Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH custom kernels and R1Soft
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH custom kernels and R1Soft

Has anyone been able to run R1Soft on OVH custom kernels? their kernels seem to be missing the kernel headers and OVH says that they don't provide the kernel headers of their custom kernels as they are 'private'.

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

I don't use the custom kernels at all but I would assume it is a reason. Why not just install regular kernel? Why did you even use their kernel in the install process :/

• Is that a vps or a dedicated? if is dedicated, you should be able to install linux, using your iso via IPMI.

• @EVM_Mike said:
    I don't use the custom kernels at all but I would assume it is a reason. Why not just install regular kernel? Why did you even use their kernel in the install process :/

If it was my choice I wouldn't even use OVH in the first place :) , its a server belonging to a person I know and he wanted r1soft installed.

Can I just install the regular CentOS 6.7 kernel without causing issues? he has cPanel installed and plenty of data which he already lost a few days ago and had to rebuild as he restarted the server and forgot he was configured MYSQl to store everything in the ramdisk.

• Yes it should be fine. Lucky you have CentOS 6 and not 7. I spent a few days figuring that out:) If you need assistance though I can help you out for a small fee.

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Check if you can boot your server on a rescue distrib in case you have to edit system files outside the OS.

You can install the regular kernel and configure grub to boot on the new kernel.

If something goes wrong just boot on the rescue distrib and roll back modifications in grub.