Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wholesale / Datashack Network changes - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Wholesale / Datashack Network changes

2»

Comments

• Butter... Parkay... :)

Couldn't resist... sorry... now raise your hand and tell me if you get the joke

• Tell me @Spencer how they are different?

• @pubcrawler

@pubcrawler said: they are two different paper companies.

• Incorporations mean little to nothing when we are talking about two datacenters with common owner, common support team, same routes, etc.

Silly.

• NateN34NateN34 Member
    edited February 2013

Tracing route to 72.22.211.1 over a maximum of 30 hops

10 77 ms 58 ms 47 ms sl-st31-dal-.sprintlink.net [144.232.25.85]
    11 58 ms 47 ms 66 ms 144.232.11.207
    12 47 ms 47 ms 49 ms 144.232.1.162
    13 70 ms 56 ms 61 ms sl-crs2-kc-0-0-0-2.sprintlink.net [144.232.19.14
    1]
    14 60 ms 61 ms 58 ms sl-gw16-kc-0-0-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.11.155]

15 58 ms 67 ms 56 ms sl-cityo35-1-0.sprintlink.net [160.81.151.110]
    16 45 ms 49 ms 44 ms 72.22.211.1

I am seeing a 2 ms latency difference between Wholesale and DataShack. Although, yeah Datashack goes via Sprint, while Wholesale goes via Hurricane Electric.

Odd..

• I am seeing only Sprint now for Datashack.... @NateN34.

• @pubcrawler said: I am seeing only Sprint now for Datashack....

I got so excited when you said Tata was in the mix! My dedi(with DS) is only seeing HE/Cogent :( Interestingly, I am seeing this hop now: wholesale-internet-inc.10gigabitethernet1-3.core1.mci2.he.net [216.66.78.90]

• cogent/he.net isn't terrible tho.

• This change I hope is temporary.

We were at 62ms to Wholesale and 91ms to Datashack earlier.

Now, numbers have changed quite a bit.

37ms to Wholesale and 87ms to Datashack.

37ms to KC is fine. 87ms is a cross continent time and unacceptable.

• Differences are noticeable in other locations.

BuyVM Buffalo:
    Datashack: 57ms
    Wholesale: 31ms

Ramnode Atlanta:
    Datashack: 33ms
    Wholesale: 51ms

Fiberhub Vegas:
    Datashack: 59ms
    Wholesale: 32ms

Times look about even in Lenoir, Dallas and Chicago.

• New day and some more changes.

Latency seems to have come down some to Datashack:

Datashack: 47ms
    Wholesale: 38ms

Still mixing the Sprint and Tata.

• Have you tried submitting a ticket?

• Yeppers @Spencer. I am keenly aware of ticketing. Been in this industry for decades.

• @pubcrawler said: Yeppers @Spencer. I am keenly aware of ticketing. Been in this industry for decades.

There's no need to be condescending.

• @lbft said: There's no need to be condescending.

Yea I am just a poor puppy and mr mean pubcrawler is trying to step on me.

• I always wondered why nobody chose Joes for the L3 connectivity, then i sent them a pre-sale question which took a week to get answered :P

• @Spencer said: Yea I am just a poor puppy and mr mean pubcrawler is trying to step on me.

Are you happy now, @pubcrawler? You've hurt his feelings. :(

• I hope no one gets hurt feelings. Wasn't anything to get upset about.

@GetKVM_Ash, Joe's is at last check a one man miracle operation. Some other reasons why it's third in the tree of consideration in KC when interested in WII/DS.

• @pubcrawler said: Joe's is at last check a one man miracle operation.

Looks like more than one person to me!

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

They have no backup power. That's what sucks about Joe's.

• 7 people? Well, time to update the name and image of the company then.

Definitely should receive better sales inquiry turn around. I see four nerds and three women. Highest female ratio of any tech company ever.

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited February 2013

@shovenose said: They have no backup power. That's what sucks about Joe's.

Some providers around here are single homed, but people are still using them :) That's just as lethal.

But yes, no UPS/Generator in this day and age is pathetic.

• @shovenose said: They have no backup power. That's what sucks about Joe's.

They actually do now! But afaik no UPS

• Backup power with no UPS... There is something that is probably not going to work, eventually.

Wonder what they deem backup power? A+B feeds? Or generator.

Definitely an often time gap between power switchover unless dual fed with everything pulled from different everything.

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited February 2013

@pubcrawler said: Backup power with no UPS... There is something that is probably not going to work, eventually.

Yup. The DC we are considering using in the UK is N+N :P

• Seeing latency ballooning again this evening.

Datashack: 89ms
    Wholesale: 61ms

Previous to whatever changed, ping times were in the 35-50ms range.

Strange because I don't see same effect to other places, meaning it's not latency on my upstream say prior to peering handoff.

Getting lower latency to NY, GA, NC, IL.

• There have been some issues with Cogent in KC the last couple days. The Sprint link you're seeing is our backup to 1321 Burlington where all our colo customers are located. Traffic on the Sprint connection is limited to a single /20. Any traffic to dedicated machines is not going over that link (or shouldn't be anyway). If you're still having latency issues please open a ticket and we'll take a look at it. When you do, please include a traceroute so we can better see where the latency is.

I should also clear up the ownership issue since it seems to be a bone of contention here. :) DataShack and Wholesale Internet are two separate companies. The ownership consists of different people on each side. Management, sales and accounting are separate. Abuse, Billing and Tech Support are combined. We get our bandwidth from Wholesale but beyond the handoff the networks are separate also. Wholesale houses most of it's dedicated servers and colocation at Oak Tower in downtown Kansas City. Our colocation is at 1321 Burlington in North Kansas City and our dedicated servers are at 201 E 16th Ave. Also in North Kansas City.

I, along with a couple other partners, also own a realestate company. We own several commercial, multi tenant buildings in the Kansas City area including the 2 properties that DataShack resides in. We have tenants ranging from datacenters (obviously) to catering companies and event spaces. Aaron, one of the owners of Wholesale, is one of my partners on the realestate side. That's how our two companies got to share some of our resources.

There is no secret, no big conspiricy.

Again, if you see latency issues, please open a ticket. I'm not on LEB a whole lot so tickets work best. We'll do whatever we can to solve the issue.

Brooks

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Thanks for the update @datashack you guys are awesome.