Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has anyone tried RAID100?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Has anyone tried RAID100?

concerto49concerto49 Member
edited February 2013 in General

As in 2 RAID10 arrays in RAID0. You will need at least 8 drives. If so how's the performance? Just curious.

Comments

Sexy.

• Why? Won't this just be like putting the discs into a bigger raid 10 array?

• lol

• edited February 2013

Plaid RAID can be good for large database servers. I think that I'd probably stay with RAID 10 for Web servers though.

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited February 2013

@Zigga said: Why? Won't this just be like putting the discs into a bigger raid 10 array?

• AndreAndre Member
    edited February 2013

@concerto49 said: 2 RAID10 arrays in RAID0

How about four RAID10 arrays in RAID10?
    16 disk minimum (:

• t3k9t3k9 Member
    edited February 2013

@concerto40 said: No. e.g. 8 drives in RAID10 is possibly slower than 4 drives in RAID10. More drives just get added to the mirror. It's a 4 drives RAID1 in RAID0 in this case.

No I think he means RAID10 with 4 RAID1 mirrors which would be faster than 4 drive RAID10 of 2 RAID1 mirrors. You stripe over 4 sets of drives instead of 2.

Performance of 8 drive RAID10 vs 4 drive RAID10:
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=584809

• concerto49concerto49 Member
    edited February 2013

@t3k9 said: No I think he means RAID10 with 4 RAID1 mirrors which would be faster than 4 drive RAID10 of 2 RAID1 mirrors. You stripe over 4 sets of drives instead of 2.

Ah yes true that. Got slightly confused with the ordering. Stand corrected. I've seen 6 drives in RAID10 being slower than 4 drives in RAID10 but.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Yep I have played with Raid 100, 2 x HW Raid 10 arrays (6 disk per array) in mdadm raid 0, close to 1GB p/sec sequential.

Not sure I would trust mixed raid for production though, if I was going to do this for anything but fun it would be a full mdadm set up, a controller that supports raid 100 is as rare as rocking horse shit and twice as expensive.

• @AnthonySmith said: Yep I have played with Raid 100, 2 x HW Raid 10 arrays (6 disk per array) in mdadm raid 0, close to 1GB p/sec sequential.

Sounds fun. Don't have a spare server with that spec to play with right now, otherwise would give it a try too.

It worked right? Not compatibility issues. Was it simply a test?

• @Andre said: How about four RAID10 arrays in RAID10?

RAID 1010?

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited February 2013

@t3k9 said: Performance of 8 drive RAID10 vs 4 drive RAID10:

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=584809

Pretty much linear as stated in WHT thread, more spindles = better performance. Tried it myself with 8x 60GB SSD raid 10 + LSI 9260-8i

• RAID´s everywhere...