Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Problems with HE.net in HK anyone?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Problems with HE.net in HK anyone?

randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

Is anyone else experiencing problems with HurricaneElectric in HK or the Asia region in general?

International connectivity has been sketchy for over 12 hours now. Connection has been rendered unusable with >99% packet loss from all of our testing stations in Europe and USA.

HE.net responded saying they had a customer with a DDoS attack and claimed it had already been mitigated, but here were are 12 hours later and the line is still unusable.

Anyone else seeing this? I could not find any reports or mentions of outages anywhere online.

For the time being we have re-routed via our backup line. But the situation is ridiculous because it's not like the line is DOWN DOWN. HE.net continues to advertise routes to us, even though they are unreachable, and they continue to advertise our IPs, and many ISPs seem to prefer HE.net routes, so we have had to manually drop them from our router and shut down the BGP session. Does this happen to anyone else?

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2016

Well, it's not like HE.net is a top carrier, it's rather on the extreme low end.

Surely HE will announce your subnets as long as you announce them to them (unless you use an no-export community for example?) I don't understand why would you expect otherwise.

In other words, you got what you pay for. If you need quality look for other carrier, but mind that will be up to several times more expensive. I'd personally never recommend HE as main carrier for any network.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@clouvider

Its not our main route. HGC is our main. HE.net we use as an Economy route in HK. So we have HE.net as the main provider in our economy mix.

Yes they only advertise our IPs if we advertise to them, but our routers dont know to drop HE.net if its only a partial outage. If they were conpletely out, then our routes wont be advertised to them. It just all requires a manual config.

HE.net may not be a 'top' carrier but they are one of the largest and a lot of ISPs prefer HE.net routes, probably because its cheaper than the alternatives.

• If you really go and check the HE route, you will found many congested point.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2016

@randvegeta agreed. Well, that's how BGP works, you'd need to apply some sort of monitoring + automated traffic engineering that would influence your BGP when it gets triggered. There are commercial tools available for that, definitely not ideal as they monitor only top talkers, but would certainly help. Would definitely increase your costs though, they are billed per Gbit/s. Alternatively you can write your own.

If your Customers require higher reliability though you'd really need to look at changing your carrier. Especially that inbound routes are extremely hard to influence when compared to outgoing routes that you can manage freely. In general if I'd recommend to use HE for something that would probably be as an outgoing route only in combination with BGP optimization system that would constantly monitor the path and only use it if it's faster than any other route available.

• I'm a native HongKonger, and HE is a nightmare to me all the time. Maybe you should avoid it at all cost?