Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OSX VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OSX VPS?

DamianDamian Member
edited February 2013 in General

Anyone have a suggestion for an OS X "remote desktop" service? Google searching turns up plenty of them in 2010-2011, all of which are dead or bosozoku-priced ($20+).

I'm looking for an OS X "account" to use for taking screenshots when writing instructions for our new Knowledge Base for OSX users to refer to. I don't need a lot of performance or bandwidth or whatever, just need the look and feel.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• RyanDRyanD Member
    edited February 2013

one of our customers does that... http://www.hostmyapple.com

but I should note the prices are anything but LEB style :(

• @RyanD said: one of our customers does that... http://www.hostmyapple.com

$50 per month is more than $20, which was already specified as being excessive. Thanks anyway!

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

@Damian
    Honestly, don't think you will find anything cheap. I've spent some time in the past looking for one, however didn't succeed. I think your best bet is to ask one of your macos customer or a friend of yours to take the screenshots.

Alexander

• Why not run OS X in VirtualBox and take screenshots on there?

• @murky said: Why not run OS X in VirtualBox and take screenshots on there?

Oh that's a good idea! I'll do that instead, thanks!

• Here: http://www.macincloud.com/

$1 per hour. Might work out cheaper for you?

• @Damian I can provide a VNC login to an old PowerBook G4 running 10.5 (leopard) if you need it.

• I've convinced @phxadam to give me a user account on his fire-breathing mega-PC. If that doesn't work for whatever reason, I'm going to try Virtualbox on my own laptop. If THAT doesn't work, i'll probably take you up on that @dmmcintyre3, thanks!

Thanked by 1orzfly
  • hackintosh is a pita, but I highly recommend setting one up for work environments.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@Damian I looked in to it a while back, the problem is the licensing.

Apple only allow their server OS to be virtualised and you must have 1 license per virtual machine running.

As I say this I just looked up the prices again and WTF only $19.99 per license now?

Might be time to have a look again.

• I did this a while back and followed this tutorial..works pretty good except for the odd fragmentation when playing games and the computer getting somewhat unresponsive when you have launchpad opened, but overall still usable.

• I wonder if Mac OS X Server will run on KVM :D

• @earl said: I did this a while back and followed this tutorial..works pretty good except for the odd fragmentation when playing games and the computer getting somewhat unresponsive when you have launchpad opened, but overall still usable.

I feel like not only is playing video games on OSX a bad idea, but it's also worse in a virtualbox

• earlearl Member
    edited February 2013

@fly said: I feel like not only is playing video games on OSX a bad idea, but it's also worse in a virtualbox

Well I only install the free games from the App store, just simple games like Mahjong and one that I'm addicted to pool.. the games don't play that bad at all.

• I can loan you a Osx server for a day.

• I think Mac OS X had something named "desktop sharing" under sharing in settings which turns out to be an integrated VNC server.

• If nothing else works out I can take the screenshots for you (I'm not willing to hand over VNC control of my desktop to anyone).

• @fly said: hackintosh is a pita, but I highly recommend setting one up for work environments.

It's not too bad these days with the right hardware. My main workstation is a hackintosh. I used tonymacx86's multibeast to install the bootloader then just pop in the OSX disc.

• You can try virtualmacosx.com Their VPS plans start at $24.75 per month and XCode plans start at $9.75 per month.

• @dmmcintyre3 said: I can provide a VNC login to an old PowerBook G4 running 10.5 (leopard) if you need it.

I used to have one of those too (gave it to a friend). Good luck getting a recent browser to run on that ;)

• DamianDamian Member
    edited February 2013

Was able to successfully get OSX set up over RDP on Adam's computer:

It's slow, but usable for what I need.

Thanks for the input, everyone!

• edited February 2013

How'd you do it @Damian? I'm pretty interested in doing something similar. Did you use the retail OSX?

• rofl

osx inside virtualbox over rdp

glhf input lag

• @fly said: osx inside virtualbox over rdp

glhf input lag

Yep. Clicking on window buttons is difficult, but it works for my purposes.