Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Incremental Backups?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Incremental Backups?

raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran
edited February 2013 in General

My backups at present are rsync-based. No problem if a VPS (or provider :) dies, but not so good for "need to recover a file from three days ago," at least, not without keeping multiple full rsyncs.

Anyone doing something with a LEB-friendly full/incremental kind of system?

Comments

• if you don't need binary delta tracking, then git is a pretty easy way to go

• duplicity works really well for me

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@jbxl said: duplicity works really well for me

Seems like if you have a 20GB VPS, best you can ever backup with duplicity is 10GB, though...it makes big tarballs before shipping. At least, that's what I read on their site.

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited February 2013

rsnapshot?
    It uses hard links and rsync :P

• Try backuppc also have incremental

• nfnnfn Veteran

I use hourly rsync and rdiff-backup to an external server.
    Rsync gives me a mirror and rdiff-backup let me recover old files

@nfn said: I use hourly rsync and rdiff-backup to an external server.

@yomero said: rsnapshot?

I will check both of those, though rdiff-backup is ~4 years since last update and rsnapshot is dated 2005.

• @raindog308 said: Seems like if you have a 20GB VPS, best you can ever backup with duplicity is 10GB, though...it makes big tarballs before shipping. At least, that's what I read on their site.

The chunk size is configurable but the standard size is only 25 megabytes.

• @nfn said: I use hourly rsync and rdiff-backup to an external server.

Rsync gives me a mirror and rdiff-backup let me recover old files

rdiff-backup is also excellent.

• At the host node level r1soft/idera is leb cost friendly, we sell licenses at $8.95/mo. Of course it requires more hardware to backup but it gets you all that point in time backup functionality

• Use BackupPC!
    This is exactly what you need there.

BackupPC stores all files in a pool and only rsyncs updated ones.

You can restore a file with a single click, pretty awesome ;)

• @fly said: if you don't need binary delta tracking, then git is a pretty easy way to go

+1 I personally use mercurial (for development and as an addition to full backups), but a dvcs can be wonderful to track changes to files over time.

• @raindog308 said: I will check both of those, though rdiff-backup is ~4 years since last update and rsnapshot is dated 2005.

Old doesn't mean bad.

Anyway, that's what we use at work.

• Just wrote an article about this yesterday: https://raymii.org/s/tutorials/Website-and-database-backup-with-Duplicity.html - secure incremental backups using duplicity for your webapp...

@Raymii said: Just wrote an article about this yesterday

404'd...just tried. But this link works:

https://www.raymii.org/s/tutorials/Website-and-database-backup-with-Duplicity.html

I guess the www is needed.

• @Raymii said: Just wrote an article about this yesterday: https://raymii.org/s/tutorials/Website-and-database-backup-with-Duplicity.html - secure incremental backups using duplicity for your webapp...

I really wish I could read this :)

Seems like you have some good ideas on your site... not the first time I found something good to read there @Raymii

• @raindog308 said: I will check both of those, though rdiff-backup is ~4 years since last update

If it ain't broke don't fix it ;)

rdiff-backup is my primary backup method, and on several occasions I've restored individual directories or files to particular points-in-time. Never had an issue.

• Should also take a look, currently using rsync but sometimes there are customers who need a backup from a few days back.

Thanks for the thread @raindog308

• @sleddog said: rdiff-backup is my primary backup method, and on several occasions I've restored individual directories or files to particular points-in-time. Never had an issue.

Duplicity uses both rdiff and rsync underneath...

@jbxl thanks :)

@raindog308 the 404 does not occur for me, however I got a few errors deploying so I guess it is not on all servers...

• Duplicity. I send 20G backups to S3 using 250MB chunks.

• nfnnfn Veteran
    edited February 2013

@raindog308 said: rdiff-backup is ~4 years since last update

Yes, but works very well and it's easy to find and restore files.

• There is some tutorial that uses rsync and symbolic links so he has several versions but minimal disk consumption

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited February 2013

I <3 rsnapshot for exacly that purpose. No matter how old it is - it works great here.

• I think owncloud has full versioning but I don't think you can point a one point in time and say, retrieve everything as it looked then. It's worth a look though.

• Duplicity backup to another VPS. A full backup once a month, and daily incrementals. I also do a nightly rsync to my home, so I've got a local copy of everything.

• @raindog308 duplicity backups are usually smaller than source because everything is gzipped.

and you can encrypt it with gpg to keep your files really private.