Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High Useage cPanel Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

High Useage cPanel Server

CasterCaster Member

So i have got two choices :
1. A lot of cores (32) @2.6Ghz Old processor
V/s
2. 4 Core @3.1GHz New Xeon E5 Processor

The cPanel server will run a lot of CPU sensitive scripts and i have seen each going >80% on 1 core.

So which one is the best in this time ? Cores v/s Performance per core ?

Comments

• I guess it would depend on what scripts you're running. I've for instance run EasyApache compilation with dual X5650 and E5, the latter completed in record time. Newer processors work much better with complex multi cycle instruction sets

• I've never needed a lot of cores, so go for the newer E5. Make sure you have enough RAM to make use of MySQL and PHP caching on whatever you are running.

• @linuxthefish said:
    I've never needed a lot of cores, so go for the newer E5. Make sure you have enough RAM to make use of MySQL and PHP caching on whatever you are running.

thanks. yeah will use varnish and memcache but on the OVH Xeon E5-1620 model . It was already going up 80-90% CPU. the users runs lots of CPU sensitvie scripts and get concurrent connection about 10-20K at once.

• @Caster said:
    thanks. yeah will use varnish and memcache but on the OVH Xeon E5-1620 model . It was already going up 80-90% CPU. the users runs lots of CPU sensitvie scripts and get concurrent connection about 10-20K at once.

litespeed , LSAPI

Thats the solution

• Caster said: OVH Xeon E5-1620 model

If you can up your budget an E3-1231v3 or E5-1630v3 from https://www.ovh.co.uk/dedicated_servers/infra/ will be much better.

But if you are having CPU issues on a E5-1620 you seriously need to re-think what you are running, I've always run my cPanel nodes on stuff like L5520 and old Xeon's with no problems.

• @linuxthefish said:
    But if you are having CPU issues on a E5-1620 you seriously need to re-think what you are running, I've always run my cPanel nodes on stuff like L5520 and old Xeon's with no problems.

Hmm thanks !
    Well I am considering the Enterprise 128 with cloudlinux and litespeed which should be able to do the job perfectly.

Will host like 20 websites which will get up to 10k connection each. Is there anything I should add on my list ?