Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Site CheapHTTPS.info (not selling anything!) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My Site CheapHTTPS.info (not selling anything!)

Comments

• DStroutDStrout Member

Since there seems to be some interest, I'll see about bringing it online. Hopefully be up in skeletal form in a few hours, with full images to follow.

• It was a good site, you should :)

• DStroutDStrout Member

I'm working on reissuing the SSL certificate for the site. Thanks to @eastonch for sponsoring the box the site will be on.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@tehdan said: You could save $1.99 by using startssl...

Last time I looked at StartSSL, it required you to import their certificate into your browser. Fine for me, but useless for serving the internet as a whole. 99.9% of people are not going to do that, or even know how.

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited May 2013

@raindog308 said: 99.9% of people are not going to do that, or even know how.

@DStrout said: Simplicity is a factor here as well as cost.

Exactly.

• heiskaheiska Member

@raindog308 said: Last time I looked at StartSSL, it required you to import their certificate into your browser. Fine for me, but useless for serving the internet as a whole. 99.9% of people are not going to do that, or even know how.

wut?

StartSSL certificate is included by default in Mozilla Firefox 2.x and higher, in Apple Mac OS X since version 10.5 (Leopard), all Microsoft operating systems since 24 September 2009,[5][6] and Opera since 27 July 2010.[7] Since Google Chrome, Apple Safari and the Internet Explorer use the certificate store of the operating system, all major browsers include support for StartSSL certificates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StartCom#Trustedness

• bcrlsnbcrlsn Member
    edited May 2013

Woops. Nulling that post I just made. :P

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited May 2013

Just waiting on the approver e-mail to come in. It wouldn't have taken so long but I made a mistake with the approver e-mail address. Shouldn't be long now. I have the files on the server, as soon as I get the certificate I should be good to go.

Edit: If you don't mind a self-signed certificate, you can access the site now. Just wanted to get it up now so I could work on the images while Comodo takes its slow time.

• krokro Member

Someone should check more often I guess lol

• DStroutDStrout Member

Check what more often?

• shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

he probably means the site lol

• ATHKATHK Member

Ironic that the sites ssl cert isn't verified.

• @DStrout said: Edit: If you don't mind a self-signed certificate, you can access the site now. Just wanted to get it up now so I could work on the images while Comodo takes its slow time.

@ATHK said: Ironic that the sites ssl cert isn't verified.

• ATHKATHK Member
    edited May 2013

@MrObvious thanks! fitting name for the purpose you just served.

Still doesn't matter, they are cheap but he had to self sign it :P

• DStroutDStrout Member

Weird, usually the approver e-mail has come through by now. Oh well, I've got plenty to do, still getting images together.

• DStroutDStrout Member

OK, seriously, where is that e-mail? I should have gotten it ages ago.

• graemepgraemep Member

@raindog308 StartSSL require that you import the client certificate they issue you, rather than relying on username/passwords for login.

@DStrout would mentioning the Firefox Certificate Patrol extension and similar be too much for your target audience?

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited May 2013

@graemep Yeah, probably a bit out of scope. In other news:

06:55 You are now chatting with Kristina K. (SSL Customer Support) - SSL Support
    06:55 Kristina K.: Hello D. Strout!
    06:55 D. Strout: Hello!
    06:55 Kristina K.: How can I help you today?
    06:56 D. Strout: I tried to reissue an SSL certificate, but accidentally chose the wrong approver e-mail.
    06:56 D. Strout: Should I just re-re-issue?
    06:56 Kristina K.: May I know your certificate's order ID?
    06:56 D. Strout: Order ID 7795***
    06:57 Kristina K.: Thank you
    06:57 Kristina K.: Please hold on, I'm checking
    06:57 D. Strout: ok
    06:59 Kristina K.: Is *****@cheaphttps.info the wrong email?
    07:01 D. Strout: *****@cheaphttps.info is the correct e-mail, but in the order details I have the approver e-mail as [email protected]
    07:01 D. Strout: I know *****@ works, but it has been quite some time and I have yet to receive the approval e-mail.
    07:02 Kristina K.: As we can see, you have attempted the reissue of the order with the approver email as *****@cheaphttps.info. But the approver email has not been sent to you till now because of some issues on our side, not with your email.
    07:03 Kristina K.: Please be informed that the issue was kept under review by your Engineering team and will be resolved during the next 2 hours.
    07:04 Kristina K.: And the approver email will automatically be set to *****@cheaphttps.info
    07:04 D. Strout: So you are saying that I actually did choose the correct e-mail, *****@cheaphttps.info, but the sending of the approval e-mail was held up by the engineering team?
    07:05 Kristina K.: Yes, once the issue is resolved, you reissue order will be placed at the CA and approver email will be sent to *****@cheaphttps.info
    07:06 D. Strout: What is the issue? Also, why do the order details record a different approver e-mail?
    07:08 Kristina K.: Some of the reissue orders are pending in a queue at our system before placing at the certificate authority
    07:08 D. Strout: OK. Thanks for the help.

...Kinda weird. I personally think they got suspicious when they saw the domain name.

• tehdantehdan Member
    edited May 2013

@raindog308 the client certificate you import is to authenticate yourself to their site - it offers security over and above a simple username/password, another good reason to use startssl. To be clear, only the cert issuer needs it.

The last time I had a browser reject a startssl cert I was using a circa 2001 Symbian phone...

• TimTim Member

Yep, what @tehdan said. People visiting your site don't need to manually import the cert, that's just for you to use to log in and manage it. Also, definitely back that up in a few places :).

• bnmklbnmkl Member

CheapHTTPS.info on stock Android :

• rds100rds100 Member

@bnmkl nice gravatars you have there ;-)

• bnmklbnmkl Member
    edited May 2013

Haha @rds100.

There is something else ... But you were too horny to see.

• DStroutDStrout Member
    edited May 2013

Finally got the approver e-mail in! Approved and now have the certificate.

• DStroutDStrout Member

The certificate is now up! I have most of the images, too, but I need to be on Windows to make the rest, which I will be in a little while.

• AndreAndre Member
    edited May 2013

@DStrout – working nicely (:
    Chrome on stock Android 4.2.2

Also @bnmkl, that ain't stock.. I can tell that Samsung has gone ahead and uglified everything there

• He's probably missing the intermediate root cert.

Most modern browsers won't care, most.

• bnmklbnmkl Member

Haha. Very true @Andre.

I usually cry into my pillow most nights, most.

• tehdantehdan Member

@bnmkl - from the cronology of this thread its clear you hit the site while it was still using a self-signed cert.

@Wintereise - isn't it just that an increasing number of browsers have the intermediate cert themselves?

@DStrout - how about an honourable mention for StartSSL on your site?

• DStroutDStrout Member

Site is fully up with certificate and images. I do intent to review this thread and make some changes to some of the content. Keep an eye on the site! Also, since I have a nice new server from @eastonch specifically for this sort of thing, feel free to suggest any type of tutorial/help Grandma understand tech/whatever type of site.