Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

China questions VPNs, mobile data
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

China questions VPNs, mobile data

hicohico Member

I go back to China on FRI. Last time in 2014 a lot had changed since my visit in 2012, even business sites such as Bloomberg were hard to access.

VPNs:
I have softether on a HK server, PPTP on DO Singapore -- should those work? If not then what is best free of pay VPN service? I found that blocked sites were not uniform in that in Xian I could check gmail but in Shanghai I had issues, etc.
We will be in Shanghai, Beijing, Yiwu, and Guangzhou.

And I have a mobile router, what is the best provider and data plan to buy? I guess two choices in terms of providers? Any other suggestions?

Comments

• i find best is to just use RDP in Hong Kong(or whatever destination you will have best ping with). encrypted connection such as ss may get throttled, and softether is hit and miss(mostly miss).

• PPTP depends on what area you are in.
    I suggest shadowsocks, it is stable to my experience.

• PPTP is no longer stable. Highly recommand shadowsocks.

P.S.: if you are using Chrome or FireFox, I highly recommand a plugin called "HTTPS Everywhere".

For mobile router, depends on your province. In my province (Hebei), China Unicom's data plan is very nice......