Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Netcup KVM XL vs Online.net Dedibox Classic 2015
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Netcup KVM XL vs Online.net Dedibox Classic 2015

YmpkerYmpker Member
edited March 2016 in General

Which one would you choose for OVZ virtualization?
So far my conclusion on the two offers is:

Netcup:

• More RAM (like way more! 8GB!)

• More uptime (although they only state 99,6% my small servers with them had a 99,8% uptime with uptimerobot so far)

• Network is really good from my experience

• No real support besides uptime issues though forum is active and friendly.

Online.net

• Resources 100% dedicated as it is a dedi box

• Larger disk space (2TB!) although hdd no ssd option available atm

• Also pretty good network ive heard

• more flexible with additional ips

Netcup XL KVM:

• Price: 29,99EUR/mo

• 320 GB SSD/640 HDD

• 24 GB DDR4 ECC RAM

• Intel Xeon E5 2660 v3 (not sure if dual CPU or not but if yes, thats huge!)

• 8 dedicated cores

• 1 Gbit/s unmetered (shared though as it is no dedi box. that being said only had very good experience with netcup network on my smaller vps so far.)

• RAID 10

• 99,6 % Uptime

• IPv4: 1 EURO/month/additional ip + 5 EURO setup. Can only pay 12 months in advance.

• IPv6: /64

• DDOS Protection

Online.net Classic 2015

• Price: 29,99EUR/mo

• 2x1TB sata (hdd)

• 16 GB DD3 ECC

• 1x Intel® Xeon® E3 1220 v2

• 4 Cores (dedicated ofc)

• 1 Gbit/s (300 mbits) premium

• RAID (Software)

• 99,5 % uptime

• IPv4: 2EUR/mo/addtional ip + 3EUR setup

• IPv6: /48

• DDOS Protection (I think onlines is better though)

@ZweiTiger
Arent you also a customer with Netcup? Have you had any larger boxes (L or XL?)

Choose
  1. Which one would you choose for OVZ virtualization?26 votes
    1. Netcup XL
      42.31%
    2. Online.net Classic 2015
      57.69%

Comments

• TarZZ92TarZZ92 Member
    edited March 2016

the online wins anyday. single threaded and probably multi threaded, and the Netcup ones probably aint dedicated cores but "dedicated" threads

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited March 2016

@TarZZ92 said:
    the online wins anyday. single threaded and probably multi threaded, and the Netcup ones probably aint dedicated cores but "dedicated" threads

It says dedicated CORES though. I will email them today :) if it were cores then netcup would have a lead id recon, eh?

Thanked by 1Sokaris07
  • Ympker said: It says dedicated CORES though. I will email them today

so do most hosts here, but most oversell by selling threads as cores.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited March 2016

@TarZZ92 said:
    so do most hosts here, but most oversell by selling threads as cores.

That might be true for some hosts but from my previous experience with them and from what I have heard I dont assume they are overselling their resources. Atleast not to a noticeable extent.

EDIT

Netcup just replied that we in fact talk about DEDICATED CORES (not threads).

• ShigawireShigawire Member
    edited March 2016

My netcup KVM ran like hell, so unless you are trying to do nested virt, go with it :)

But note that there's an online.net Dedi with an e3 and 32GB RAM for 36€.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • that E5 performs between a E3 and E5 from benchmarks http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/search?q=E5-2660+v3

(btw cpubenchmark is useless dont use it)

• @TarZZ92 said:
    that E5 performs between a E3 and E5 from benchmarks http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/search?q=E5-2660+v3

(btw cpubenchmark is useless dont use it)

Ah thanks for the headsup! Is cpubench that bad? So would that link be your average bench lookup site?

• Benchmark

Netcup SSD Root Server L

serverbear.com/benchmark/2016/03/29/oacEKjn76V3SDGAh

Online.net Dedicated Limited Edition 1115 (2x2TB SATA with Raid battery cache , xeon E31220 , 16GB ECC DDR3 memory)

serverbear.com/benchmark/2016/03/29/GDY1QwPdK3C2FtI0

Well the performance is very good at netcup , almost reach the online.net dedicated server. Also the SSD speed at netcup is very good. Got 100k read ips and 43k write iops. (online.net got around 990 and 730)

Greetings from Hungary :)

--
    I paste my bench here too maybe useful.

I am a new customer so.. Dont know they are good or not but seems yes :)

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @ZweiTiger said:
    Benchmark

Netcup SSD Root Server L

serverbear.com/benchmark/2016/03/29/oacEKjn76V3SDGAh

Online.net Dedicated Limited Edition 1115 (2x2TB SATA with Raid battery cache , xeon E31220 , 16GB ECC DDR3 memory)

serverbear.com/benchmark/2016/03/29/GDY1QwPdK3C2FtI0

Well the performance is very good at netcup , almost reach the online.net dedicated server. Also the SSD speed at netcup is very good. Got 100k read ips and 43k write iops. (online.net got around 990 and 730)

Greetings from Hungary :)

--
    I paste my bench here too maybe useful.

I am a new customer so.. Dont know they are good or not but seems yes :)

Thanks for the bench :) Well I have smaller vps with them 6 months and am really happy :P

• CryckCryck Member

@Ympker said:
    Well I have smaller vps with them 6 months and am really happy :P

As you said you are happy with them on another product...
    And since you have to pay Set-up fees: €40.00 and taxes on top of the monthly 29,99€ at online.net, you should definitely go with Netcup.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • @Cryck said:
    And since you have to pay Set-up fees: €40.00 and taxes on top of the monthly 29,99€ at online.net, you should definitely go with Netcup.

The thing is I am always hesitant as I see KVM vs Dedicated and I still cant really evaluate if KVM would underperform that badly. Then again I have already used ovz virtualization without performance problems with netcups kvm solutions. Just wondering if dedi would make that much a difference?

• I'd go with a dedi. It's your resources and no big difference in price. If you can, go with a larger box from online. They're really worth it.

• @Ympker said:

Please note.. disk fails , server fails and try to discover whats the problem with the dedicated? Oh my cpu fan failed hoops. Hoops my disk failed. Raid 1? Oh great my data will be there but the server fail anyway...

Only the MD 2015 lead the quality:
    https://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-md

Raid card , and SSD. I will never buy a server without SSD..

So the conclusion with KVM.. take a seat and enjoy the server run the server run and who care about the other thing. There is no other things.

But who like to monitor servers like me at online.net and fear when my hardware would fail...

But thats another story.. backup backup and time time.

Your choice :) Less headache with KVM and less performance. But seems not too much less regarding my benchmark.

Thanked by 1Ympker