Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Eor Server Move
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Eor Server Move

alterarchalterarch Member
edited February 2013 in General

Just got this email:

Subject: eoreality.net - Hardware Upgrades & IP Changes (MUST READ ENTIRELY)

Body:

Greetings Valued Customers!

We're writing to inform you of some exciting new changes coming to End of Reality and our performance hosting offerings!

We will be performing the following upgrades in the USA:

-100% New Hardware (All Game, Voice and VDS Servers will enjoy - E3-1270v2 @3.5ghz, 32gb DDR3 ECC with 100% SSD Storage!!!)
-Network Level DDoS Protection (A new networking infrastructure giving us the ability to mitigate attacks rapidly, and effectively.)

What these changes mean for you (READ ENTIRELY):

-Drastically increased I/O Disk Performance and CPU Speeds
For starters, we'll be upgrading every single peice of hardware we have to new state of the art, industry leading machines - including incredible performing processors and memory. NO system will run on anything lower than a 3.5Ghz processor and insanely fast DDR3 ECC memory. But we didn't want to stop there; every machine we host services on will now run on SSD based hard drives to add even more blazing fast speed and response times. We are also using this opportunity to extend and rebuild our back end productions to ensure a quicker and more responsive infrastructure that will provide nothing less than the fastest behind the scenes actions which no other company can provide.

-Advanced DDoS protection for all of your services
Our new network environment will allow us to rapidly mitigate attacks faster than ever, and sometimes you won't even feel an attack because they can be mitigated and absorbed by our network automatically! For large scale attacks we have 24/7 monitoring to provide almost instant mitigation from our tier 1 upstream network carriers.

-ALL IP's WILL BE CHANGED (READ BELOW)
All customers need to know that with these improvements will be some adverse affects that we know customers hate to hear, especially some that have been with us for awhile and have gone through previous migrations and upgrades. We will be moving to all new machines and because of that maintaining our existing IP addresses will be something we won't be able to do at all. We sincerly appologize as this is the biggest change that will be happening, however, we will be leaving all old servers online for an entire week to allow public servers, especially those on games that aren't BF3/MoHW that depend heavily on IP addresses to inform and update all of their regulars to the change in IP.

BF3 & MOHW Servers - These servers cannot be ran side by side as duplicates and thus we'll be moving them as they're empty. We will make our best effort to identify customers who have procon with us so that we may update their procon information. Please note as a BF3/MoHW server, you will not lose your listing in battlelog as it does not attach to your IP address at all but rather a unique ID that will be maintained when your server is moved. You will, however, need to update your entry in gametracker. Sadly we have no control over gametracker as it is a subsidiary of gameservers.com. We will also be providing updated DNS/IP addresses for all procon clients.

Voice Servers - Customers running voice servers will not see any change as most should already be using our DNS names (ex. chi.eoreality.net) which will be maintained. For those using the IP address, you will need to update your entries to the new IP's.

OpenVZ VPS Servers - For all of our clients running our OpenVZ VPS services, we will be creating a new VPS server for you within the new infrastructure for which you will recieve a new welcome email. There will be an overlap period of 1 week where you can migrate all of your data to your new VPS, and your old VPS will remain online. We can also perform this migration for you for a one time cost of $5 USD. Simply send in a support ticket at:https://billing.eoreality.net/ with your migration request.
Old VPS Panel: http://solusvm.eoreality.net:5353/
New VPS Panel: http://vps.eoreality.net:5353/

Conclusion:

We believe in nothing more than investing back in our products and services, thus we want all customers to know this is exactly what we're doing with change. In time hardware gets dated, companies expand and most of all we owe a debt to each and every customer to do our best in providing the mandatory needs to make not only our company better, faster and stronger, but also a drive for you, our customer's success!

We invite all customers that have any questions or concerns to send in a ticket with us and our staff will be more than happy to address each and every ticket as promptly as possible at: https://billing.eoreality.net/

We appreciate your time in taking to read this message and look forward to continuing in bringing you the best possible service and support!

Sincerely,

The EOR Team :)
End of Reality LLC
www.eoreality.net

Just to let you know, I am not part of End of reality, just a customer.

Comments

• Who? What?

• They are End Of Reality servers. They posted a LEB offer on lowendbox.com a while back.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Great that they're giving a one-week period to transfer.

• I guess so. I would like to know why though...

• @alterarch said: -Advanced DDoS protection for all of your services

Our new network environment will allow us to rapidly mitigate attacks faster than ever, and sometimes you won't even feel an attack because they can be mitigated and absorbed by our network automatically! For large scale attacks we have 24/7 monitoring to provide almost instant mitigation from our tier 1 upstream network carriers.

The wording is really unclear imo. I wonder what they consider a "large scale attack".

• edited February 2013

@Damian End Of Reality. They provide good VPS' in Chicago. Stable, reliable, good performance.

That said, why don't they just move the OVz images?

• Congrats on upgrade :).

Does full SSD mean, they will reduce storage for current clients?

• Got the same email, their service are very good, uptime/IO/network,etc. I got no problem.

It's good that the give a 1 week period for clients to transfer, but this means we need to build and set up new system manually, seems they charge a $5 fee if anyone want to have a full container transfer (like BlueVM did recently).

@NHRoel said: Does full SSD mean, they will reduce storage for current clients?

Worrying about this too.

• @Jack Thanks, quite clear now.

