Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for storage VPS in the USA
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for storage VPS in the USA

alterarchalterarch Member
edited February 2013 in Help

Hey guys,

I was looking for a storage VPS with the same specs as BuyVM's KVM Storage plan. They are currently sold out and I am not a complete fan of their Las Vegas location. The server needs to be allowed to run private VPNs and proxies and have tun / tap enabled.

The BuyVM's Specs are:
Type: KVM
RAM: 256MB
HDD: 250 GB
Bandwidth: 2.5TB
Price: $7.00 / Month

If any providers out there have this kind of a plan, could you post below as I would really appreciate it :).

Comments

• Interesting if anyone can beat that pricing

• @alterarch said: BuyVM's KVM Storage plan. They are currently sold out

They are always "sold out" during the weekends, AFAIK they handle sales only on Monday to Friday (their time).

• @rds100 said: They are always "sold out" during the weekends, AFAIK they handle sales only on Monday to Friday (their time).

Yeah, but I need someone a bit sooner and, like I said, the LV location is not great from where I am located.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@alterarch said: Yeah, but I need someone a bit sooner and, like I said, the LV location is not great from where I am located.

Let me know what 'isnt good' and i'll look into it :) I can't do much about latency alas.

We'll have storage up in a few hours.

Francisco

• @Francisco I seem to be getting a ping around ~400ms (Australia). I guess that does not really matter when It comes down to storage VPSs though. I might wait a few hours and then try the storage VPS and see how it goes.

Get me a trace and I'll see if Rob can improve that :)

It's very much possible it's taking some REALLY screwy route.

What part of AUS are you in?

Fran

• @Francisco Yeah, i'm in Sydney. Most hosts apart from ones in Dallas and Chicago seem to give quite high pings. When I order the server, I will check if the server is giving me any trouble and send you a trace if it is :).

You should be ~200ms from Sydney.

Get me a trace.

Fran

Just trace to 205.185.112.1 and let me know.

As well as 209.141.32.1.

Francisco

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited February 2013

Try http://ca.lg.cloudshards.net - we have OpenVZ storage plans. It's in WebNX LA.

https://www.cloudshards.com/backupvpshosting.php

As to Sydney - which ISP are you with? TPG / PIPE based will be horrible.

Otherwise should be 160-200ms.

• alterarchalterarch Member
    edited February 2013

@Francisco I am getting a ~7 ms ping from those. Are those in Las Vegas? 0.o

**EDIT: ** My bad, I just realised that the terminal session was logged into one of my US VPSs. I am getting around ~300ms which is much better than about a week ago.

@concerto49 said: As to Sydney - which ISP are you with? TPG / PIPE based will be horrible.

Haha I am not that cheap. I went with Optus. Telstra would have been better but they offer much less BW.

@alterarch said: @Francisco I am getting a ~7 ms ping from those. Are those in Las Vegas? 0.o

yep o_O Maybe your ISP does something funky.

If you PM me your home IP I'll ping you from LAS and we'll see what the return path takes, etc.

Francisco

• @Francisco Nah, that was my fault. I will PM you a trace from my IP. It seems to be a lot better than a while ago now.

• @Francisco, I'm on 206ms, but I did some tricks. It should be about ~220ms.

As a comparison ping ca.lg.cloudshards.net is 170ms for me. I get 160ms on another LA location.

@alterarch - post the trace.

I suspect Optus congestion more than anything.

• @concerto49 Yeah, Optus is not know for consistency. Some days, you can get 60mbps speeds and others you will struggle to reach 2mbps. I purchased the business 500GB BW account with the speed booster pack, though I am not sure how much of a difference that truly makes.

• @alterarch. I'm on iinet. Seems to be better. I also reduced my throughput to reduce latency (by removing interleaving) just so things like IPMI would work better.

@concerto49 said: just so things like IPMI would work better.

Oh christ you do IPMI from AUS to the east coast?

You poor soul!

Francisco

• @Francisco said: Oh christ you do IPMI from AUS to the east coast?

You poor soul!

Yeah that's what I'm saying... I had to IPMI to a server on the east coast and it was a pain

• RurikoRuriko Member
    edited February 2013

I get 170ms in Brisbane, Australia O.o
    and when the servers were in SJ it was 200ms. That's a big improvement!

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited February 2013

@Francisco said: Oh christ you do IPMI from AUS to the east coast?

You poor soul!

Not the installs. I delegate that to slave labor (but also in Asia/Oceania). By the time I upload just the ISO I'd be dead. The connection is so slow.

p.s. I have to do some real work :)

• @alterarch said: Yeah, Optus is not know for consistency. Some days, you can get 60mbps speeds and others you will struggle to reach 2mbps. I purchased the business 500GB BW account with the speed booster pack, though I am not sure how much of a difference that truly makes.

If you really are a business plan, that's crap. Log a fault and get them to fix the issue.

I'm from Adelaide and have a storage node with BuyVM myself.

• @concerto49 said: Not the installs. I delegate that to slave labor (but also in Asia/Oceania). By the time I upload just the ISO I'd be dead. The connection is so slow.

Setup a VPS on another server, install Samba, create a share, upload your CentOS ISOs there and mount as Virtual CDROM through IPMI ;)

• @SonicVPS The joys of contacting Optus Support. I have tried and failed since they do not guarantee any speed.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

Fliphost has some deals running on a new node in Dallas, very speedy stuff going on there.

• We can hit that price in Vegas but looks like an issue with your ISP.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

I can certainly hit that price point:

Offered in Choopa NJ and Dallas Tx.

Ill bump any ram for you at no charge if you put it on the order notes.

http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/7818/fliphost-20-off-storage-offer-increased-bandwidth-100gb-for-3

• @24khost @Fliphost I might try out BuyVM for a month and if it does not work out (weird traces or pings) then I will contact both of you. Thanks for the offer though :).

• sounded like they were working on stuff for you @alterarch

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

@alterarch No problem, good luck :)

• @Fliphost those are great prices! I want to sign up too!