Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

scaleway KVM.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

scaleway KVM.

According to https://community.scaleway.com/t/custom-kernels-kvm-on-c2-etc/1914/7 KVM is now available on the C2 nodes if you select the latest kernel.

I did ask support if they'd be able to support nested Virt on the C2V line and they said they would check if it's possible to expose the VT extensions.

Would be nice as it would make moving existing VM's in/out a lot easier.

Thanked by 1deadbeef

Comments

• jvnadrjvnadr Member
    edited April 2016

That's nice! But it is a pity they can attach only one 1pv4 to every c2 server... The feature of virtualization is less needed if you have a single ipv4 address.

• @dragon2611 said:
    According to https://community.scaleway.com/t/custom-kernels-kvm-on-c2-etc/1914/7 KVM is now available on the C2 nodes if you select the latest kernel.

>

I did ask support if they'd be able to support nested Virt on the C2V line and they said they would check if it's possible to expose the VT extensions.

I am a bit confused. Being able to use KVM, doesn't it mean you are fully virtualizing an OS (say Windows)?

• deadbeef said: I am a bit confused. Being able to use KVM, doesn't it mean you are fully virtualizing an OS (say Windows)?

Tell DO that.

• @TarZZ92 said:
    Tell DO that.

So, what can one use KVM to do on a C2?

• For me it would make life easier as a lot of my existing VM's are KVM based so I could literally just transfer the virtual drive file and start it up on scaleway.

• dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited April 2016

Thanks a lot for your ticket.

We enabled nested vmx for our new hypervisors. Unfortunately, we can't reboot the instances of all of our clients so depending whether you're on a new or on a "old" hypervisor, nested vmx will work or not.

Fyi , So seems nested virt will work on some C2V instances.

Edit: New hypervisors are not deployed yet (I wish they'd have told me that earlier!)

Thanked by 1deadbeef