Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cheap Dedicated Server [UK ONLY]
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Cheap Dedicated Server [UK ONLY]

david_reiddavid_reid Member
edited April 2016 in Requests

Hello,

I currently have a need for a Dedicated Server based in the UK, closest to Manchester the better, on quite a flexible budget but not a ridiculous amount! Here are the minimum specs I'm looking for:

• At least Quad Core
  • At least 8GB RAM
  • At least 100GB Disk (SSD Preferred)
  • At least 1 IPv4
  • At good Network Uplink Speed (100Mb minimum)

Would prefer around the £25-£30 mark but if reasonable, can go higher.

Throw some offers at me and I'll decide on which I think is best.

Thanks!

Comments

• Hi David, we can offer you one in Coventry for £25 if you get no closer offers, quad core with 4gb of ram, 1tb sata and 1000mb uplink speed - we can add another 4gb for an additional £5

• IshaqIshaq Member

How flexible? It's best to state the maximum you're willing to pay so you get reasonable offers.

• If this is long term and you're interested in brand new hardware, give us a shout!

• laticlatic Member, Host Rep

Messaged M247 directly, he generally has some older stock

• NekkiNekki Veteran

northhosts said: Hi David, we can offer you one in Coventry for £25 if you get no closer offers, quad core with 4gb of ram, 1tb sata and 1000mb uplink speed - we can add another 4gb for an additional £5

That's pretty nice - I've always had issues getting decent size disks on dedis in the UK.

• @Ishaq said:
    How flexible? It's best to state the maximum you're willing to pay so you get reasonable offers.

Added to Post. Thanks

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2016

Thanks for mentioning @cassa

@david_reid Have a look at our Sale offer here: https://www.clouvider.co.uk/dedicated-servers-sale

We can do SSDs and customise the hardware the way you want it !

If you're interested let me know, I'll be happy to help!

• We offer dedicated servers in London if they are of interest.

Pricing from £38.71 - all fully customisable, however you wish to deploy!

• @Jack said:
    Just curious what's your reasoning for wanting close to Manchester? Who do you use at home for your internet connection?

Was just thinking this as unless the OP's ISP and the Dedicated provider both peer in IX-Manchester or another peering point in the North it's likely to get routed via London anyway.

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • My tutoring company is based in Hyndburn, Lancashire and we provide private tutoring over the Internet using a system called BigBlueButton. BigBlueButton is a video/audio conferencing software that uses FreeSWITCH. We currently use HostUS on their 6GB VPS plan in London which is great but, the audio keeps cutting out with only two users on the system. I figured if we get something closer to us, the quicker it would be but I'm not entirely sure on the Peering situation with popular ISPs, here in the UK. What would you recommend we do?

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

david_reid said: What would you recommend we do?

Check that your problem is actually with the Internet connection and not with the CPU, etc.

If the problem is really with Internet connectivity between the server and your client (which I doubt), just getting the server in a better network will likely solve your issues.

I would be very surprised if that would be a problem with the Internet connection. More likely the application consumes too much CPU, and is unable to encode stream in the real-time.

Thanked by 1Jacob
  • dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited April 2016

Manchester > London latency shouldn't be a problem for voip/conferencing uses, just need to make sure everyone has enough bandwidth.

Also if it's using SIP/RTP for the audio it's possible firewalls.etc are getting in the way of it.

Peering Wise almost everyone will peer on at least LINX, some will Peer on IX-Manchester and others but it's no where near as popular.

Unless one of the ISP's involved is congested or has a network issue I would suspect the problem isn't the latency but rather perhaps CPU as @clouvider suggested

Edit: Also what is the connection of the person doing the presenting it's possible if they're having to push the content to the server and have something like ADSL it's insufficient upstream bandwidth at their end.

• dragon2611 said: Manchester > London latency shouldn't be a problem for voip/conferencing uses, just need to make sure everyone has enough bandwidth.

I see.

dragon2611 said: Unless one of the ISP's involved is congested or has a network issue I would suspect the problem isn't the latency but rather perhaps CPU as @clouvider suggested

Could it be because it is currently running on a VPS therefore, the CPU is being shared?

dragon2611 said: Also what is the connection of the person doing the presenting it's possible if they're having to push the content to the server and have something like ADSL it's insufficient upstream bandwidth at their end.

During the testing, I couldn't hear the other party very well but neither could the other party hear me very well. At this location, I'm using BT Infinity with an Upload of approximately 8Mbps.

@david_reid you'd need to monitor CPU during the conversation to see if this is the bottleneck. You can use 'top' tool to do that.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

david_reid said: Could it be because it is currently running on a VPS therefore, the CPU is being shared?

Easy way to tell - monitor the CPU during a call and see how things are performing.

• @Clouvider - NIXStats to the rescue (The session was at about 19:00):

CPU Load:

Memory Usage

• @Nekki said:

david_reid said: Could it be because it is currently running on a VPS therefore, the CPU is being shared?

Easy way to tell - monitor the CPU during a call and see how things are performing.

As you can see above ^

Potentially. If it was then it looks like the time isn't synchronised.

Login to the server on two PCs with this software to simulate the load, run too to see if the process is maxing one core.