Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VIrtual routers and switches for BGP?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VIrtual routers and switches for BGP?

arunarun Member

I have seen many providers need no additional hardware routers when we colocate with them (with BGP ). Were as few many need to setup client infrastructure (including routers and switches) to communicate with their routers.

Are there any difference between both setup. I believe in both cases the annouced IP prefixes will show ORIGIN ASN as client ASN.

I am trying to understand what kind of setup advance DC infrastructure will be using to accommodate BGP setup without customer routers.

Comments

• You need a switch and router thats all both setups do the same thing. Just one is passed down from the provider to the client if the client has his own switches and routers then the provider just static routes the stuff to the clients routers. Well thats just what I understand about it all.

• randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

You don't technically need a switch for BGP... Just a router is enough. Sorry... what's your question?

• arunarun Member

DapKiln said:

randvegeta said: Just a router is enough.

Please excuse me if i am wrong, I have seen providers saying you can colocate your hardware and announce IP without client routers. They will chop up the IP's to multiple colocation hardware with out client router. As per my understanding client router should communicate with provider router. So is there some mechanism to full virtualize the provider routers (for client BGP session). I am just trying to understand this.

• dfroedfroe Member, Host Rep

If your question is regarding the hardware routers, some providers might use enterprise routers or firewalls which can be virtualized. You can buy one large redundant box for your DC and then run lots of virtual instances on top of it. This way you can give every customer (who is willing to pay for it) an own router or firewall instance (with own BGP processes etc.) without having to order (and maintain) separate hardware boxes. While this of course isn't LET price range anymore, there are DCs offering such services.

Thanked by 1arun

You can also just deploy a VPS with the routing software on. Or directly install the a router OS like RouterOS and VyOS. Should work on just about any VPS and you can get full functionality of a BGP router. But of course it's never as good as a proper HW firewall, but probably still good enough for a few hundred meg. And my word it's cheap!

Thanked by 1arun
  • arunarun Member

dfroe said: some providers might use enterprise routers or firewalls which can be virtualized.

Got it :), may be some thing like Cisco 7500 Series ?

randvegeta said: You can also just deploy a VPS with the routing software on.

In this case throughput will be limited to that of the VPS, right

• nepsneps Member

randvegeta said: You can also just deploy a VPS with the routing software on.

If your provider sets limits per VM, this could become a bottleneck for your entire network real quick. You should really at least open a ticket and see what options you have.

arun said: In this case throughput will be limited to that of the VPS, right

That is true of everything. Deploy a dedicated or colo server, you're limited to whatever the host allows to whatever the port speed is. So it's really a moot point.