Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH Game DDOS Demand
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH Game DDOS Demand

Hey LET,

Looking to maybe broaden our offering outside of our core Storage/Plex servers, currently have some small other plan's which do well on LET, however wanted to see if there is much demand for VPS's on OVH Game's servers/Game DDOS protection. If so what kind of plan's people would be looking for, obviously in the LET price range!

Cheers

Mods if this is better off in the Off-Topic please move there!

Comments

• could be useful but would need to run windows

• @TarZZ92 said:
    could be useful but would need to run windows

Missed off the first post, forgot to say would be KVM.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited April 2016

Works great for game servers and Teamspeak, it's something I've done for a while on it.. :)

Edit: Downside is obviously the disk space-RAM ratio if you're using it for VMs.

Thanked by 1AshleyUk
  • linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited April 2016

Buy the cheapest game server, max it out to 256 IP's, transfer the IP's to your other servers and cancel the game server.

You can still edit and add game anti ddos rules to those IP's and use them on non crappy servers!

EDIT: Just checked and my IP's have all been changed to non-game IP's, but they used to be even after I cancelled the server

• @linuxthefish said:
    Buy the cheapest game server, max it out to 256 IP's, transfer the IP's to your other servers and cancel the game server.

You can still edit and add game anti ddos rules to those IP's and use them on non crappy servers!

This is interesting, sure this is possible? Might be a bug or something ^_^

• @Clouduru said:
    This is interesting, sure this is possible? Might be a bug or something ^_^

Nope just checked looks like they fixed it now :(

• Was going to say, I'm sure they would soon fix something costing them $$

• GamerGamer Member

Would definitely be interested in ovh ( Canada ) game protected vps running windows.. 1-2 core, 1-2 GB ram, 10-25 GB SSD... $7-15 a month

• pailypaily Member

Would be interested too, if it will be hosted in france. Would use it for teamspeak only.

• @Gamer said:
    Would definitely be interested in ovh ( Canada ) game protected vps running windows.. 1-2 core, 1-2 GB ram, 10-25 GB SSD... $7-15 a month

@paily said:
    Would be interested too, if it will be hosted in france. Would use it for teamspeak only.

Just out of curiosity, did you try the normal OVH virtual servers? Without the game DDoS protection. How did that work?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran
    edited April 2016

But, does it make any difference? Someone should get a Kimsufi, SoYouStart, normal OVH and a Game DDOS OVH.

Put a Gameserver on it, DDOS it. Messure it. GG.

• @Neoon said:
    But, does it make any difference? Someone should get a Kimsufi, SoYouStart, normal OVH and a Game DDOS OVH.

Put a Gameserver on it, DDOS it. Messure it. GG.

A few months ago we ran a pilot with our game/voice server customers, there difference was nihil. They didn't really notice the difference, so it wasn't a good idea to invest in the Game DDoS protected servers.

@Clouduru said:

So I guess, OVH detect it automatic which type of application it may be and its just marketing to sell it for higher prices?

• AshleyUkAshleyUk Member
    edited April 2016

@Neoon said:
    So I guess, OVH detect it automatic which type of application it may be and its just marketing to sell it for higher prices?

The Game DDOS you can specify which application / game is running off the IP.

It creates rules and DDOS filtering which does not effect the packages required by that application, for example dropping certain UDP.

https://www.ovh.co.uk/anti-ddos/anti-ddos-game.xml

edited April 2016

Well, lets put it to the Test. OVH Talks much.

Since they have DPI, they can easy check if thats a Package for a Gameserver related Service and apply the filter automatically.

• @Neoon said:
    Since they have DPI, they can easy check if thats a Package for a Gameserver related Service and apply the filter automatically.

I know I am yet to test it, but was looking to see what interest there may be.

• oalarooalaro Member
    edited April 2016
    OVH / OVH GAME: The Normal OVH is shity. **The OVH Game Server protection is like a stone wall** if you dont got some Private Script close to no way to down it.

OVH (FR/CA): High Volume Filtering (480Gbps+), Long time for adjusting filters, cheap, a lot of bypass attacks, heavy packet loss under ddos (because of aggressive filtering of ts3init1 method), sensor and always-on filter

OVH GAME (FR/CA): High Volume Filtering (480Gbps+), Long time for adjusting filters, cheap, **no packet loss under ddos**, always-on filter

Remember that these 2 are reviews from scrip kiddies who try to DDoS anything what they can. This is teamspeak specific.

I'd suggest you make a teamspeak only vps deal since is see people looking for that in EU

1vCPU

512mb RAM

30Mbits unlimited/able to burst to 100Mbits

5G Storage

This would be prefect for Teamspeak hosting even for someone with ~500 users and that's the maximum you should see. These are my server graphs with ~400 users at peak times http://i.imgur.com/jNGh2nM.png . Only thing you should consider is that some people want to install musicbots(stream radio to server) on their VPS too and that's a bit CPU heavy.

• HackcraftHackcraft Member
    edited April 2016

I am looking for something with these specs for hosting two Garry's Mod servers (20, 6 slots)

1 vCore or Dedicated Core

768MB RAM

15GB Storage

DDoS protected - would love OVH Game

Ubuntu 15 32bit

Europe

Want to pay $5/month

@Hackcraft said:
    I am looking for something with these specs for hosting two Garry's Mod servers (20, 6 slots)

1 vCore or Dedicated Core

768MB RAM

15GB Storage

DDoS protected - would love OVH Game

Want to pay $5/month

If you want it in BHS I could 1GB/30GB for that.

• Could you use the vrack between servers to use game IP's on a non game server?

• @linuxthefish said:
    Could you use the vrack between servers to use game IP's on a non game server?

They dont include VRack with the game servers, probably for that very reason :(

Thanked by 1linuxthefish

@AshleyUk said:

You can setup vrack for the game servers, I have it for a few ranges on mine but just don't have it in use currently.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @EVM_Mike said:
    You can setup vrack for the game servers, I have it for a few ranges on mine but just don't have it in use currently.

I have other OVH Server ranges setup, just on their Game page says does not incluce. I havent yet tested just what i read.

@AshleyUk said:
    I have other OVH Server ranges setup, just on their Game page says does not incluce. I havent yet tested just what i read.

no clue, I made it for a a game system I've had for months.

• @EVM_Mike said:
    If you want it in BHS I could 1GB/30GB for that.

I'm interested on this. Any more info about the offer? (send it via private message maybe)