Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

offloaded mysql
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

offloaded mysql

prae5prae5 Member
edited February 2013 in General

Is there anyone other that buyvm that offers offloaded mysql?

If not anyone have a buyvm plan they would like to sell.....

Ideally in NY and 512mb......

thanks all!

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Just ticket.

I'm not sure why we removed NY stock, I'm guessing Aldryic did it just to make his life a little easier during the whole LAS crap.

Thanks for the interst,

Francisco

• They do not load stock on weekends I believe, but should load it again on Monday. Maybe ticket sales and see if they have a spare one for you.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Prometeus does, but we are in Italy.

• prae5prae5 Member
    edited February 2013

@Maounique

Italy isn't a huge issue. Have equal US and EU customers - so one is always disadvantaged.

iirc Prometeus only allow 2GB db?

My db is currently 4.5Gb, I'm going to do some trimming - but even then I think it might be in the region of 1-2Gb.

Going to have a look and see how much I can dump, but 2Gb could be an issue.

Well, the standard plan is 2 GB. We can make a larger one if you can keep connections below 100.

• prae5prae5 Member
    edited February 2013

I'd need to do some monitoring on the current server. That being said there shouldn't ever be 100 concurrent connections.

I think at its busiest time, I've see about a new post every 5-10 seconds. Load is sporadic throughout the day - but never really gets hammered too much. Site doesn't see a huge amount of traffic - maybe 250-500Mb a day.

I'm going to trim the db as a lot of the older records can get trimmed I've decided.

For reference site it http://www.xbmclogs.com and is used as part of an addon for http://xbmc.org

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

Small SSD VPS will do the same thing if you want absolute control.

• Don't use offloaded MySQL. Setup two lebs in master master so you have redundancy.

• @RobertClarke said: Small SSD VPS will do the same thing if you want absolute control.

That was my first thought, however I'm not 100% sure. A little background....

Site is currently hosted with webfaction on what in essence is shared hosting. I got an email today from them saying the site was causing them excessive load on the server and had to be disabled.

I have connected to the server and I think there are serval factors at play.

With my site disabled, I connected to the server to have a look and with my site disabled its running a load of 6-8 and iowaits 10-20ish % (with higher spikes). So the server is somewhat loaded.

With my site enabled, it was hitting loads of 20!

After adding a couple of extra indexes to the tables and re-enabling the site, its fixed the excessive load it was causing (my bad, however i didn't realise and i didn't have any real way of monitoring mysql - still no excuse i should have known).

Still the server is still sitting at a load of 6-8 and still has 20ish % wait states, so really I need to look at moving it anyway given the server is overloaded.

I can't decide what is best in terms of site performance - offloaded mysql or ssd based vps...

Some quick calcs, assuming 300Mb of traffic a day, lets say only 75Mb is written to the db so thats about about 2.3Gb per month. I need to check but i think default behaviour is to purge after 30 days unless post is to be kepts for ever.

I think I will probably change it to only allow posts to be kept for max of 45 days before purging. So that will reduce db size, however not significantly.

So ssd based vps with its own sql, or non ssd + offloaded sql.....

Anyone have thoughts?

• @bdtech said: Setup two lebs in master master so you have redundancy.

Also make sure they're at separate host nodes ;)

• Looking at site stats, its seeing about 20k visits a month (12-14k unique). So its not really a high traffic site. Likewise if fairly simple - nothing overly complex about it it.

@Maounique @Francisco - any opinions?

edited February 2013

I agree you should not use offloaded services for the DB.
    Get a SSD LEB with some top host here and you will have full control over mysql release, configuration, etc.
    If there is a lot of load you will hear from the host, if you block the mysql server due to bad indexing or something, it will be much worse.
    So, at least for a start, get a SSD LEB with some memory for caching and should do just fine.
    Our VZSSD7 plan is probably the best from our offer. There are many SSD offers that should do fine.

• Might give SSD a try first and see how that goes, I have another prometeus ssd vps - so the discount makes it worth a try.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@prae5 said: Looking at site stats, its seeing about 20k visits a month (12-14k unique). So its not really a high traffic site. Likewise if fairly simple - nothing overly complex about it it.

@Maounique @Francisco - any opinions?

That's nothing.

We got lots of people that throw a lot of crap at our SQL w/o issue, far more than 20k/m.

Francisco

• I think the issue is more the fact the node is already oversold. Admittedly i should have had an extra index or two - but i honestly wouldn't have expected it to cause the kind of loads it was.

I'll give the SSD option a try first - then if not go the offloaded route.

• use the 1gb ram ovz ssd of prometeus less tha $7 per month

He could probably do with less, but that should suffice for sure.