• @Jack said: Doing automatic moves its quite difficult from one DC to another.

And? Since it's a move imposed by the provider and not the user, the provider should be the one managing it all, not users.

• To let you know, I emailed them and none of the OpenVZ plans are getting SSD. Still on the good old Raid 10.

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

A $5 dollar fee to transfer customer data???? This is unacceptable in my eyes, its the principle behind this that is beginning to bother me the most here, good thing im not a customer.

• Sadly I do use these and will be moving to another provider once my paid time is up

• I got a good experience with them, but again, most of my fav provider nowadays has the same new hobby, moving things around, probably I change/re-config my vps 4-5 times already this year, mostly because the provider want to get better ddos protection.

come on guys, ddos protection should be part of standard services. Doesn’t make sense for me if a provider sell this as separate addon, its like saying, if you paying more to us, you'll save, otherwise you're on your own (aka dead).

imposing migration fee is also strange to me, its like you want to change your toys but ask someone to pay for it. I know that everyone trying to make money here, but I think this one is just too much.

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited February 2013

@graca said: come on guys, ddos protection should be part of standard services. Doesn’t make sense for me if a provider sell this as separate addon, its like saying, if you paying more to us, you'll save, otherwise you're on your own (aka dead).

Sure. This means the overall price will be increased when everyone doesn't need it. In a market with price constraints this will be hard. Imagine DDoS costs $3/month per VPS.

This means, e.g. a 256MB VPS costing $3 will now ALL cost $6. I'm sure most people wouldn't want that - hence the addon.

It's not so black and white, but DDoS protection costs money.

Disregarding financial costs - DDoS protection often uses inexpensive bandwidth, e.g. HE+Cogent. You simply do need huge amounts of cheap bandwidth to throw at it.

It means if ALL customers are DDoS protected, the latency / throughput will be a lot worse potentially.

@graca said: imposing migration fee is also strange to me, its like you want to change your toys but ask someone to pay for it. I know that everyone trying to make money here, but I think this one is just too much.

Definitely agrees with this. Shouldn't charge.

• If you are having to change IP and migrate the data yourself, I am sure many will just simply switch to a different provider.

I understand sometimes it is necessary to change IPs (heck we have done it ourselves) we'd never dare charge to migrate users though.

• @graca said: come on guys, ddos protection should be part of standard services. Doesn’t make sense for me if a provider sell this as separate addon, its like saying, if you paying more to us, you'll save, otherwise you're on your own (aka dead).

What about the many, many users who do things with their containers that never attract any kind of DDOS? Isn't it a waste of time providing protection as standard when not that many users actually need it?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited February 2013

@ShardHost said: I am sure many will just simply switch to a different provider.

Exactly my thoughts. This is such a perfect time to cancel, I wonder if many or most customers will just not bother and will cancel their VPS instead. After all there are specials and new offers all the time, and if you have to change your IP and set-up your VPS from scratch anyway, why not do that on a different provider, might very well be cheaper and higher quality than someone who pulls tricks like these (the $5 fee to just move the VPS container).

• alterarchalterarch Member
    edited February 2013

@ShardHost said: If you are having to change IP and migrate the data yourself, I am sure many will just simply switch to a different provider.

I understand sometimes it is necessary to change IPs (heck we have done it ourselves) we'd never dare charge to migrate users though.

I would normally consider this to be the time to change providers, but so far I have had great service, good performance, good support and a fairly good deal (2GB RAM for 15/Quarter). I don't think there are many other providers could match those numbers and maintain a decent level of support plus allowing proxies, VPNs etc.

• I know that ddos protection cost money and maybe not all needed, I used to believed that I don't need SSH, I used to be a happy telnet user, until my server got hacked. The story always the same, why do I need to lock the door, if there are no thief? But the world is not perfect. ddos protection should one of top priority for any serious provider nowadays.

I'm still EOR happy customer, I just don't like they migration fee idea, and the rest of my comment is in general context, not exclusively for EOR.

• @graca Bit of a flawed example there. Anything on the Internet is a potential hacking target, whereas every VPS isn't a DDOS target. Personally I don't really want to pay more to support people who are too cheap to buy their own DDOS protection.

• @Nekki yes Agree with you at some point, but I'm saying in virtualization context, where everyone share some resources, at various level, it did affected the others.

• alterarchalterarch Member
    edited February 2013

I am also not a fan of paying for a migration that they organised if I want my container to be transferred especially considering that my VPS is on their 'Fully Managed' plan. I can see why they have to though, as transferring thousands of VPS' by hand would take quite a long amount of time.

EDIT: I contacted their support and they said that they would migrate my server free of charge because I am on their Managed Plan.

• @rm_ said: Exactly my thoughts. This is such a perfect time to cancel, I wonder if many or most customers will just not bother and will cancel their VPS instead. After all there are specials and new offers all the time, and if you have to change your IP and set-up your VPS from scratch anyway, why not do that on a different provider, might very well be cheaper and higher quality than someone who pulls tricks like these (the $5 fee to just move the VPS container).

Pretty much what I am thinking

• Hmmmm... Seem to be getting 40%-50% packet loss. Could just be because everyone is reuploading their VPSs. I have to wait and see.

• perennateperennate Member, Host Rep

Got the new VPS today, so far it's super super fast. Might only be due to idle so probably will go down in quality, but still pretty good.