Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Transatlantic speeds?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Transatlantic speeds?

dragon2611dragon2611 Member
edited April 2016 in General

Just wondering what sort of speeds most people would expect between the UK > USA on low end providers.

I seem to be getting between 10 - 40Mbit between a machine in colocker and one in dacentec.

Route looks to be via Level3

Wondering if this is typical or if someone's running their transit hot.

Times will be in GMT.

Edit:
The shorter intial transfer was me SCPing a smaller VM across, the longer sustained transfer is Syncthing syncing some VM dumps to the Dacentec server.

Comments

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

It will highly depend on the network. No idea about Colocker, but you shouldn't expect much from Dacentec.

But I see you're getting 40 MB/s, not mbps? If so, that's reasonable. Open multiple threads if you need more.

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Id say 20 - 60mb/s would be expected (assuming gbit, otherwise ~12mb/s, capped at 100mbps).

Ive done a bit of transferring transatlantic (usually ~20GB disk images) and thats normally what we see (depending on time, and network providers at both ends).

• @Nyr said:
    It will highly depend on the network. No idea about Colocker, but you shouldn't expect much from Dacentec.

But I see you're getting 40 MB/s, not mbps? If so, that's reasonable. Open multiple threads if you need more.

It's 40Mb/s as that's an interface graph, I could see why that would be confusing as it's not explicitly stated.

Not that I'm overly bothered given the distance and the price I'm paying them both.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

From OVH BHS in Canada to a Kidechire (Online.net DC3 in Paris):

# wget -O /dev/null http://bhs.proof.ovh.net/files/1Gio.dat -4
    --2016-04-04 10:39:56--  http://bhs.proof.ovh.net/files/1Gio.dat
    Resolving bhs.proof.ovh.net (bhs.proof.ovh.net)... 192.99.19.165
    Connecting to bhs.proof.ovh.net (bhs.proof.ovh.net)|192.99.19.165|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 1073741824 (1.0G) [application/x-ns-proxy-autoconfig]
    Saving to: ‘/dev/null’

/dev/null                          100%[================================================================>]   1.00G  32.6MB/s   in 40s    

2016-04-04 10:40:37 (25.3 MB/s) - ‘/dev/null’ saved [1073741824/1073741824]

So 260 Mbit max, 200 Mbit average

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited April 2016

CC NY > (Clouvider) London: 26.5M/s
    ramnode NY > clouvider London: 32.3 MB/s

From the freevps bench script to clouvider London:

Atlanta, GA, US         Coloat          14.5MB/s
    Dallas, TX, US          Softlayer       13.7MB/s
    Seattle, WA, US         Softlayer       10.9MB/s
    San Jose, CA, US        Softlayer       11.3MB/s
    Washington, DC, US      Softlayer       20.4MB/s
  • If you need to move massive files around often, consider using specialized tools like WDT. Facebook claims to reach near theoretical link speeds.

• @rincewind said:
    If you need to move massive files around often, consider using specialized tools like WDT. Facebook claims to reach near theoretical link speeds.

Now that does look interesting, thanks might have to have a play sometime.

• pat07pat07 Member

40 MB/s sounds about right, 40 Mbps would definitely be quite low. I never knew about WDT either, thanks for that link also! Will have to look into it for large backups and other data transfers.