Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How they are selling DA for free ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How they are selling DA for free ?

SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran
edited February 2013 in General

Hi, I see that few provider are offering DirectAdmin cp free with their server, specially WSI / DataShack (even with their cheapest servers).. How are they able to provide it for free ?

Comments

• Included in cost?
    Something like "free" shipping from China sellers on eBay.

• ihatetonyyihatetonyy Member
    edited February 2013

I think WSI/DS have legacy licenses for their IPs.. or something. They've got an unlimited license deal going on with DirectAdmin though, so they're not paying per-license or anything.

I assume some other providers have similar arrangements, and that's how they can offer dirt-cheap/free DA licenses.

• Yeah surely they have other rates / bulk prices for it, much cheaper than retail prices.

• Yes, there is bulk pricing. We can offer them for $6/month. About to add this to our VPS as an option today.

• SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

It means they must be getting it for $2-4 per license, hence they are able to offer it along with cheapest server. I will ask them about it :P

• ISPmanager Lite official retail price are €19.00/mo and €171.00/lifetime, while their official resellers are offering it at €3.6/mo and €25.2/lifetime. Just as a comparison in price difference.
    Not only it's almost 7 times cheaper, but also lifetime license are pays off in 7 months.

• SpeedBusSpeedBus Member, Host Rep
    edited February 2013

Datashack / WSI charge a one-time setup fee for those licenses about $5 iirc, but yeah, that license can be used unlimited number of times on the same IP iirc again.

• You can't sell something if it's free ;)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

Yeah I can do $5 licenses so I imagine they get much better prices, sadly no one wants DA, it is offered as an add-on and 2 licenses have been sold in 12 months.

• DA has been around since ~2003 (and looks like it), so if companies bought lifetime licenses 10 years ago, they might as well give them away now.... like @AnthonySmith says, no one's using it for 'new' deployments.

• @AnthonySmith @Damian on some shared accounts it still does the job for me. What is the new hip thingy? cPanel? ssh?

• Well I used to be a big fan of DirectAdmin but at one point cPanel just was working a lot better for me.

• i'm still fan of DA as long as i'm gettin it free :P

But personally i prefer DA as i'd toss softaculous & offer to the clients who just want one-click Install Wordpress, joomla etc.
    It lowers my cost to stay competitive :)

• I looked in to this a while back. Once you do a certain level of business with DirectAdmin, you can get an owned license for $49. The provider just eats the $49 and as it's a lifetime license, they can spread it out over a long period of time.

• @PrismaBreck said: The provider just eats the $49 and as it's a lifetime license, they can spread it out over a long period of time.

Which is what we do too. If someone orders a $5 month license, we either give them an unused lifetime license or buy a new $49 lifetime license.

• @Evixo said: Which is what we do too. If someone orders a $5 month license, we either give them an unused lifetime license or buy a new $49 lifetime license.

Yeah, they openly list $49 as the lifetime licence cost.

• @Pats said: But personally i prefer DA as i'd toss softaculous & offer to the clients who just want one-click Install Wordpress, joomla etc.

Plus I think that most customers don't need support as much as they would need with cPanel.

• http://www.directadmin.com/internal.html

maybe is about volumen.

dont know.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited February 2013

That's under "Licensing / Updates" of my "free" DA from host.

INTERNAL LICENSE -- This special license may not be resold or transferred. For internal datacentre use only. Please contact your server provider for control panel and system technical assistance. Please report unauthorized reselling to [email protected]

Valid After Tue Sep 5 10:00:00 2006

Valid Until Wed Feb 27 02:45:45 2013

Portioned License This Portioned License is a license that has a true expiry at a date farther into the future than is set in the physical key. The license will automatically update to the next time period when the key's expiry nears.

True expiry: Tue Jan 19 07:15:22 2038

It seems like I am good till 2038 unless I cancell before or my host go under.

I don't know why people don't like DA, for me it fails basically in transfer / migration and cross panel adaptivity.. you can transfer account from DA, Plesk to CPanel and is officially supported by cpanel but same is not possible in DA without manual conversion or using third party tool. Neverthless to say, it can really save your costs.

• DA has good chinese and other language packs. Many asians prefer it.

The UI is very simple and straightforward, and in the end it provides the same basic functionality as cpanel.

And has lower overheads than cPanel ..
    I guess can be really good if guys at DA can realize what they have.