Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ChicagoVPS IP change to Blacklisted IP + Poor support - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ChicagoVPS IP change to Blacklisted IP + Poor support

2»

Comments

• After posting this ChicagoVPS came through. The problems were fixed and communication improved.

I am paying for an unsupported VPS so I don't expect ChicagoVPS or any vendor to jump through hoops to fix my server, except when they create the problem. While I would have preferred more pro-active responses, in the end the server is up and working as expected.

I am a happy customer.

• paulzagpaulzag Member
    edited April 2016

@Ernie said:
    I just wanted to touch on this a bit. We are consolidating IP space at CVPS to elimate waste. I do regret any inconvenience to customers who were adversely effected. I invite any customer effected that is down or has a issue to PM me their ticket ID and I will personally look into it.

Thanks for looking into it. I'm happy now

• smansman Member
    edited April 2016

@grimsdottir said:
    Not too happy with this sham of an outfit either.

I'm an American living abroad and tried to sign up with them for a cheapy IRC box.

I used my American info, paid with PayPal, and I get flagged for fraud due to the fact that my sign up IP address didn't match the country my info was in. In this multinational world this has to be expected. I mean, I could have easily used a VPN to get around this and they wouldn't have been the wiser.

Filed a ticket, support guys demanded that I send them my credit card info and a scan of my photo ID. Are you fucking kidding me? I declined as I had already provided them with sufficient valid information and a legitimate form of payment that they could have easily accepted... They wouldn't fulfill my order.

I had a similar situation with HostHatch however their support team fixed the issue immediately and I now have a small 256mb with them for IRC.

Sorry ChicagoVPS, you snooze, you lose...

Are you in Europe by any chance? I can give you the other side of this. We get a lot of Europeans trying to sign up with US addresses or using US proxies to try avoid having to pay VAT. One of the wonderful side effects of this stupid law where the onus is basically on hosting providers to try police it.

Anyways, regardless of where you are I know there are a lot of practical reasons for them to want to do that. Being an elcheapo outfit they no doubt get more than their fair share of scammers up to who knows what. When you are on the provider side you see so much of it that you start to recognize the patterns and can pretty much tell when something doesn't quite smell right. It's not 100% reliable though so sometimes we get it wrong.

• Thank you for the note, @sman - My main concern here is that the support guy at CVPS was kind of a douche about it when I opened a ticket. HostHatch flagged me for the same thing and a simple support ticket asking them to remove the flag was all it took to get the box pinging. CVPS demanded some very personal information from me including a scan of my photo ID and my credit card information. After hearing about the database breaches I'm glad I didn't send them anything.

I do understand the need for fraud monitoring though. I'm sure these very low end providers are flooded with spammers, brute force bots, piracy hosting, etc etc. I just think that for a legitimate customer there could be a better level of professionalism present at that company. I did purchase a cheap cheap box off them though so I suppose to get better service I should pay more :)

Cheers mate!

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@grimsdottir Fraud is a major, major problem in the hosting industry. More than half the signups at ChicagoVPS are not legitimate for example. I regret that you were caught in the net that is our fraud filter. If you PM me your email I'll make sure your order gets filled should you wish to purchase from ChicagoVPS in the future.

Either way happy shopping.

• @paulzag said:
    After posting this ChicagoVPS came through. The problems were fixed and communication improved.

Great for you, although it shouldn't have taken a thread to get them to do the right thing. Just think how many customers have been moved to these sullied IP's (gotta give the clean IP's to the high paying rosko clients as they get moved from subnet to subnet as reflected on the recurring escalations). They are running into the same brick wall you did trying to get back to clean IP's. Obviously colocrossing is hoping they won't notice and can reply with the "oh sorry, we sent notice out, maybe went to spam (ironic isn't it?)".

• @jbiloh said:
    grimsdottir Fraud is a major, major problem in the hosting industry. More than half the signups at ChicagoVPS are not legitimate for example. I regret that you were caught in the net that is our fraud filter. If you PM me your email I'll make sure your order gets filled should you wish to purchase from ChicagoVPS in the future.

Either way happy shopping.

Thats what happens when you market to the segment cvps has targetted for years. The fact you still employ the person responsible for the history and state of CVPS leaves little room for apologies or assurances things will be better, especially since you are now moving customers onto known blacklisted ip's. Or maybe the fact you are enabling Johnny boy's continued spam fest v3.0. When you delve in those markets, you pay the price in reputation and trust.

• smansman Member

This thread is the poster child for why I stay away from the low end market. Low end customers tend to expect more and complain more and churn more. Just not worth it. At least not for me.

• AmitzAmitz Member

sman said: This thread is the poster child for why I stay away from the low end market. Low end customers tend to expect more and complain more and churn more. Just not worth it. At least not for me.

Yeah. Pure Basement.