Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free "Listserv" service?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Free "Listserv" service?

Hello everyone

Wondering if there are any recommendations for a free or very low cost listserv service ($1 or $2 a month).

I am the assistant-captain of my slo-pitch team and the season is going to start soon. I want to be able to email everyone on the team (about 22 people) weekly game reminders, practice days, cancellations etc. etc. and would much rather send one email to a listserv to have it re-distributed.

Thought I would throw it out here with the wealth of knowledge this community has.

Thanks!

P.S. I do use Sendgrid for transactional email ... if they have a feature I'm missing I could easily use that.

Comments

• Can't you set up your email client to simply BCC a bunch of people with a local mail distribution list? Personally, I use postfix aliases to broadcast to small groups of opt in folks.

• @ACaton, Have you tried MailChimp?

You can either create custom sign-up forms or embed them on your website.

The free plan may be used for up to 2000 subscribers and 12000 emails per month.

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • @BeardyUnixGuy said:
    ACaton, Have you tried MailChimp?

You can either create custom sign-up forms or embed them on your website.

The free plan may be used for up to 2000 subscribers and 12000 emails per month.

They have stopped the free plan.

• nepsneps Member

@ACaton

Surely what you're thinking of is overkill for only one group, and an extremely small group at that. Most webmail services have some sort of "groups" feature; and at the very least you could keep a copy of all their email addresses in CSV format, and copy-paste it whenever you need to send an update.

• @neps said:
    ACaton

Surely what you're thinking of is overkill for only one group, and an extremely small group at that. Most webmail services have some sort of "groups" feature; and at the very least you could keep a copy of all their email addresses in CSV format, and copy-paste it whenever you need to send an update.

I was thinking it might be a bit overkill as well, but another feature I was hoping for was the Captain to be able to use it as well ... and he is not very technically inclined.

For simplicity, we would ideally just have one email address to broadcast for us.

• Use MXRoute with the Mailing List feature in cPanel.

• nepsneps Member

You could sign up a Gmail (not sure if Gmail allows auto-forwarding to multiple addresses) or Zoho account, and set it to auto-forward all incoming emails to all in your group. People will have to confirm that they wish to allow forwarding to them though, before you can turn on forwarding.

• I help a rugby team with their web and email presence, and we ended up using WordPress with the Newsletter plugin from Tribulant: any post that goes to the home page is automatically sent by email to the list of all players (~50).

We're hosting this at WebFaction and use their email servers for sending the emails. Not LET pricing, but we're happy with the service.

• If you're looking to notify a small team. Both slack and telegram are good options.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

YahooGroups might be a good fit. Some friends of mine use it as an email list.

• Thanks very much to everyone for their suggestions. I'm going to take a look at all of them and find the right fit!!

• Take a look at Tinyletter, I'm not sure if they will keep running the service since it's provided/created by mailchimp.