Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHMCS Reverse Proxy
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WHMCS Reverse Proxy

nepsneps Member

inb4 "Welcome to LowEndHalpDask!" I already submitted a ticket, but I know how much folks here love to help other folks out so I'm betting I'll get an answer here quicker.

If I set up WHMCS behind a reverse proxy, which IP will show up as the my install's IP as far as their license verification system is concerned? The reverse proxy's IP? Or the IP where the WHMCS install actually resides?

Comments

• gianggiang Veteran

WHMCS verify by your domain, not your IP.

• LicensecartLicensecart Member
    edited April 2016

@giang said:
    WHMCS verify by your domain, not your IP.

Shows how much you know... They check the Public IP, Directory it's installed in and the domain.

Try it, move your WHMCS from your folder to another, and try and log in the admin area, does it give you an error?

Don't believe me?

http://docs.whmcs.com/Licensing#Moving_WHMCS

License Invalid

A Licence Invalid error on the admin login page can be caused by one of the following changes:

The license key has been entered incorrectly
    Please ensure the full key is entered, this includes the prefix eg. "Leased-", "Owned-", > "WebHost-" and "Dev-".

The domain being used to access your install has changed

The IP address your install is located on has changed

The directory you are using has changed

Following any changes to the location of your WHMCS installation, the licence must be updated accordingly. Please refer to Moving WHMCS above for instructions on doing so.

Thanked by 1HOSTBD24
  • gianggiang Veteran
    edited April 2016

Licensecart said: Shows how much you know... They check the Public IP, Directory it's installed in and the domain.

I know, but OP got valid license install on his back end server, and serve from a public server.

WHMCS will record domain, IP, directory from the back end server, so he will be fine. WHMCS domain verify will show his domain is valid on WHMCS.

The best example is CloudFlare CDN...

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Well the answer is, you have not really given us enough information to answer you, how is your reverse proxy set up, what is the seperation between the front end and back end, it is NAT, over VPN, dedicated IP, tunnel.

There are so many options for reverse proxying and what is proxied and how you do it affects how the back end communicates with other things and other services.

So maybe give us a little more info about your reverse proxy setup, be as specific as possible and we can probably answer you.

If you say "I used Nginx" and nothing more... I am out.

• FlamesRunnerFlamesRunner Member
    edited April 2016

I've setup a NGINX proxy for WHMCS before - however, you need a backend domain hosting WHMCS anda fronend proxying requests to that server.

MAKE SURE you forward the real IP and configure WHMCS to use it, or services like MaxMind will not work properly.

server {
        listen 80;
        server_name http://frontendhostname;
        client_body_timeout 5s;
        client_header_timeout 5s;
        client_max_body_size 100M;
        client_body_buffer_size 1m;
        proxy_set_header        X-Real-IP       $remote_addr;
        proxy_set_header        X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
        proxy_intercept_errors on;
        proxy_buffering on;
        proxy_buffer_size 128k;