Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

sshd rootkit / exploit - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

sshd rootkit / exploit

Comments

• FWIW this is a customers box... all our nodes appear to be fine but i suggest everyone drop 78.47.139.110 ASAP

• MiguelQMiguelQ Member
    edited February 2013

Another one:

192  51.230956 192.168.1.148 -> 62.141.37.70 DNS Standard query A  741e5e72563efe1665bf8fa351f.192.168.1.166
    194  51.261712 192.168.1.148 -> 62.141.37.70 DNS Standard query A 6214f8fc6a5aaade605ce9e67747baa2.192.168.1.166

Always after successful ssh login

• Some interesting reading on the topic:

forums.cpanel.net/f185/sshd-rootkit-323962.html

• KrisKris Member
    edited February 2013

If you have a machine that has the file, in the meantime until the attack vector is found :

rm -rf /lib/libkeyutils.so.1.9
    rm -rf /lib64/libkeyutils.so.1.9
    yum clean all
    yum -y reinstall keyutils-libs
    touch /lib/libkeyutils.so.1.9
    touch /lib64/libkeyutils.so.1.9
    chmod 000 /lib/libkeyutils.so.1.9
    chmod 000 /lib64/libkeyutils.so.1.9
    chattr +i /lib/libkeyutils.so.1.9
    chattr +i /lib64/libkeyutils.so.1.9
    ldconfig

I'd then update the machine.

ldconfig at the end fixes any symbolic links.

Posted originally by me yesterday on cPanel and Reddit, will keep it from re-infecting for the time being.

• @Kris said: Posted originally by me yesterday on cPanel and Reddit, will keep it from re-infecting for the time being.

This is a Debian infection we are seeing here :S

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

I can't see this affecting any VPS provider's hostnode's. Only shared hosting servers based on cPanel.

• @MiguelQ said: This is a Debian infection we are seeing here :S

I was referencing the bulk of machines / CentOS & RHEL, such for people like brad.

@BradND said: The server is compromised, /lib64/libkeyutils.so.1.9 found

I don't work with Debian machines. This is CentOS / RHEL temporary immunization. Can take the same theory and apply it to your debian machine where-ever the files reside.

It's automated, it won't always change file name. Until they start making variants this is the safest thing for cPanel / RHEL / CentOS users. Not Debian.

• @Alex_LiquidHost said: I can't see this affecting any VPS provider's hostnode's. Only shared hosting servers based on cPanel.

Heard numerous mentions of VPS infected (OpenVZ / RHEL / cPanel) as well as bare-metal.

• @Alex_LiquidHost

Did you not read what i posted?

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@BradND said: Did you not read what i posted?

I've actually missed it, though.

Well, atleast none of my nodes are compromised or have this lib.

• For all Debian users on their high horses it does appear to be affecting you too:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpost.php?p=8565861&postcount=665

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2013

Are these getting in without compromised root logins? I'm a little confused as to how they're getting there.

• @jarland That's the million dollar question :)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited February 2013

If any of you aren't doing this currently, I suggest alerts for root logins.

I'm not sure if this varies for debian but for RHEL variants, /root/.bashrc

echo 'Root Shell Access (Node5) on:' date who | mail -s "Alert: Root Access from who | cut -d'(' -f2 | cut -d')' -f1" [email protected]

It doesn't show IP for key logins (suggestions welcome), but it does for passwords (because, yes, I allow root login remotely, happy to explain why in private but I get paranoid on the other side of it so it's not really a security risk). I usually keep a couple different forms of alerts for root logins at least on my nodes. Gets annoying from time to time but better than checking logs later.

Not that I'm suggesting that any of you aren't aware of root logins, just sharing.

• anyone has the correct md5hash for debian libkeyutils.so for OpenVZ & KVM & Xen ?
    mine it seems various,

I even found libkeyutils.so.1.4 on my debian KVM, very suspicious, dated 11 Feb 2013. if you only check libkeyutils.so.1.9 this one simply by passing it.

The question for Virtualization system, if the node got compromise, this should be easy to infect all the container or VM on that node, at least for OpenVZ, isn't it?

• @graca For squeeze:

root@delta:~# md5sum /lib/libkeyutils.so.1.3
    6affec20aec2654d8906573e2495f289  /lib/libkeyutils.so.1.3

libkeyutils.so.1.4 is present in wheezy, I don't have that one available but you can always download the package and extract it to compare packages.debian.org/wheezy/amd64/libkeyutils1/download

• All my vps are running on debian squeeze, but I found 2 different libkeyutils:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8528 Apr 4 2010 libkeyutils.so.1.3
    6affec20aec2654d8906573e2495f289 libkeyutils.so.1.3

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 6560 Mar 27 2010 libkeyutils.so.1.3
    868d4a3cd978a29e7cde097c99884db7 libkeyutils.so.1.3

is it normal?

and somehow I did have libkeyutils.so.1.4 in 1 vps, I'm not sure why this got installed:

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 12160 Feb 11 2012 libkeyutils.so.1.4
    35963e079c10224a65eaa310dc812260 /lib/libkeyutils.so.1.4

The only different is the OS template and some php modules depend on this libkeyutils library, could it be another new php hole?

• nstormnstorm Member
    edited February 2013

Doh... I'm running CentOS. But I've protected my servers & a workplace from all kinds of exploits & attacks from outer space!

• 10cm air gap between the server and the network cable is the best protection :)

• All my Debian systems have either libkeyutils.so.1 or libkeyutils.so.1.3 with the md5 hash 868d4a3cd978a29e7cde097c99884db7

I believe 868d4a3cd978a29e7cde097c99884db7 is the correct (clean) one.

• @graca The xen hostnode we posted above isn't running PHP nor mysql

• can someone confirm this only affecta 64bit cox im still on old skooln32 bits babeh

• @cosmicgate said: can someone confirm this only affecta 64bit cox im still on old skooln32 bits babeh

wat

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider
  • lzplzp Member
    edited February 2013

@jarland said: echo 'Root Shell Access (Node5) on:' date who | mail -s "Alert: Root Access from who | cut -d'(' -f2 | cut -d')' -f1" [email protected]

Doesn't work properly with Debian, unfortunately.

Edit: you're missing backticks.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Any updates on this?

• @rsk said: Any updates on this?

Possibly a malware infection in management machines:

webhostingtalk.com/showpost.php?p=8566599&postcount=830

• Done digging in our office and on the firewall in the office... nothing outta the ordinary

• @BradND said: Done digging in our office and on the firewall in the office... nothing outta the ordinary

Time to start worrying then? Or that was yesterday? :S