Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated Server With one-time fee IP address
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated Server With one-time fee IP address

I am looking for a Dedicated Server located in USA with charge a one-time fee for the IP block (like OVH).
Let me know if you know any Server provider other than OVH.

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

It's only a matter of time until any provider that currently offers that begins to charge you a monthly fee.

If this is anything production I wouldn't recommend doing it

• MadMad Member

That would be interesting but as far as I know there are no other providers who charge a one-time fee for the IP block, except OVH.

• Ovh will most likely start monthly fee for ip's

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

You know OVH already started to charge for "free" IP addresses in the past, right?

No one is going to maintain this, given how prices will change over the next years.

Thanked by 2Francisco GCat
  • Good luck, It won't happen OVH will go back to charging shortly.

MSPNick said: OVH will go back to charging shortly.

Shortly? I doubt it. They are buying tons of IP space and being smart on not waiting, so they'll have spares for a while.

• MadMad Member

@MSPNick said:
    Good luck, It won't happen OVH will go back to charging shortly.

I do not think it. They will continue to keep this business model and charge for setup fee only.

• IP Adresses are not that expensive so if the provider factors a small fee in the price they would give you the IPs free of charge.

• @andreamada said:

I'd consider that OVH's main business is in the ARIN region, ARIN are out of IP's.

Unless they're going to go buy some IP's on the market (which I wouldn't put it past them if they do) then they're going to start charging for IP's shortly.

• bacloudbacloud Member, Patron Provider

Sorry, no other providers to offer IP's with one time fee. Just wait till the IPv6 becomes more popular than a IPv4 ones :)

• FuslFusl Member

andreamada said: I do not think it. They will continue to keep this business model and charge for setup fee only.

This happened twice before already and will happen again. It's not a question IF, just a question when.
    If this would be permanent OVH would not be so vary to change their ToS to reflect it as requested by a few already, 100% the same as the last time.

• Do you think OVH will start charging a monthly fees for already paid IPs ? Because many people -well, like me- will have a bad surprise on their next invoice...

FredQc said: Do you think OVH will start charging a monthly fees for already paid IPs ?

Yes, they will.

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

FredQc said: Do you think OVH will start charging a monthly fees for already paid IPs ? Because many people -well, like me- will have a bad surprise on their next invoice...

They did it once, whats to stop them from doing it again?

• VyprNetworksVyprNetworks Member
    edited April 2016

I'm not going to speak on what OVH will or won't do but I doubt any provider here has the IP depth so sustain a service of such magnitude. The ips they do have would be drained so fast it would be impossible, I'm quite supersized OVH is still doing it I guess that's what separates them from us. Sometimes I wonder how many ips OVH still has left.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@Nyr said:
    Yes, they will.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

OVH was pulling about a /16 every month or so from ARIN and then suddenly hit a brick wall, i'm assuming ARIN wasn't overly happy with their justification or their usage.

They have money to buy IP space but a clean /16 is going to run them half a million. That $3/one time fee only goes so far and requires being resold a few times before it covers the cost.

I'm not sure how many ASN's they operate, but their primary one has 1.5M addresses in it. While that's a ton, OVH also has 100's of thousands of servers and with the roll out of all these new locations they have to feed them somehow.

I recommend anyone currently at OVH to not tie your business model around the $3/one time pricing. You should be charging a monthly rate to clients for it just because when OVH changes prices (they will, don't be dumb), your customers won't be in a sudden shock and annoyed that you flip-flopped.

There was the time minivps was at OVH and they had to pull out because they were getting space for a one time fee as well, then suddenly it turned into 1EUR/month+ per address and that was simply not sustainable anymore.

Francisco

Thanked by 1GCat
  • rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Francisco said: 1EUR/month+ per address

1EUR isn't as bad as those who got charged $3 per month per IP, when it was all free/part of a setup fee :)

• 4n0nx4n0nx Member

OVH has been switching from one-time fee to rental and back the whole time. At least that's what it felt like to me.

@rsk said:
    1EUR isn't as bad as those who got charged $3 per month per IP, when it was all free/part of a setup fee :)

Christ, even worse.

I couldn't remember the full price but I knew it was at least a buck each, up from free/one time.

Francisco

Thanked by 2GCat rsk
  • MadMad Member
    edited April 2016

FYI OVH added a new /16 IPv4 Block (RIPE)

65536 additional IPs are going to be released : http://travaux.ovh.net/?do=details&id=17575

• @Francisco said:

I recommend anyone currently at OVH to not tie your business model around the $3/one time pricing. You should be charging a monthly rate to clients for it just because when OVH changes prices (they will, don't be dumb), your customers won't be in a sudden shock and annoyed that you flip-flopped.

This. It will break a lot of children's hearts.

@andreamada said:
    FYI OVH added a new /16 IPv4 Block (RIPE)

65536 additional IPs are going to be released : http://travaux.ovh.net/?do=details&id=17575

Yes but they have a lot of current customers and they want to open multiple new locations, that /16 won't last very long if they carry the same one-off pricing to their new territories.

Francisco

• I just noticed that OVH has like 12 /16 allocations. That's almost more than my ISP (http://bgp.he.net/AS577#_prefixes) :d