Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What to do with a 16x2TB Server in Singapore?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What to do with a 16x2TB Server in Singapore?

KenshinKenshin Member
edited February 2013 in General

Just reduced our mirror server's outlay, so got a spare storage server to play with. Have considered offering IPv6 only KVM storage VPS (salutes BuyVM) since I have free IPv6 transit from HE, but seems to be pretty technical to setup pure IPv6 on the guests so not sure if there's going to be significant interest. Bandwidth as you all know is ridiculously expensive in Asia, so even doing stuff like 1TB bandwidth is going to cost quite a bit (assuming IPv4).

Care to share ideas what else can I do with this server? Currently configured as hardware RAID50 28TB usable.

Comments

• I would have a whirl with v6. First time I seen this thread I thought all that storage is useless in Asia. ;P

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited February 2013

I think IPv6 for your users is the way.
    I am not sure what you mean about being technical to setup ipv6 only ? For the end user ?
    If for you, KVM or Xen can be done so the MAC will automatically get one from the router. Even OVZ can have veth interfaces with MAC.

@Jacob said: I thought all that storage is useless in Asia.

With so expensive traffic it is, ppl would rather go BuyVM.

• I don't think IPv6-only VPSs are a good idea because probably not many people will use them. Something more productive would be setting up free backup space for your customers or so

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@gsrdgrdghd said: I don't think IPv6-only VPSs are a good idea because probably not many people will use them.

I was just wondering about that...for your run-of-the-mill VPS, no. But for a backup-only VPS, perhaps. Do you really need ipv4 for your VPSes to connect to a backup VPS? Perhaps by not providing ipv4, backup VPSes could be cheaper.

• @Jacob said: I would have a whirl with v6. First time I seen this thread I thought all that storage is useless in Asia. ;P

I'll approach HE's free IPv6 transit cautiously, probably stick to monthly basis in case they decide "I'm IPv6 king, time to pull all the free tunneling and transit". But effectively I should be able to safely do 100M now and 1G later. Interestingly, I can get OVH routes via IPv6 peering in SG so IPv6 to OVH is faster than IPv4.

@Maounique said: I am not sure what you mean about being technical to setup ipv6 only ? For the end user ?

If for you, KVM or Xen can be done so the MAC will automatically get one from the router. Even OVZ can have veth interfaces with MAC.

End user yes. I planned to do KVM since I think encryption is something that will be a concern for backup use. SolusVM doesn't do DHCPv6 out of the box, need to identify IPv6 mirrors for OS updates. My initial idea was that most people would want to backup their servers, which most likely already has IPv6. But looking at it again now, there's very limited IPv6 in Asia unless you rely on HE's tunnel, which also translates to lack of IPv6 servers as well.

@gsrdgrdghd said: I don't think IPv6-only VPSs are a good idea because probably not many people will use them. Something more productive would be setting up free backup space for your customers or so

Hmm, might consider this but the amount of data my existing customers use is quite low, nowhere near 28TB so I'm looking at maximizing the use.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

Allow BGP peering :)

• @gbshouse said: Allow BGP peering :)

Sure, you have my colocation prices. BGP fees included. :)

@Kenshin - maybe in the future when we add new services. For just the DNS the TCO is too high

• @gbshouse said: @Kenshin - maybe in the future when we add new services. For just the DNS the TCO is too high

Not surprised, that's the real costs of hosting in Singapore. :)

edited February 2013

Anyway, the idea "CDN VPS": allow BGP peering/session support for this single server, offer only >= 512MB VMs with starting price of 20USD (I know that's not in the LEB/LET price range :)) plus X USD (calculate by your own) for each 50-100GB HDD, add asymmetric bandwidth like 20GB in 100GB out (1:4 - 1:5 ratio) plus Y USD for each additional 100GB out. You have pretty good connectivity and I'm sure that there will be a lot of interest. Take a look on HostVirtual offer in Hong Kong and maybe offer similar parameters

• Hella big seedbox, I say

• Start a file locker ;)

You know you want to :P

• I'd be interested in file sharing or a CDN set up with other providers in this case :)

• MelitaMelita Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2013
    • I'm curious of using dd to generate blank 28TB files to see if the filesystem can handle it, then download it to your home computer (assuming your home also have 28TB) to see if apache / ftpd can handle that filesize :D

• https://mega.co.nz/#hosting (don't know if it's a good idea though, but this one can have $_$ ) :D

• make public yum repo :p

• become sourceforge mirror :v

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Just go ahead and ship it on over to me. I'll dispose of it for you.

• MelitaMelita Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2013

• I'll like to see KVM services from OAH. I'd load up Windows Server OS to host a few apps to serve the Asia region; nothing too bandwidth intensive so it should be fine.

• PatsPats Member
    edited February 2013

@jarland ur disposing idea is great, but no ship free. @kenshin managed to get a good boat with 2 oars. Can you come over and ... :P

How abt putting up cloud storage service boxsg :)

• Hey yo kenshin, sorry offtopic.
    But do you own oneasiahost?

• @texteditor said: Hella big seedbox, I say

Doesn't make money unless I sell to people who are willing to pay, copyright laws in SG are a pain, anime licensing company threathened to sue for torrenting licensed anime. Most were settled out of court but it shows they're willing to take action and ISPs are willing to reveal with a court order.

@Boltersdriveer said: I'd be interested in file sharing or a CDN set up with other providers in this case :)

Use OnApp's CDN, we have a node in Singapore. Ping me separately if you need this.

@Melita said: make public yum repo :p

become sourceforge mirror :v

Both don't make money, :)

@torsurfer said: I'll like to see KVM services from OAH. I'd load up Windows Server OS to host a few apps to serve the Asia region; nothing too bandwidth intensive so it should be fine.

OAH already has KVM services available. Recently doubled harddisk space too.

@Pats said: How abt putting up cloud storage service boxsg :)

Possible but OAH doesn't do managed stuff, so cloud storage seems a bit troublesome I might as well just sell it as KVM.

@Simple3x said: Hey yo kenshin, sorry offtopic.

But do you own oneasiahost?

Yes I own OneAsiaHost.

• @Kenshin i love your wht ad thread lol, its creative.

• @Simple3x said: @Kenshin i love your wht ad thread lol, its creative.

That's not me, @Xima :)