Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Web-based password manager?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Web-based password manager?

nstormnstorm Member
edited February 2013 in General

I'm looking for some open-source password manager with web interface.
Something like KeePass, but which I will be able to install to the one of my VPS and access it anywhere.
Was only able to find this: PHP Password Manager which seems to be in early beta and for weird reasons uses badly outdated & obsolete DES encryption.
Is there are any similar but mature projects?

Comments

• would be interested in this as well.

• Why not just store your KeePass database on your VPS? You can sync it to whatever devices you use regularly, and even make it available over HTTP if you need to since it's encrypted.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

I've been using LastPass for a while, fantastic piece of software.

• nstormnstorm Member
    edited February 2013

@NickM reasons:
    1. Updates/edits. You can't update database easily. Would need to copy it or mount. I've once tried to use webdav via davfs2 to store DB. One network outage while trying to save database resulted a complete loss, because while it tries to update DB over WebDAV it first deletes old file and when writes new. If new file wasn't finished it will result no file at all. Fortunately I've had a backup, but recent changes I was trying to save were lost.
    2. Additional software. I don't want to download KeePass everytime & everywhere I need to access my database. Browser would be enough.
    3. Portability. I want to access it from any device/OS.

@RobertClarke I need my own storage, won't trust it to a 3rd party with no obligations.

• @nstorm, good points. I personally just keep my keepass database on a thumbdrive that I always have with me, along with keepass portable. I guess there's a few situations where that might not work out either though.

• @NickM I'm using the same thing for now. But I thought that having a web-based manager would be more comfortable.
    It doesn't sounds like this is a complicated app to build. Simple LAMP. All encryption routines are already in PHP.

• @t3k9 looks interesting, will check it out. Thanks!

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited February 2013

Keepass in dropbox, and also following me with my mobile devices.

PS: Clipperz can be a good choice too.

• DimeCadmiumDimeCadmium Member
    edited February 2013

@yomero said: Keepass in dropbox, and also following me with my mobile devices.

That. Well, KeepassX. And KeepassDroid on my phone.

I actually was going to do this at one point (just for personal use, cause I'm no crypto guy). Lost the files along the way though.

• MartinDMartinD Member
    edited February 2013

We built our own. Works very well. Also lets you upload data and encrypt it so it's stored securely in a remote location.

Not difficult to do so I'd recommend giving it a go yourself :)

• @MartinD why not open source it?

• @LivingSouL it would require some tidying up and other bits. It was done in such a way to integrate with a few things so it's pretty much tailored to our own needs.

• jhjh Member

I'm thinking of building a "secure notes" folder into each client's profile of Billr for this purpose exactly. What do y'all think?

• Surely a simple 'notes' section would suffice as the whole system should be secure already?

• jhjh Member

@MartinD said: Surely a simple 'notes' section would suffice as the whole system should be secure already?

Only crucial fields are encrypted in the DB, in this case everything in that folder would be encrypted.