Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Object Storage
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Object Storage

WickedWicked Member
edited April 2016 in Help

Hello,

I'm planning on moving all my static content over to OVH's Object Storage. Very good SLA and triple replication. But will this be a better solution then CloudFlare Free? It's my first time using Object Storage and OpenStack so I'm not 100% sure if it will benefit me.

My current setup for all my static content is OVH VPS SSD(1 cpu, 4gb ram) + CloudFlare Free.

Can anyone help me decide? (btw, its not possible to run Object Storage behind CF).

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Object storage and cloudflare are two very different things

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • WickedWicked Member
    edited April 2016

@Awmusic12635 said:
    Object storage and cloudflare are two very different things

I know. CloudFlare is not for storage. But I'm thinking more about speed and performance.

• Are you maxing out the 100Mbps connection on your VPS with uploads or running out of space?

• @mikeyur said:
    Are you maxing out the 100Mbps connection on your VPS with uploads or running out of space?

No. Just looking for a change

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

@Wicked said:

There should be some reason why you are looking for a change. Unless you've got nothing else to do of course :)

• mafiadonmafiadon Member
    edited April 2016

Go to Delimiter I heard they adopt the same business model that we have.

• @Wicked said:

If neither of those things are a problem, you're not going to see much benefit moving it over. CloudFlare CDN is probably going to give you more benefits than serving out of a single location.

• IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello,

If you're not persuaded regarding the gain maybe you could keep the two solutions for one month.
    During that month you will be able to run any test you want et check if the benefit is real.

• @Wicked said:
    Hello,

I'm planning on moving all my static content over to OVH's Object Storage. Very good SLA and triple replication. But will this be a better solution then CloudFlare Free? It's my first time using Object Storage and OpenStack so I'm not 100% sure if it will benefit me.

My current setup for all my static content is OVH VPS SSD(1 cpu, 4gb ram) + CloudFlare Free.

Can anyone help me decide? (btw, its not possible to run Object Storage behind CF).

I think you want CDN.

• cloudflare won't give you much of a speed or performance boost. Seems what you need is more power or probably some page optimization, look into the options you can implement without spending first and then if you don't get the results you want, you can look into upgrading.

• @mafiadon said:
    Go to Delimiter I heard they adopt the same business model that we have.

So you claim HA, redundancy, and top tier infrastructure and blame third parties when things go wrong every other month?

• bookstackbookstack Member
    edited April 2016

My 2 cents:

CDN is for the manageable static assets, aka you know exactly what they are before hand, such as bundled javascript, images, sprits, CSS, web fonts, etc.

Obj Store is for dynamic assets, for example, the uploaded content from the user. You have no control of the content or the size, and don't bother to setup the redundancy or backup for the upload folder. Outsourcing this complexity to a obj store seems a sane solution.

• Never tried OVH, but talked to the delimiter Obj Store:

• they have triple duplication
    • no SLA attached
    • bundled price, storage + traffic => monthly flat price

Try play both to find your sweet spot.