Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opera promoting monoculture - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Opera promoting monoculture

2»

Comments

• I like Opera. Too bad they are funding their operation with Google ad derived money.

We need a browser that isn't paid for like this by advertising. Happened to Mozilla, and Opera, Chrome is 100%... Recommendations?

• This is so disappointing. Presto was truly the superior rendering engine - it's just too bad most web developers can't write compliant HTML for shit.

• I, for one, welcome our new WebKit overlords.

• Actually there has been some interesting interplay of ideas between say Dragonfly and Chrome already. Mini was one of the first commendable mobile browsers. Really a mover in that arena. Just Google it. I really enjoy using Opera, although not as a primary browser, I have in the past. And it's one of the fab five. So if you develop IMHO you need to know it.

• Ah reading this has succesfully ruined my whole day. :(
    I bet von Tetzchner had seen this coming, thiu he left Opera.

For the first time of my life. Now I'm thinking of switching my primary browser. Sad

• My experience with Opera so far is fairly good, because 1) most naughty scripts won't run on it; 2) if something works in Opera, it should work fine in other browsers, not the other way round though.

• @kalam said: I constantly have 80+ tabs open in Firefox.

I don't get this, at all.

Maybe it's because I'm OCD but if you aren't actively using the tab, why bother keeping it open. It's just wasting RAM and CPU anyway.

And dear god, Firefox? I gave Firefox 18 a whirl and it literally couldn't load a single page without freezing up and scrolling extremely laggily.

• nstormnstorm Member
    edited February 2013

Oh, btw I've always hated how FF & Others scroll. Opera has a smooth scroll by default. While Chrome step-scroll are making my eyes watering.
    I know there is an extension for Chrome... but hell it requires permission to read my history and all personal details!? No way!
    And even still, this extension are unusable because it not near the smoothness of opera scroll. Its just lagged and glued scroll.

• Anyone else bothered that Firefox had 3 versions in like 10 years and then 15 in 2?

• @winston said: Anyone else bothered that Firefox had 3 versions in like 10 years and then 15 in 2?

No, as long as they make a decent browser who cares about how they name their versions?