Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any providers with excess (>100GB) HDD space on the West Coast (US or Canada)?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any providers with excess (>100GB) HDD space on the West Coast (US or Canada)?

user123user123 Member
edited April 2016 in Requests

As the title says, West coast US/Canada (Vancouver or Seattle preferred over LA) is the goal. I am looking for >= 125GB disk space and I would prefer to keep my budget at around $15USD/year. Of course, HDD is fine and SSD is not required :P. For RAM, >= 512MB would be nice, as would >=500GB of BW.

Ideally, it will just be for storing stuff here and there that I'm transferring between VPS and for testing my (in)ability to install and configure scripts. Realistically, it will probably just sit idle and mostly empty and I'll keep renewing it because it's such a great deal :P. Such is life.

Cheers :)

Comments

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

Not possible. Budget is too little. At least double it.

• @davidgestiondbi said:
    Not possible. Budget is too little. At least double it.

I understand. However, in the context of past offers that have floated around, I thought it wouldn't hurt to see if any providers had extra disk space just laying around instead of just paying "full" (LET) price for one straight off the bat :).

• gestiondbigestiondbi Member, Patron Provider

Good luck then...

• The closest you can get is drserver's Xenstorage offer, $20 for 100GB, 512MB ram, xen, but in Dallas. Or ramnode's massive ssd cached plans, 80GB, 128MB, OVZ, available in Seattle.

Really the budget is quite low, I think at $20-25 a year you should be able to get lots of offers. For example 120GB plan at $25.92 a year with promo any10.

• @TheOnlyDK said:
    The closest you can get is drserver's Xenstorage offer, $20 for 100GB, 512MB ram, xen, but in Dallas. Or ramnode's massive ssd cached plans, 80GB, 128MB, OVZ, available in Seattle.

Really the budget is quite low, I think at $20-25 a year you should be able to get lots of offers. For example 120GB plan at $25.92 a year with promo any10.

I do have some wiggle room in the budget.

For context, I came across a live link for drserver's 150GB storage offer for $20/year a couple hours ago. However, I would prefer OpenVZ for simplicity.

If nothing else comes up, I will probably just go with Ramnode (and/or Time4VPS, though I am not sure of their routing to the West coast). But, at least I will have asked :).

• @user123 said:
    For context, I came across a live link for drserver's 150GB storage offer for $20/year a couple hours ago. However, I would prefer OpenVZ for simplicity.

What's wrong with Xen? It's not like you must install the OS yourself. They do have pre-made templates and it works just as well as OVZ. Other than reboots after a full upgrade with kernel, I don't see any differences between the two. By the way, pretty sure it's 100GB, unless if they are willing to make a custom deal for you.

@Brad @Radi

Thanked by 1bersy
  • RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2016

384 MB RAM(I can upgrade it to 512 MB)

150 GB Disk

500 GB Bandwidth

Xen

1 IPv4

$20/year

Thanked by 2TheOnlyDK vimalware
  • @Radi said:
    384 MB RAM(I can upgrade it to 512 MB)

150 GB Disk

500 GB Bandwidth

Xen

1 IPv4

$20/year

What's the link?

• @TheOnlyDK as recently as a couple days ago, I had come across a live link (not from LET) to one of their old 150GB XEN storage offers that was alive (it let me get to the checkout page with the correct plan). When I reloaded it tonight, it seems as though it is now dead. As far as XEN & KVM go, doesn't OS RAM usage come out of the VM's allocation? With these kinds of low-RAM boxes, If I ended up tossing OpenVPN on there and a couple other things, I'd worry about RAM usage more than I would with OpenVZ...or is that a baseless worry?

@Radi Thanks, I will keep you guys in mind! :)

• bersybersy Member
    edited April 2016

@linuxthefish might be able to offer such a VPS in CA OVH within your budget.

• @user123 said:
    TheOnlyDK as recently as a couple days ago, I had come across a live link (not from LET) to one of their old 150GB XEN storage offers that was alive (it let me get to the checkout page with the correct plan). When I reloaded it tonight, it seems as though it is now dead. As far as XEN & KVM go, doesn't OS RAM usage come out of the VM's allocation? With these kinds of low-RAM boxes, If I ended up tossing OpenVPN on there and a couple other things, I'd worry about RAM usage more than I would with OpenVZ...or is that a baseless worry?

Not sure if I'm correct though, but I understand that KVM or Xen only uses 30-40mb more ram for the kernel, and this size varies depends on the size of the kernel. In a way you are wasting RAM, but if you think about it, you get the access to a full virtualization that you can run anything on it and not worry about limitations. For example, I can sshfs from another VM and use the storage on the KVM without issues, but with OVZ you will need fuse support from the provider and you might not get it depends on the provider rules.

And back to ram, it's just a storage server, not meant for anything resource intensive. So with 256MB of ram, kernel uses 40MB at most, if you throw openvpn on it that another 20mb, and if you install a LEMP stack, that's 150MB at most depends on what you host. So it's really enough for most tasks. And like @Radi said, he can manually increase the RAM to 512MB, so everything should be fine.

• If you are OK with being limited to 100mbit and iolimit 100MB/s I can do this for $15 yearly in chicago or canada.

512mb ram
    1 core
    101gb disk
    1tb bw

This would be OVH's Canada location, I'm not sure if it's close enough.

• @TheOnlyDK said:
    Brad Radi

Who doesn't love kernel panics? :)

• @linuxthefish said:
    If you are OK with being limited to 100mbit and iolimit 100MB/s I can do this for $15 yearly in chicago or canada.

512mb ram
    1 core
    101gb disk
    1tb bw

This would be OVH's Canada location, I'm not sure if it's close enough.

OVH Canada is about 100ms from Vancouver, OP wanted something in the West and prefer Vancouver or Seattle over LA (which is about 40ms).

• bersybersy Member

TheOnlyDK said: OVH Canada is about 100ms from Vancouver, OP wanted something in the West and prefer Vancouver or Seattle over LA (which is about 40ms).

He's going to have to forget any preferences considering his budget.