Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are the odds...?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What are the odds...?

MiguelQMiguelQ Member
edited February 2013 in General

What are the odds of two VPS providers located in the same facility (say Choopa) going offline at the same time?

What would take for both of them to go down?

Comments

• DamianDamian Member
    edited February 2013

A power outage.

A network cable has been cut.

Both providers didn't pay the bill and the facility batches terminations.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2013

Huge DDoS? FBI DC raid? Hurricane?

• Nuclear missile

• @Damian said: A power outage.

Any first hand experience of such things happening in said DC to multiple providers? Couldn't find anything resembling something like that

• @KernelSanders said: Nuclear missile

Wouldn't that affect the west coast more likely? o.O

• @Spirit said: Hurricane?

I think they did pretty well during Sandy

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2013

@MiguelQ said: Wouldn't that affect the west coast more likely? o.O

Yeah, but effect would be still the same. Both providers down.

Main point of answers (some more extreme, some less) is that things can go wrong and putting all eggs in one basket it's never good idea. Nothing arguable here.

• @MiguelQ said: Any first hand experience of such things happening in said DC to multiple providers? Couldn't find anything resembling something like that

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/7958/buyvm-vegas-whats-the-deal/p1

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2013

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/06/21/f-b-i-seizes-web-servers-knocking-sites-offline/?smid=tw-nytimesbits

Mr. Ostroumow said that the F.B.I. was only interested in one of the company’s clients but had taken servers used by “tens of clients.”

http://www.examiner.com/article/fbi-raid-on-data-center-shuts-down-businesses-updated

Thursday, in the early hours of the morning, the FBI threw a master switch on a data center and ended the good reputation cultivated by a lawful business interested in hosting websites and providing internet serivces.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

It's quite possible. However you are referring to choopa everything I have there is still up.

• @Fliphost said: However you are referring to choopa everything I have there is still up.

If I remember correct Choopa NJ survived Sandy without one second of downtime. They were really well prepared.

We have initiated our "inclement weather procedures" which include verifying site coverage teams, emergency contact numbers, adequacy of onsite fuel supplies, as well as, emergency tools & materials.

• @Fliphost said: It's quite possible. However you are referring to choopa everything I have there is still up.

He was using it as an example since that's what came in his head probably.

• It depends on the data center and what they have. Fiberhub didn't have true A+B power, so that's a reason as well.

@Spirit You are correct

• I would assume Choopa's nice/new DC has multiple legs of power delivered in your cabinet - I remember when I used to support systems at SwitchNap in Vegas, there was A+B+C power above your cabinet. I am pretty sure Fiberhub is single source with the power issues that have been seen recently.

@dano

As per choopa's site

"1000+ Gigabit
    Network Capacity
    100% Uptime
    Guarantee
    0% Packet Loss
    Guarantee
    "

Tier 4 data center

Tier 4 = Tier 1 + Tier 2 + Tier 3 + all components are fully fault-tolerant including uplinks, storage, chillers, HVAC systems, servers etc. Everything is dual-powered.

Tier 4: Guaranteeing 99.995% availability.

• @Fliphost said: Tier 4: Guaranteeing 99.995% availability.

So the odds of two providers in Choopa failing at the same time are pretty low, would you agree?

@MiguelQ Outside of a physical node hardware issue I would say yes.

If the provider is colocating out of choopa it might be a different situation if they are running a separate network.

• MiguelQMiguelQ Member
    edited February 2013

@Fliphost said: If the provider is colocating out of choopa it might be a different situation if they are running a separate network.

Well, just found out that both are running from the RealibleSite network, so all bets are off :D

• If one of those providers is us, we have no reports of downtime from internal or external monitoring:

http://stats.pingdom.com/pzfkq6m3d3pm

Maybe it was your route to our servers :S Let us know if we can assist in anyway :)

• @MiguelQ said: What are the odds of two VPS providers located in the same facility (say Choopa) going offline at the same time?

dependent on DC problem.

• MiguelQMiguelQ Member
    edited February 2013

@GetKVM_Ash said: If one of those providers is us, we have no reports of downtime from internal or external monitoring

No downtime or problems in the present, just thinking ahead ;)

• Ah sorry I misread, I was wondering why we hadn't been notified :)

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Raptor shark

Oh wait, we stopped throwing things out there D:

• DC getting hit by meteor

• edited February 2013

Very possible as of late