Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bitkumo - $5 1GB VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Bitkumo - $5 1GB VPS

Bitkumo is cloud hosting specifically for systems administrators, devops
engineers and developers. We cut the cost of our virtual machines by removing the
standard support offering while passing those savings on to you. Why pay for
support you don't need?

We recently announced the Bitkumo $5 1GB VPS, we thought this would be a good fit
for the LowEndTalk community.

The $5 1GB VPS costs $5 per month and includes:

• 1 GB of RAM
  • 35 GB of SSD Storage
  • 1 vCPU
  • 1 IPv4 Address
  • 1 TB of transfer

This machine can be purchased directly here.

Our platform includes all of the standard things you would expect including a
control panel to manage your machine, NoVNC console on the website for initial
configuration and network oops, and a variety of prebuilt templates and standard
ISO's.

You can read more about Bitkumo and our plans at bitkumo.com (or bitkumo.com/pricing for plans specifically).

Please let me know if you have any questions!

Thanked by 1pandabb

Comments

• Is it me, or it costs more than triple the price for a 2GB VPS? (assuming $5/GB)

Thanked by 1GCat
  • @FlamesRunner said:
    Is it me, or it costs more than triple the price for a 2GB VPS? (assuming $5/GB)

Hey! Thanks for the comment. You are absolutely right, the $5 1GB Plan is a special offer since we wanted to provide a low barrier to entry for the plan that our users use the most. Aside from the 1GB plan all of the other plans are charged at roughly $4/512MB

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited April 2016

What makes your service different from Vultr/DigitalOcean/other services?
    They charge much less for their resources; but if you can justify the extra cost, I'd like to hear it.

Didn't read the website, ignore the above.

Anyways, there are other deploy-anytime services that are "cheaper" (dare I say), but anyways, I'd like to know what makes your service stand out.

Thanked by 1bitkumo
  • They charge much less for their resources

That is not true, all of our plans are 20% less than DO, and the 1GB Special Offer plan is a full 50% less.

• Not when you get completely free credits that can be used to off-set the cost ;)

• That is a great point, we are not quite big enough to offer this sort of promotion but hope to have a full fledged referral program in the future. Thanks so much for the feedback!

Thanked by 1FlamesRunner
  • FlamesRunner said: Anyways, there are other deploy-anytime services that are "cheaper" (dare I say), but anyways, I'd like to know what makes your service stand out.

I think that our biggest strengths besides pricing are:

1. Super simple UI
    2. Super fast deployment and provisioning
    3. A small and focused team that truly cares about a high quality of service, transparency, and customer success.

We care more about transparency and "0% nonsense" than saving our image. That is why we log each and every incident in a timely manner on our status page. https://bitkumo.statusy.co/

You will never see an "Unknown Hardware failure but everything is fine now" from us. :)

Bonus points are that we have images for all the most popular distros and ISOs for others like Arch, Gentoo, CoreOS and even BSD. If there is a distro missing that you would like to use we would be more than happy to offer it as well.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Bitkumo is co-founded by a guy I worked with at DO, before he moved on to other things (great things). Good guy, would trust what he puts his name on :)

• @jarland said:
    Bitkumo is co-founded by a guy I worked with at DO, before he moved on to other things (great things). Good guy, would trust what he puts his name on :)

Thanks for the kind words :)

• lbftlbft Member

jarland said: Good guy, would trust what he puts his name on :)

Apparently what he puts his name on is ancient 5420 dedis at HE/Cogent-tastic Datashack with Virtkick stuffed on them... I'm not impressed.

If there's truly "no support" then what sets this apart from every other KVM offer? With that hardware it's not the performance.

Thanked by 1bitkumo
  • bitkumobitkumo Member
    edited April 2016

When we first launched we used Datashack, we quickly found that the performance was not that great. We recently moved to OVH and I think that if you give us a try you will be quite impressed with our service.

Our current specs are:

Intel Xeon D-1520, 64GB of RAM, 4x800GB SSD's in RAID 5

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, our docs are slightly out of date and we are going to update them now!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited April 2016

Doesn't say anywhere what is the location and datacenter where VPSes are offered, or if there are multiple locations to choose from. Not in the OP, not on the website, not even in the FAQ! Seriously you think this is not a relevant piece of information?

Also, "Our virtual machines are virtualized using Libvirt and QEMU." -- you want to say KVM there, just "QEMU" is more commonly associated with software-only virtualization (and hence with being slow).

Thanked by 2vimalware bersy
  • bersybersy Member

bitkumo said: 4x800GB SSD's in RAID 5

Is it based on enterprise grade disks and a good HW cotroller?

• @rm_ said:
    Doesn't say anywhere what is the location and datacenter where VPSes are offered, or if there are multiple locations to choose from. Not in the OP, not on the website, not even in the FAQ! Seriously you think this is not a relevant piece of information?

Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't realize it was omitted from the marketing site. Our servers are in OVH's BHS 5 datacenter (near Montreal, Canada). I'll add this information to the marketing site shortly.

Also, "Our virtual machines are virtualized using Libvirt and QEMU." -- you want to say KVM there, just "QEMU" is more commonly associated with software-only virtualization (and hence with being slow).

Thanks - will get that updated.

Is it based on enterprise grade disks and a good HW cotroller?

Our servers use Intel SSD DC S3500 series SSD's: http://ark.intel.com/products/75685/Intel-SSD-DC-S3500-Series-800GB-2_5in-SATA-6Gbs-20nm-MLC

The RAID controller is a MegaRAID 9271-4i: http://www.avagotech.com/products/server-storage/raid-controllers/megaraid-sas-9271-4i

Thanked by 1bersy
  • asia location please ;)

• @abangnoob said:
    asia location please ;)

Thanks for the suggestion, we will try to expand to an Asian DC as soon as we can!