intended use to host client's sites ?

Because I think that 'aceptable' reliability with some backup is enough, for example migrate to another server if the site down about 1 hour with daily backup :)

Do you have any recommendation if you say that online.net is not reliable enough?

• @hawkjohn7 said:
    it's SATA3?

It must be - it's SuperMicro and drives are SATA3 capable ;)

• I see they've raised Setup Fee from 40 Euro to 60 Euro even on Dedibox Classic.

• @Amitz said:
    Who wants 3 SSDs? I would understand 2 or 4, but 3?
    The only option then is RAID-5 or RAID-1 with one spare or a RAID-0, which makes not much sense for me (or better: my usage pattern). Well, who cares...

OVH offers 3 drives configs on many dedicated servers also. I never liked that idea :/

• AmitzAmitz Member

Well, for a storage server, why not. But for everything else? Really, I have no clue...

• albertdbalbertdb Member
    edited April 2016

EDIT: Sorry, brainfart idea

• AmitzAmitz Member

@albertdb said:
    EDIT: Sorry, brainfart idea

Arnaud, is that you? ;-)

Thanked by 2ManofServer rds100
  • I actually like the specs decently, but 60EUR setup? Dunno about that.

• Looks like they take a huge setup fee, buy hardware with this money than provide buyer a rent with own purchased hardware. I like this business! :)

• Nice new offers, I might get one in the future when the network becomes usable.

• emilvemilv Member

Anyone here with experience with online.net and hetzner.com? Which one has better network?

• Online.net is better ;) We've got 10 ms better pings from Poland to France than to Germany !

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

While I haven't used both providers for a lot of time now, I keep hearing positive stuff for hetzner. Much more than online.net.

• AmitzAmitz Member

I prefer Hetzner in the meantime. Used them both for some years.